Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
23,284 Posts
Up here it would be a simple matter of which one you could not afford the insurance for.
I love canada but you are not making a case for ever living there. Well, you and the weather.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Fortunately as a Vet, I get access to dirt cheap insurance. Full coverage with all the bells and whistles, $120/year.

I do feel that the z900RS is likely to be more comfortable, but it's that damn teenager in me that gets a woody every time I see the W800. I'm only 37 so maybe I could ride it a few more years before my back side says no more. But I will likely get a Z900 when the time comes

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Read this today:
"I ride a 2007 Triumph Bonneville (865cc) and I'm trying to get my girlfriend into riding. I bought a 1978 Kawasaki KZ 200 (200cc) for her to learn on and I started teaching her the basics in a big empty car park. I had contacted my insurance company and asked for some quotes for what it would cost to insure her but they said they couldn't provide a quote until she had a license. On Saturday she sat the M1 theory test and passed so we started looking at quotes today.

The first company has said that with 2 licensed riders and 2 bikes, one rides needs to be the primary on each bike. They've come back with a quote for $4500 per year with Wawanesa for her to ride the Kawasaki which is more than double what I would have hoped would be the maximum. The broker told me she could only find one company who would insure M1 riders."

... and both freakin bikes are in his name.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
That boy paints a pretty dismal picture of M/C life in Canada. Keep telling him to move west.

Less than 200 per year with a collector plate. Just basic insurance with some extra liability. Normally 300, but I have merit points for not getting caught. Restrictions are you can't use it for school or work. We have way less regulation here. Open wheel hotrods, ride all year around most years.

Why else would I drag this home FFS.

My bike, not my house, not my palm tree.

Ps... my house has a little pond in the back yard and the goldfish stay in there all year.

GL.jpg

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The first company has said that with 2 licensed riders and 2 bikes, one rides needs to be the primary on each bike. They've come back with a quote for $4500 per year with Wawanesa for her to ride the Kawasaki which is more than double what I would have hoped would be the maximum. The broker told me she could only find one company who would insure M1 riders."

... and both freakin bikes are in his name.
I just about choked on my drink at that. I can buy a whole bike or two for that. Sheesh

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I've got two giant rivers

13750806023_aaf0a9f0c8_b.jpg

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Cool! I been there.
but I'm the only one on the lake and I can eat the fish without being worried about industrial waste.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Now that is a hell of a perk.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I've got two giant rivers

View attachment 97401
The rivers are great, could you move the people?

In Ontario you don't want to divide your premium by the actual number of nice riding days. You'd end up flailing yourself in the corner yelling "stupid, stupid, stupid". I sold a young guy a CB400T last spring. He's 26, clean car licence, at the second level of the 3 step motorcycle licensing, has the approved safety courses and he starts at $1600/yr.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
How the hell can anyone afford to own a bike up there? I pay $36 a year for registration and feel like that's a lot on a 36 year old bike. What does it cost to have your bikes registered up there? 20% of your annual salary and a lifetime of indentured servitude to Tim Hortons?

·
Registered
23,284 Posts
How the hell can anyone afford to own a bike up there? I pay $36 a year for registration and feel like that's a lot on a 36 year old bike. What does it cost to have your bikes registered up there? 20% of your annual salary and a lifetime of indentured servitude to Tim Hortons?
$36? that's cheap. In ohio I pay $47 per vehicle regardless as to whether is it a bike or a car. Keep in mind I have 6 running registered bikes in ohio currently. I remember in NYC when they increased the registration fee from $12 to 42 in 2010 and I was furious because I had 10 registered bikes at the time.

Insurance is $390 per year for the ducati as a modern sport bike and $380 for all 6 vintage bikes through Hagerty. Then again, I am a middle aged man who hasn't had an at fault accident in 14 years and a ticket of any kind in just as long. BTW, that's full coverage per year prices.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Oh I know $36 is cheap. Before I moved to Idaho, it cost me almost $100 a year to register my 02' Sportster. One thing I liked about Montana though is once a car truck or bike passes something like 10 years old, you can pay a bit extra and have permanent plates. Wish Idaho did that, oh well.

·
Registered
23,284 Posts
Ohio does that but the restrictions on historical plates are more strict than most places and the cops here actually write tickets for it. Actually, Ohio is such a joke of over-enforcement of speeding and general motor vehicle laws it's actually written into the movie cannonball run. The only thing they don't write for is vehicle inspection because there aren't any - roads filled with janky death traps on bald tires but don't you dare take your collector car/bike to work on a friday!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
$36? that's cheap. In ohio I pay $47 per vehicle regardless as to whether is it a bike or a car. Keep in mind I have 6 running registered bikes in ohio currently. I remember in NYC when they increased the registration fee from $12 to 42 in 2010 and I was furious because I had 10 registered bikes at the time.

Insurance is $390 per year for the ducati as a modern sport bike and $380 for all 6 vintage bikes through Hagerty. Then again, I am a middle aged man who hasn't had an at fault accident in 14 years and a ticket of any kind in just as long. BTW, that's full coverage per year prices.
We pay for a transfer of ownership, an actual slip of paper that is kept on the bike. It can be fit or unfit, fit means it can be licenced. Unfit means it must pass Gov't safety inspection before it becomes fit and can be licenced. The actual licence plate renewal isn't bad or change of ownership cost aren't bad but I can't come up with a number. The advantage of our system is we can trace a bike to when it was first registered in Ontario. Any used vehicle should come with a mandatory seller package any vintage/antique bikes are supposed to be be appraised.

The killer is insurance. It is mandatory, which is good but it is ridiculously expensive. It is a shining example of corruption Canadian style. I can't remember if Geeto's Duck is a 1000, if it is I would guess I would pay double his premium and if I want to insure 6 then that is 6 separate premiums. Snowmobiles and ATV's are legal anywhere where I am and to insure 2 sleds, 2 atv's and a quick boat is about the same as a 600cc sport bike for me. Now they may go down with experience and I'll be at 44 years soon and my only claim was in 1983 so I'm excited that this may be my year.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
That's crazy. Idaho has an obsession with chip sealing instead of fixing the roads. Might be why there are so many windshield places around here. Glad to see my road taxes are being put to good use...

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I asked my agent once if they thought 3$ per kilometre times 2 bikes was reasonable just for minimum legal coverage on 1 rider, not counting fuel or anything else.
the sick [email protected]#$%^& seemed to be good with that.

might be cheaper for me to hire a limo with a hot looking driver then to ride my sport bike solo

:| And we even have socialized health care! if I fall down go boom I already paid for that service,
I just flash them my magic plastic hospital card and tell them my horse threw me, then they have to fix me up.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I asked my agent once if they thought 3$ per kilometre times 2 bikes was reasonable just for minimum legal coverage on 1 rider, not counting fuel or anything else.
the sick [email protected]#$%^& seemed to be good with that.

might be cheaper for me to hire a limo with a hot looking driver then to ride my sport bike solo

:| And we even have socialized health care! if I fall down go boom I already paid for that service,
I just flash them my magic plastic hospital card and tell them my horse threw me, then they have to fix me up.
What do you pay for your MV?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
$3/Km? that's utter insanity. Just goes to show that no one country has it all worked out. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts