Cafe Racer Forum banner

Looks Familiar

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Hoofhearted 
#1 · (Edited)
Hoofhearted's Sled?

Going through some older photos I took at Bonneville Salt Flats. This from 2011, looks like a members sled Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Wheel

See less See more
#4 ·
It got named "Screwball" by a friend when I had the material for the frame cut but not welded. I had it laid out on the garage floor witht he engine behind me and a couple of wheels. I'm laying on the floor like an idiot trying to describe what I was planning. He looked and said it was one screwball idea. No suspension at that time. The sidecar now has a swing arm Depends on the surface as to how rough the ride is. Most of the time its pretty smooth. They drag the salt and get rid of the rough spots (mostly). I had thought of Mooneyes and I wrote to Moon about using the eyes and was asked not to. This short video was a year later. One of the better runs of the week at 129.779. Not too bad for a 540cc pushrod single on gas.

#5 ·
I'd like to see more pics without the fairings on. Some close ups too of the motor, drive, steering, controls, etc.

Years ago I was going to build a street legal kneeler for terrorizing in the canyons. Still think about it occasionally.

Wasn't it a bit trial and error to set up the alignment right on your sled? I've installed a few side hacks and also have done suspension mods and driveway alignments on "fast" (195mph) cars.

I've got photos from several years out there, I'll post more if I find them.

#6 ·
I'll try and oblige.. Front end is cut down Kawasaki forks. I cut 4" out of the triple trees and cut down the legs. No sliders. The front wheel is a 10" from an old Austin Mini.

The engine is an early '80s Weslake. Bored out to 540 cc to qualify for the 650 class. Lightened and polished rocker arms otherwise pretty much stock. AMC trans from a Matchless motocross. Norton clutch.

One of the few shots I have without all of the bodywork on. It was a few years ago. I had a flex problem and welded in the struts to brace it. When I added the struts I had to change the bars as the tech guys thought I'd get my legs trapped if I went upside down.

#7 ·
Just to finish this off and get up to date. This was the original set up. The tank is front is an old Manx oil tank I used as a fuel tank.

It evolved into a blown motor. Went like stink and fried pistons.

Curiosity has gotten the better of me so this year its getting an older Godden speedway engine. OHC 4 valver. Apart from curiosity the price was too good to pass up. Hope it works as well as it does in my head.

e

#11 ·
I raced the 5 mile course in '85 on a street legal Honda 1000 Interceptor. The salt was wet and I fishtailed up to about 85 mph when the rear tire finally hooked up. I tucked in real tight to get as small as I could and banged each gear at redline. As I eclipsed the 5 mile marker near redline in 5th gear I looked at the speedo and it said 170! I was pretty fucking glad this run was over as the salt was slippery as hell (wet) and the wind buffeting and tires moving around a bit was crazy scary. I had another 2 runs to do too. My best time was an official 148.546 MPH. My speedo was about 14% off. Most people go a lot slower than what they think they can. Many 1000cc Harley Sportsters can't even get to 90 MPH, some not even 80!

#12 ·
^^^^ That's probably the truest post on here in a long time. Joe has been crewing for me for years. Last year he brought his Ducati to the salt. Before that he brought it to the May El Mirage meet. Alp Sungertekin rode it. After a run Alp said the speedo read 182 but the timing slip said 168. I think a combination of speedo optimism and wheel slippage caused the difference. Ivan rode it at Bonneville. He did his rookie run at 133. And on the short course he ran 148 which he said was the scariest ride of his life. Just as you described, wet salt and he added in ruts from the cars had him all over the place. So much so he declined to run it again. A lot of riders said the salt was crap and scary. I got sick as a dog on the Sat. and didn't run. A case of I'll be fine on Monday. Nope. Tuesday. Nope, Wednesday Nope. Thursday. Screw this I'm heading home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.