Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting a cafe for a while now, finally started looking around and found one that looks promising. I don't know how much is a fair price and wanted some opinions. I am a pretty good mechanic but I've never opened an engine or carbs (I fix furnaces and a/c) and I don't really have any room to totally take apart a bike (single car garage with 2 bikes already and car) and I don't have any fabrication tools but my granpa does. So I am torn between buying a project bike and one that is somewhat finished. The one I have my eye on is somewhat finished but I would still like to change it a bit.

The bike I am looking at is actually just down the street from me its a 72 cb450. Anything I should know about these bikes? Are parts hard to get or impossible? Would it be good for a first cafe? Unfortunately it would have to stay outside but under a covered patio with a cover so it won't get wet, would the bike be ok like that? I've never owned an old bike before so I don't know what I'm getting into.

Anyway, here is the bike.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/mcy/805318813.html

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
seems a little HIGH in price.

gotta be other things out there, that are running, which you can bolt on parts to.....

i'd probably pass.

tex

·
Registered
156 Posts
that thing is a piece of shit for that amount of dough.

it looks like a project bike, and they dont cost $2500

I got my 350 for $200, it runs and has only 5000 miles on it, I'll be putting about $1000 into it and it'll look perfect.

Imagine yourself doing the same and NOT buying something like that

·
Registered
42 Posts
Everyone else is right, $2500 is way to high for that bike. I'd say $500 or $600 would be more like it IF it's really in good running shape. CB450's can be awesome vintage bikes, with descent parts availability. I could never bring myself to store an old bike outside. Rust and corrosion don't need any help on 30+ year old bikes.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Another bike to check is a Yammie XS 650 . Tons of them out there and parts are dirt cheap .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Keep checking craigslist daily, I did that for about a month and bought my cl350 for $50, but now Im looking for a motor. I've learned it may be better to get a complete bike, even one that runs, because it will be cheaper in the long run. Also research the title laws in your state before buying something with only a bill of sale. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts