Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DGY asked me to post this. Evil.

Here's a 56' Goldie I built from swap meets, friends, ebay, you name it. I got the frame from a B33 (Goldstars are B34's) that my buddy and I bought for the engine, as we had a rigid frame and wanted to make a pre-50 race bike. The engine came from Gil Greenlaw, for which I swapped him a trials bike. The transmission was from Hugh Weaver, but had a wide ratio gear set in it so I had to find a standard set. The tank is off an A65 BSA and the seat is a repop of a seat they made back in the day for Goldie's. The front wheel is the much sought after 190mm and equipped with Vintage Brake shoes. The engine has the big head which sports a 38mm Mikuni, the cams are full race, the ignition is an electronic unit hiding in the mag' body. The exhaust is a 1 7/8 special made pipe (normal is 1 3/4) dumping into an open mega with a can on the back. S/S spokes laced to alloy shouldered rims with Avon race tires on them. This bike was fast, and what a sound it made. The over-run was wicked. I took it out one day, my buddy was on my KTM 650 Super Moto, and the BSA was just as fast.

Just thought that maybe you guys would enjoy the bike, it's the last Brit cafe bike I built and was my favorite out of all of them.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hey, thanks! Glad you guys like it. The engine really is the enjoyment of that particular motorcyle. The engine had a sweet spot from 4K to 6200 RPM in which it really comes on at. But the rest of the motorcycle really feels like an antique. BSA frames are kind of heavy and high, and BSA forks are soft and only lightly damped. The result is a machine that you only ride on occassion, like maybe twice a year. I sold it because I don't have the room or money to keep bikes that I don't use enough.

While big singles are cool and effective at the track, the highly tuned ones are seldom desirable for the street (the only one I had that was good was my GB500 Honda, wonderful really). I think the BSA Goldstar Rocket (650 Twin pre-unit)was a much better street mount. My Goldie was a good starter as I had hot spark and went through months of back and forth with Mikuni to get the carb spot on, and they must be spot on to start properly as big singles will only start with the throttle just cracked. If you open the throttle as you kick, you allow too much air in the cylinder, the piston comes up and the advanced spark fires the mixture before TDC and pushes the piston right back down with the result of, at the least, a sore arch. You also break the vacuum that's sucking the fuel out of the bowl when you roll the throttle as you kick, better to just crack the stick and lock your thumb over the throttle housing, this true with twins also.

I think that true "modern" bikes came into being with the unit Triumph twins. Good performance, no-fuss engines, unit construction, VERY good frames, decent suspension, they had it all. And when you ride one you feel you're on a modern motorcyle which I define as all the above, but also it must be a user friendly machine, something easy to start, handle, and ride, all the while providing good performance.

Dgy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts