Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I taught my wife to ride a bit on my KZ440, she likes riding and wants her own bike now. So I started looking for a bike for her, something in the 400-500 cc range, mostly something for her to get comfortable on, but still be able to keep up on longer rides. I have seen a few bikes pop up, mostly junk really. But then she said "What if you get a bigger bike and I ride yours?" So now I am looking for two different bikes and seeing which one I find first and looks best for the price. I found this one, looks ok save for the seat and sounds maintained, Thoughts?

https://lewiston.craigslist.org/mcy/d/culdesac-1980-yamaha-xs850/6864250461.html

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
If she isn't stuck on vintage you might want to look at something like an early century Kawasaki 500. Smooth, cute, comfortable and predictable. Gives her something she enjoys getting on, quick enough she can grow her skills, while still being able to cover a decent days miles. Leaves you with a ride you know while you find and/or put together whatever is next.
Along these lines, this ones $1100 US https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/st-catharines/01-kawasaki-ninja-500r/1426126704?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She really likes the TU250X. I guess I trained her proper, go for the better looking bikes lol. But I think mostly she likes that the dealer has a 2017 (never sold) for $3k

2019-Suzuki-TU250X2.jpg

Her best friend also wants to ride, but since she is a shorty (5'4") I recommended a 19' Honda Rebel, low enough in the saddle that she would be able to flat foot at a stop.

2019_Rebel500_05.jpg

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
We had a huge number of CBR250's and CBR500s hit the market at really good prices new old stock, as a result the market for used ones is really good because the original owner doesn't have tons of money tied up in it. A single will always be the simplest to service, both are really nice rides, capable of decent speed plus you can fit good rubber on the 500. ymmv in Idaho,
The Suzuki TX is a sweet little ride in classic style, less capable on the highway but at 3k new :| if she like it, buy it and make her happy
but buy her some proper riding gear too :| it's awful watching your wife go down :eek: wait that don't sound right

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's awful watching your wife go down :eek: wait that don't sound right
How the hell did you see that? I thought I had all those videos removed from the internet

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I was looking at Tu's a couple weeks ago, a 2019 was only $3300US here. You might want to hammer that dealer a little longer. A 250 thumper is a long day on a bike.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking at Tu's a couple weeks ago, a 2019 was only $3300US here. You might want to hammer that dealer a little longer. A 250 thumper is a long day on a bike.
Agreed. My wife will not be doing any long rides anytime soon, mostly commuting back and forth to work until she is ready for something bigger. I dont see her ever needing anything bigger than a 650. Her uncle keeps trying to talk her into a HD of some sort, but she prefers bikes that arent selling for a million times what they should be

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Unless the engine is trying to drag around two tubbies on a couch or the rider has a lot of miles on mid weight performance bikes, I don't see a need for more than a 650. I haven't owned a litre bike in 30 years and have never found a situation where I lacked the ponies I needed. When I want to get the heart pounding I've got a FZ400 with a pair of flypaper Pirellis and my favourite set of twisties, "she doesn't fly, but she's quick enough to die". The reason I like a basic 500 for a more mature new rider is that they are mild enough to learn on while having enough performance that they can ride it into the future. Woman being woman, she is likely a lot more sensible then we of the nutted variety and her first mission won't be to see how fast it goes.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
2006 Ducati Monster - $4500 hide this posting

image 1 of 7

2006 Ducati Monster

condition: good
engine displacement (CC): 620
fuel: gas
odometer: 4700
paint color: red
title status: clean
transmission: manual

Have a 06 Ducati Monster 620cc with 4700 miles on it. As spring is approaching it is time for me to sell my beloved bike. This bike has been great for me, its a 5 Speed, the oil has just been changed, along with the front fork seals being replaced. The bike has all the paperwork with it, along with some minor scratches, other than that the bike is in great condition. Runs great and is a pretty quick little bike, feel free to contact with any question, offers are welcome, no trades

Except look for one closer to NADA pricing

Values

Suggested
List Price
Low
Retail
Average
Retail
Base Price$7,495$1,690$2,225
Total Price$7,495$1,690$2,225

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
She really likes the TU250X. I guess I trained her proper, go for the better looking bikes lol. But I think mostly she likes that the dealer has a 2017 (never sold) for $3k

View attachment 97377
You know if I bought that for my wife I think the only thing I would do to it is remove the pillion seat and passenger footpegs.
... if she is riding with bigger bikes she is going to need to slightly ring the piss out of it to keep up or set pace,
you might need to convince her (once it's broken in) to not be afraid of hurting it, ride it like you stole it.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know, a few hundred miles of that thumper screaming between her legs and Ews may be out of a job.
Just a remark on bikes for short riders. It's not only seat height but also seat width that matters.
That's true. I was looking at a few 110 dirt bikes this weekend for my daughters and the Honda has a slightly wider seat than the Kawasaki, daughter could flat foot the Kawi, not the Honda

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
No worries, they work a lot better when your feet are on the pegs anyway ;) just as long as you can reach those you should be able to ride it.
What you do is hook your leg over the saddle and slide off the other side to put a toe down. Been there lots of times,
also been where you can't put a foot down or you die.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At 6'2" I've never had an issue putting my feet down on anything yet

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Happens when your front wheel is on a rock and your rear wheel is on a different rock and there is nothing but vertical drop between the wheels. Is a trials bike thing.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Happens when your front wheel is on a rock and your rear wheel is on a different rock and there is nothing but vertical drop between the wheels. Is a trials bike thing.
Fair enough.

After talking to my wife more about it this weekend, I almost have her convinced to let me buy a 19' W800 or a 19' Z900RS (but she said only the Cafe version because it looks like shit in that weird redish orange color). I like both bikes, just not sure which I would rather have. The parts guy at the local Kawi dealer has a z900rs and loves it, says its plenty comfy for riding two up, and enough bike for a good long solo ride without killing your ass or lower back. But I'll be damned if I dont love the look of that new w800.

Z900RS-Cafe-side-view.jpg

Kawasaki-W800-2019-The-Bike-Shed-1.jpg

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
(but she said only the Cafe version because it looks like shit in that weird redish orange color).
Your wife has questionable taste.

I like both bikes, just not sure which I would rather have. The parts guy at the local Kawi dealer has a z900rs and loves it, says its plenty comfy for riding two up, and enough bike for a good long solo ride without killing your ass or lower back. But I'll be damned if I dont love the look of that new w800.

View attachment 97395

View attachment 97397
I had a chance to sit on both these bikes on Friday. I've ridden a new z900 non -rs and the older w650 so I also kind of know how they feel. As a fellow tall guy, get the z900rs, it's a way better fitting bike for taller riders. I loved the W650 I rode way back when and I can't imagine the W800 would disappoint, but the ergonomics were all off for a taller rider on the W800 I sat on.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts