Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question : Do the Mac Exhausts made for the SOHC CB750s have removable baffles ?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Pulling them out is a nightmare. I had to pull off my muffler and pound it out from the inlet. I tried running it without the baffle and it sounds like total ass in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I was at a local gin joint a few months ago when a gal pulled up with a honda 750f with a 4into1 header pipe without a baffle. The guy standing next to me said "Gee - that thing must be fast!". I answered "No - it's just loud..."

I'll keep my baffles - thank you....

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the only advantage to the mac baffle being removable is to be able to repack it when the inside packing wears out. If you ask me the damn thing is loud enough to piss off neighbors without the baffle removed. If you really want to be obnoxious, mac makes drag pipes for the cb750, they sound better than a mac with the baffle removed.

btw, it is helpful to have a slide hammer when removing the baffle, pops mine out every time.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the only advantage to the mac baffle being removable is to be able to repack it when the inside packing wears out. If you ask me the damn thing is loud enough to piss off neighbors without the baffle removed. If you really want to be obnoxious, mac makes drag pipes for the cb750, they sound better than a mac with the baffle removed.

btw, it is helpful to have a slide hammer when removing the baffle, pops mine out every time.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I noticed after you pull them out the first time, it's easier to get them out after that. Though I did notice though when I tried packing mine it became nearly silent and I could hear the carbs sucking in air just at idle(I've got stacks). Not to mention it actually made it slower and was choking it so much that exhaust was blowing out every opening to where it was suppose to. Then when I opened it back up, the glass packing started to get sucked into the opening for the baffle. The baffle isn't straight through and is more setup to make it a chamber style muffler. I even tried to lightly pack it and still choked it and didn't sound good at all. So now I just pulled it out and left it hollow and it's alot more peepy...raspy yes but I'll live with the raspiness then when it was packed and acting like it was trying to push a watermelon through a straw. I'm thinking of making a new straight through baffle and then using some steel wool for packing.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I noticed after you pull them out the first time, it's easier to get them out after that. Though I did notice though when I tried packing mine it became nearly silent and I could hear the carbs sucking in air just at idle(I've got stacks). Not to mention it actually made it slower and was choking it so much that exhaust was blowing out every opening to where it was suppose to. Then when I opened it back up, the glass packing started to get sucked into the opening for the baffle. The baffle isn't straight through and is more setup to make it a chamber style muffler. I even tried to lightly pack it and still choked it and didn't sound good at all. So now I just pulled it out and left it hollow and it's alot more peepy...raspy yes but I'll live with the raspiness then when it was packed and acting like it was trying to push a watermelon through a straw. I'm thinking of making a new straight through baffle and then using some steel wool for packing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts