Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at picking up my first bike. I am looking for a late 70's Yamaha XS650. I was wondering what i should be looking for to know I am getting a reliable bike? Any quick tests I could do to make sure? Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Buy something that you can ride, in other words, not another person's project that never got completed. If you find a decent runner you can do some simple tests without too many tools. When the engine is warmed up and idling, pull one of the spark plug leads, if the other cylinder is healthy the bike will continue to run, if not, it probably won't. Do both sides. Of course if you have a compression tester you don't need to do the spark plug test.
But generally, a test ride will give you a good feel for the bike if you know bikes. If you don't, bring someone who does.
If possible it's a good idea to ask the seller not to start the bike before you show up, cold starts can be revealing.
The common sense things like tires, lights, everything you'll need to pass a State Inspection, and a title(!)should not be overlooked.
Be ready with cash if you find the right bike, and if it's really the right bike be ready to pay.
FWIW I'd be looking for a '78 or older, I'm not crazy about the "Midnight Special" theme on post '78 models.

FR

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks FR. Anyone else have any tips at all?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah.

If you are just looking for a bike... look for something other than an XS650.

They're cool as shit, but they're coveted. You could buy other models for less, in better shape. I'm tellin' ya.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Care to make any suggestions rat? I kinda got my heart on a xs but suggestions are always welcome.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not really.

I watch my local bikefinders pretty closely... CB750s and XS650s... they're priced high and snapped up quickly. To be honest, I rarely even see XS650s come up for sale.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help rat suggest not an XS then suggest nothing that post was worth while definitely.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
haha!

xs's arent in my opinion quite as desirable as the cb's but then again, around here, cb750's arent that hot either. but i think the xs' are harder to find. there was kind of a cool one at the bike nite tex and i were at the other nite. setup dirt tracker style.

j

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I kinda like xs's cause they arent a cb's but i dont really know why i have such a desire to get one, but joe you got any secrets to know i am not getting a lemon?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey Zoulou...

go find yourself an XS then, get hung up on buying only an XS, and pay more for it than you have to because the guys who own them know that "Chopper" guys are snapping them up at every opportunity.

How's that for helpful? I didn't suggest anything because only you know what you're looking for... is it that you really want a 70s bike? is it you really want a twin? only you know. Start buying bike traders... every time you see a bike in your price range, go read up on it. You want cheap? Start looking early 80s. There's tons of 80s bikes out there...

Buy a bike. A running bike. One that goes when you twist the throttle and stops when you use the brakes. One that needs a bit of work that you can sell and not lose money... one that gives you a bit of experience working on bikes so that when you find that XS, you can pick it up and ensure that it doesn't become a pile of parts sitting in your garage for years.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I'm going to parrot what has been said already and add that a little common sense will a long way at this point. first bike is a big deal. I love yamahas but I think you are limiting your self unnecessarily. It could be a long wait for the right xs. If you're bucks up, then fire away at the next nice example that shows up online. otherwise, I would suggest you broaden the search to include the gs500 and the ex500. both are entertaining rides, plentiful, easily modified, and reasonable priced.
cheers, bcr

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea I have my heart stuck on an XS but i agree I'll probably end up with something else. Thanks for the suggestions bcr anyone else have a good bike. It needs to be around the 1980's and below 650 cc for insurance to be affordable for me.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I just picked up a '77 Suzuki GS400 for cheap money. I'm kind of impressed with the bike, decent power, 6 spd tranny and it looks like an easy conversion to a cafe. It doesn't have the cache that some of the more desirable bikes from that period have, but that also means you can get 'em cheap. The only thing I'm not thrilled about is the shim/bucket valve arrangement, which makes it a PITA to do a valve adjustment. Other than that it's stone simple.

FR

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found a bike thats just about 10 miles away and its exactly what I want. 1979 Yamaha XS650. Cant wait to go see it on Saturday.

·
Registered
699 Posts
just remember Lou, we are a finicky bunch, so we better see some pics saturday!!! LOL!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh definitely bringing the camera.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally pulled the trigger and got a bike today. 1979 Yamaha XS650 Special. I am so excited. I have a couple pictures but I am forum retarded and can never figure out how to post pictures so if anyone would like to help me or host them for me that would be great.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are the picture of my new bike hope these work.

The seat and the bars are the first thing I plan to change but that will probably take a little while as I am working on a very limited budget. BTW anyone know where to find a seat for a '79 xs650 special its almost like they don't exist

1 - 20 of 25 Posts