Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I think if I were you before I spent one red Penny on any part other than to make it run.... I would try to get it running. Running, idling, turning and braking. That's step one in my opinion....period.

If you're going to take out the digital dash you're going to need to get a GPS Speedo. The speedometer is not cable driven. It's got 8 pickups at the wheel that sends the information to the computer. Your turn signals are wired into the computer. The brake lights are wired into the computer. Side stand switch, neutral light ,... Everything wired into the computer. The guy I bought my Goldwing from years ago... What he did was turn old gold wings into Cafe bikes but found certain ones more difficult to do than others. My 86 SEI was one of them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I think if I were you before I spent one red Penny on any part other than to make it run.... I would try to get it running. Running, idling, turning and braking. That's step one in my opinion....period.
So the bike starts with the button, sweetly. Brakes and such already replaced (where needed) and rebuilt where needed... Carbs have been dealt with, oils changed - new filter, coolant and cololing system working well - fresh dexcool, new bat and charges well. Most of this was done before I stripped it down...

I have found no evidence of an ECU. I am hoping and have read that the dash digi display works it's magic to transcribe analog signals from different sensors and electric pickups into display-able values... I'm really starting to think I'm not going to run into anything that is impossible. A good thing.

Really, what's missing in my tiny mind is a plan of attack for starting to eliminate MUCH of the unnecessary copper and whether or not (I think not) to use the plugs and such that are OE... In my limited understanding (and it is limited at this point) what the OE large looms and plugs support will no longer be being used after as much of the copper that can be removed is,,, and in that, lots of what's running thru these plugs will be obsolete,,, making keeping the plugs kinda a weird choice...

We shall see... Still dealing with and sorting out things with the drowned XKR Portfolio Jaguar today. But I'll be getting to the bike soon...

Still liking the M-Unit - not hearing anything that rules it out so far

·
Registered
753 Posts
See this is where you need a Goldwing forum with people familiar with your exact year and model bike.

i have no clue how Honda did its digital dashes, but I do know that on other digital dash vehicles from the 1980's the signal sensors are the same analog electrical sensors that powered old fashioned dial gauges and the dash had the circuit board. I caveat Honda here because at the same time your bike was rolling off the assembly line in marysville Ohio, Honda was also producing a fuel injected turbo motorcycle that was computer comtrolled. So it's entirely possible your bike has a computer outside the cluster - in which case yeah you really can't remove anything related to the computer. I just don't think any of us know.

The m-unit cannot replace the functions of an ecu, program module, or anything that collects signals in a computer like fashion, it can only provide power to that thing when the ignition is on.
yeah, i don't have a clue. i'm sure some goldwing guys have tried it before and laid it all out. the problem might be listening to them.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts