Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone

I am looking for what will be my first motorcycle only jacket and wanted to get some opinions on what might be some good options - I did look a little at some of the nylon/material jackets that have the d30 armor and a few of the joe rocket leather jackets - I am not committed to any particular brand
I am not sure which to go with and it is an investment - money wise and safety wise -so I thought I would turn to those I trust with more knowledge and experience than I -

any thoughts?

thanks

Sean

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I stay away from Joe Rocket and Icon. They tend to have issues with unraveling. Alpine Stars, Dianese, Even Teknik are decent. I have one textile jacket that I wear when n my cruiser, but usually I ride in full leathers....most of my riding is aggressive canyon riding, or track.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I'm sure there are great brands out there but I use Dainese. I also have an Alpinestars and that's fine as well.

I stay away from the flashy colors only because I will keep a good jacket way longer than I keep my bikes. Black blends with everything.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Cortex Tour Master guy myself and wife. We like the 3 jackets in one so you n peel off layer as the season gets hotter and put it on at night or in fall

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I have all types but personally I like my leather jackets best. I don't want to sound too hipster but I really like my Buffalo type leather. For what ever reason I feel less wind resistance on that type of jacket than my other ones. I've wondered if it the folded over leather that makes it less resistance to wind. In actuality - most folks have several different jackets - depending on the weather and distance your going to ride. I'll give you one tip -buying used is much cheaper than buying new.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I've spent loads of money on Belstaff, Dainese, etc over the years. Bought this cordura jacket on ebay a few weeks ago. At £45 it's a bargain.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone - I will probably try to find one that can go through at leas a few weather conditions - I am guessing something with a zip out lining - but material has been the biggest question so far

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Leather jackets don't really handle the rain like a textile jacket can IMO. I've got a vented textile jacket for summer, and a lined textile fully sealed jacket for winter. The winter jacket is awesome in the wet, but of course, it can get hot when it's warm out.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I like leather, and am thinking of treating myself to a Brooks or Vanson jacket this year in Italian colors to go with my Guzzi. I like the protection from leather, though textile may actually be better. Jamie at Brooks said he could do a custom job for pretty short money.

One thing to watch for is that there is a flap either behind or in front of the main zipper--lots of cold air can blast thru a zipper. I love my cheap Paki leather DUCATI jacket, which has earned its scars, but there isn't one of the flaps I mentioned so it is pretty drafty when the temp is below 70--have sometimes stuck a piece of card board or a fat newspaper in it to keep warm.

For rain I have a Tourmaster rain jacket. That thing is absolutely wonderful. Absolutely.

Putting on a black leather jacket is like putting on an attitude........so mine is red!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I'm on a very meager budget. I've accumulated three Fieldsheer sets for on-road riding. One ballistic nylon with pants that zip to the jacket for over 70degrees. One shorty cordura with zip in pants for 50-70degrees. And one full-length cordura jacket with zip in pants for 30-50degrees. All three come with removable liners, jackets and pants. The cordura are water resistant. Each pant cost about $85-100. Each jacket about $120-175.

I've owned the oldest set for about 10 years. I went down at 30mph and the shorty coudura stopped everything except bruised ribs. It has a few tears that can be repaired. I've had no problems with any seams or zippers.

On the track I wear Vanson.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Was looking myself just recently. First I had to decide on a style. Sport vs touring etc... The sport style look, well sporty but little or no pocket space. I opted for the more touring style since it has lots of pockets and a zip out liner that goes all the way down the sleeves. Slightly longer jacket as well which I like. Made by tourmaster. I compared it to several other brands in the same store and quality wise it seemed to be best. Not to busy around the neck either. Some of'm have so much stuff round the neck it's like putting on a straight jacket. When your trying it on remember to sit and lean in the position you'll be riding in. Some can feel great walking about but in the ride position not so much. Protection for me is key. Shoulders, elbows and back. If it doesn't have it put it back on the rack and keep looking. IMO. Cheers

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks - I am hoping to find reasonable - but I like the sound of that new protective material I think it is d30 armor that is flexible but firms up on impact - I think that might have been first gear? or that may be a universal material - I had not realized or thought much about the length I did see a few longer with belts? I do like the vented option and the ability to add and remove armor. the budget thing is always a problem - but then again so is a hospital stay

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Leather AGV Teknic with armor have both been fully tested by myself and held up to multiple crashes. I have a First Gear touring suit that is nice comfort wise for a wide range of conditions but would prefer leather if I crash. I also have a Teknic mesh jacket fit is good but not stiff enough for any real impact even with its armor inserted, I just use this for short work commute on hot days. Anything loose is not as good as snugly fit gear if it can shift it will burn and armor moves from where its needed.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Leather AGV Teknic with armor have both been fully tested by myself and held up to multiple crashes. I have a First Gear touring suit that is nice comfort wise for a wide range of conditions but would prefer leather if I crash. I also have a Teknic mesh jacket fit is good but not stiff enough for any real impact even with its armor inserted, I just use this for short work commute on hot days. Anything loose is not as good as snugly fit gear if it can shift it will burn and armor moves from where its needed.
Just a suggestion... If you've had "multiple" crashes, maybe safer to stick to 4 wheels.:)

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Gravity always wins. I only drive a car when I cant be on a bike, been that way since I started riding when I was 13 shit happens over time. I never ride without gear and the only real injury I ever suffered was a broken wrist due to a highside on a race prepped 88 GSXR 750 "Cast Iron Brembo disks were cold" tried dodging a stray dog at night and could not slow.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no crashes yet - I am just getting started - I thought I better figure out this gear stuf before my first full summer

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The problem I have with textile jackets is that the armor doesn't always stay where it is supposed to in a crash. Leather tends not to move around during a slide, and the armor tends to stay put, where it belongs. But a good textile is still better than a non-motorcycle type leather jacket for protection.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
do those that use the leather find that there are good products to help coat or protect the leather for wet weather ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
also - has anyone tried anything from any of these companies fieldsheer, tourmaster leather, river road(leahter) speed and strength - I ran across these on a search and in some local shops -

thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts