Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyway to lower the seat height on a 74' cb550? I looked around and geeto had a link to some lowering shocks. I may do that and possibly drop the forks through the triple trees. Now don't kill me on that, I haven't really looked at it to be sure that is even possible to be done.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Honda fork tubes are very easy to shorten, you can almost do them without a lathe, not quite but almost

I shortened these down from 12 over to 5.5 over

didn't take 30 minutes

you can buy the over length tubes really cheap

I've sold about 600 pairs in the last 5 years

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
lowering blocks are one way. I think they are hella unsafe but it is your bike and your life.

any 11" shock setup for the right weight and with a clevis style end should work. Progressive, works, and yss all have 11" clevis shocks for heavy bikes. Stock shock length on a 550 should be either 12.5 or 13" so it makes a big difference.

to lower the front suspension more than 2" you are going to probably need a different set of handlebars. I recommend clipons and you mount them to the portion of the fork that sticks out the top of the tree. This is how a lot of modern sportbikes mount their clipons so it is safe (if you really want you can add a roll pin to keep them from shifting). To lower the front end, put jackstands under the foot pegs or the bike on the mainstand, then put a jack the front of the bike (prefferably under the front of the motor but not on the oil filter canister) and take some of the weigh off the front end. Loosen the upper and lower triple clamp bolts so the forks are loose in the clamps. Then let the jack down slowly, the weight of the bike will push the forks through the trees. Go slow and measure the amount sticking up through the top clamp, You will need them to be even. you can always jack it back up and start over. After you got it where you want it make sure the wheel is vertical and tighten it all back up.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
loctite green bearing retainer will really hold tube in trees

everything has to be clean and you have to be careful with the propane torch when disassembling

especially if you have alloy trees

it will let go of hard or show chrome easy enough though

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, thanks alot for all the info. I do indeed plan on making a thin cafe seat for it, rear shocks are being looked into. Buddy O' mine swears he knows a bike shop that can make 10" eye to eye. I'm light and 5'3, never weighed over 130llbs so I might try these. Happy to hear I can definetly lower the front through the trees. Don't flame me on harley stuff, but me and friends do this to sportsters we screw with. One thing though, we measure how much we move and then go have some new tubes made to keep everything nice and safe.

Also. I don't like points ignition, are there any electric systems out there for a 550four? I know there are for 750s...

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
as far as I know the dyan S for the 750s also fits the 550s and 500s as well. Those bikes all share the same points plate and points.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts