Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the two screws that mount the lighting coil apparatus (around which the flywheel spins) to the engine case on my 1964 YG-1 are funky.

They're not M5x0.8, 10-24, or 10-32. Leaves me thinking they must be M5x1.0, which I can't find, even on special order from Fastenal. Anyone have a couple at least 25mm long? Otherwise I guess I'll drill and re-tap them slightly larger.

Thanks. Also posted in Technical under 'YG-1 not starting', but I'm not seeing a lot of folks over there, lately.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Funny you mention that. Just today I was looking for a M5x1.0 acorn nut as M5x0.8 wouldn't thread onto the stud but alas it seems to be a wildcard.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Never heard of 5x1 but I have used 5x0.75 and 5x0.50mm
Try Victor Machinery exchange in NY, they have odd stuff I haven't been able to find anywhere else in US

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I am pretty sure I have some.....

That's quite coarse

First step.... see if msc or mcmaster has the taps/dies

Fa$tenal sucks with their outrageous prices and very limited selection

·
Registered
4,721 Posts

That's quite coarse

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

That's quite coarse

It's impossible to know for sure what I need since all I have are negative comparisons. No positive. I THINK it's a M5x1.0, and I have read somewhere that Japanese manufacturers used this size briefly early on.

The closest one by comparison (of the three listed above) is the 10-24, but that's slightly too coarse.

Assuming that retapping is the way forward, and that what I have are M5x1.0 holes, what would the next safest size up be? Aluminum cases. I'd like to stick with metric, so as not to cause unnecessary confusion for the next owner.

As a note, I plan to upgrade from philips flat head to flat head socket head cap screws. The whole reason I got screwed is that the head was mangled beyond usability.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

That's quite coarse

It's impossible to know for sure what I need since all I have are negative comparisons. No positive. I THINK it's a M5x1.0, and I have read somewhere that Japanese manufacturers used this size briefly early on.

The closest one by comparison (of the three listed above) is the 10-24, but that's slightly too coarse.

Assuming that retapping is the way forward, and that what I have are M5x1.0 holes, what would the next safest size up be? Aluminum cases. I'd like to stick with metric, so as not to cause unnecessary confusion for the next owner.

As a note, I plan to upgrade from philips flat head to flat head socket head cap screws. The whole reason I got screwed is that the head was mangled beyond usability.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Are you sure this thread is metric? It's not one of the earlier JIS thread is it? Do they have small dimples in the head of the screw?

Craig

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Are you sure this thread is metric? It's not one of the earlier JIS thread is it? Do they have small dimples in the head of the screw?

Craig

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Some of my early 60's Hondas have the JIS threads on SOME screws, like the points cover. I just ran a standard metric thread tap in the hole, don't recall the size, but will check tonight, and used the proper metric allen head screw. Didn't even have to drill it out, of course it was soft aluminum.

Good luck finding JIS threaded nuts, bolts or screws.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Some of my early 60's Hondas have the JIS threads on SOME screws, like the points cover. I just ran a standard metric thread tap in the hole, don't recall the size, but will check tonight, and used the proper metric allen head screw. Didn't even have to drill it out, of course it was soft aluminum.

Good luck finding JIS threaded nuts, bolts or screws.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
check lowes...they have some metric screws and bolts and machine screws in their hardware bins...ive been there afew times myself, and usualy get a laugh when they find out that im either buying stuff to go on my motorcycle or my 1973 Toyota Carina...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
check lowes...they have some metric screws and bolts and machine screws in their hardware bins...ive been there afew times myself, and usualy get a laugh when they find out that im either buying stuff to go on my motorcycle or my 1973 Toyota Carina...

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
maryland metric

seriously. they have pretty much amything you need/ british, japanese, i mean just about anything. its one of the few resources thats actually good in this shit box of a town.

they have a website. google em.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
maryland metric

seriously. they have pretty much amything you need/ british, japanese, i mean just about anything. its one of the few resources thats actually good in this shit box of a town.

they have a website. google em.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
So you have the screw.... some metric calipers but no thread pitch gauge?

I suppose I could take a phone call with my machinist handbook within arms reach.

Ya really need a pitch gauge OR

1.0 pitch from any smallish metric bolt (use a known metric bolt as a gauge) will do the trick.

I do like to know how a blind hole is actually threaded before I retap it..... especially if the threads hold something useful.

If they don't .... fill em with playdough.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
So you have the screw.... some metric calipers but no thread pitch gauge?

I suppose I could take a phone call with my machinist handbook within arms reach.

Ya really need a pitch gauge OR

1.0 pitch from any smallish metric bolt (use a known metric bolt as a gauge) will do the trick.

I do like to know how a blind hole is actually threaded before I retap it..... especially if the threads hold something useful.

If they don't .... fill em with playdough.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Joe, thanks man. Next time I will look em up. I took Jack's suggestion and re-tapped with my standard M5x0.8 and it worked just fine.

HackA, sorry to put you through the trouble. Thanks for the help.

Maybe it was a JIS thread pitch. Who knows? It's 0.8 now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts