Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question on a 1982 FT 500. One of the fork tubes is leaking oil. I was thinking, since the front end will be getting worked on is there any front end upgrades I should be considering? I checked out the THUMPER page and read that VF500F and CBR600 front ends are direct bolt-ins. Is this correct? If so will it change my riding position? Am kind of happy with the way it rides now just wondering if there is anything I should be doing while I have the front end off. Tapered steering head bearings, how do they improve the bikes performance? I know a few members have FTs so any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
If you are happy with the front end the way it is, I would just replace the fork seal and leave it the way it is. I have used VF500 front forks on one and have used VF750 Interceptor forks on another. The 500 forks fit in the FT triples and the VF required using the entire front end. I am using the stock front forks on mine right now with a CBR600 Hurricane front wheel with a Shadow disk on it. I also have a CBR rear wheel and CB700SC Nighthawk rear shocks. That changed the steering geometry enough that I put a GSXR steering damper on it. Do you need a set of stock wheels, I'll send them to you for the cost of shipping?

Ken

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wheels are in good shape, plus no room for an extra set. Thanks though;)! There is some slight pitting on the travel potion of the fork tubes. I wasn’t sure if this is the cause of the leak or not???. Because of this pitting I was thinking of just replacing the fork tubes all together. It would be nice to improve handling if it was just a matter of purchasing a better performing tube, and while the wallets open any recommendations on a better performing set of rear shocks.

P.S Tapered steering head bearings, do they improve the bikes performance?

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
While you have the forks apart... 800grit sandpaper and oil... use lightly to smooth out the pits on the forks. The new seals will last longer.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I like the rear shocks from the CB700SC Nighthawk S. They are a littlle longer than stock, they bolt right on. They have adjustable damping that is considerably heavier since the Nighthawk was heavier and shaft drive, so they had to control the rear end trying to jack up and down. I nevert have paid more than $50 off e-bay for a clean pair.

Ken

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the FT to a local shop to have the fork seals replaced and also had the pitting cleaned. The guy is telling me the springs are shot. For 90 bucks he can replace them with after market progressive springs that he clams will stiffen the front end and produce better handling.... Is this true?? Also Is it worth to upgrade the existing stock setup, or upgrade the the tubes all together???

Note* Upgrading the stock tubes would be more convenient and cost effective for me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took the FT to a local shop to have the fork seals replaced and also had the pitting cleaned. The guy is telling me the springs are shot. For 90 bucks he can replace them with after market progressive springs that he clams will stiffen the front end and produce better handling.... Is this true?? Also Is it worth to upgrade the existing stock setup, or upgrade the the tubes all together???

Note* Upgrading the stock tubes would be more convenient and cost effective for me.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
Ok, ok ... I have nothing to say ... I just looked at the thread subject and it said " 82' FT 500 fork tubes" and I thought it meant fork tubes that were 82 feet long ..and that sounded interesting...much more interesting than this thread actually is.

JohnnyB

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
Ok, ok ... I have nothing to say ... I just looked at the thread subject and it said " 82' FT 500 fork tubes" and I thought it meant fork tubes that were 82 feet long ..and that sounded interesting...much more interesting than this thread actually is.

JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Johnny I could not agree with more on the boring factor[|)]..... Nonetheless it has to get done! It is an honor that you even posted here. So, your here now. Stay a while. I always enjoy the presence of a Big-titted Slut[:p]. Getting back to my question, what do you think?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Johnny I could not agree with more on the boring factor[|)]..... Nonetheless it has to get done! It is an honor that you even posted here. So, your here now. Stay a while. I always enjoy the presence of a Big-titted Slut[:p]. Getting back to my question, what do you think?

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Don't ask Branson what he thinks!!! He will just start ranting about aliens or zombies or his damn dogs (although they are pretty cute in the pics on his website).

How does the mechanic(parts changer?) know that they are shot? Did he measure them and compare them to the specs? I'll bet he has not had enough Ascots apart to know just by looking. Just get the forks back and try adding a little air pressure to the forks, like 5psi or so. If that helps, then let out the air and try a PVC preload spacer and see how that is. I refuse to throw parts at a 25 year old suspension in the hopes that it will be better.

Ken

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Don't ask Branson what he thinks!!! He will just start ranting about aliens or zombies or his damn dogs (although they are pretty cute in the pics on his website).

How does the mechanic(parts changer?) know that they are shot? Did he measure them and compare them to the specs? I'll bet he has not had enough Ascots apart to know just by looking. Just get the forks back and try adding a little air pressure to the forks, like 5psi or so. If that helps, then let out the air and try a PVC preload spacer and see how that is. I refuse to throw parts at a 25 year old suspension in the hopes that it will be better.

Ken

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by kenessex
-5psi or so-

Shit he told me he had 10 pounds on each tube(With stockers) . I dont have a manual. Is 10 pounds acceptable?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by kenessex
-5psi or so-

Shit he told me he had 10 pounds on each tube(With stockers) . I dont have a manual. Is 10 pounds acceptable?

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I think spec was 0-15 PSI or something like that. I prefer 0, since I think it is easier on the fork seals, and just getting the oil level, oil weight and spring right.

Ken

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I think spec was 0-15 PSI or something like that. I prefer 0, since I think it is easier on the fork seals, and just getting the oil level, oil weight and spring right.

Ken

1 - 20 of 37 Posts