Cafe Racer Forum banner
2241 - 2260 of 2286 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The Orange County Chopper, Big Dawg, West Coast Chopper era? There was STUPID money for worthless bikes flying all over the place.....
True, although we didn't really feel it as much in Canada. There aren't many of those custom shops that could get bikes imported for road use to Canada. Whereas dorks here can take the grinder to existing bikes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It is truly a bizarre phenomenon, people are paying ridiculous sums for awful motorcycles. I can never remember a time like it with anything of value.
OCC choppers went for silly money back in the day.

Fads come and go and people willing to buy into it will spend the money.

Unusable bikes selling for high prices aren't a new thing and will continue. Its funny but true

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Let's get back to one of the things that made the forum great.

'99 Triumph Legend cafe mod - $1,500 (Asheville)
image 4 of 4

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
triumph legend
engine displacement (CC): 900
fuel: gas
odometer: 20000
odometer rolled over
transmission: manual
900cc 3 cyclender. Modified into a cafe racer style bike. Does not run, great project bike. Call or send message for more info.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Those welds

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Good thing he’s got the K&N lifetime guarantee to go with his Cheapo Pod filters........ That’s good thinking, right there!

3 “cyclender”.....

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
First thing I notice is no license plate followed by a whole bunch of reasons why there is no license plate on it now.
... and a Mississauga address lol I bet his insurance turned out to be 3 or 4 grand minimum and he can't even get the bike certified. Unless a "project" bike is something that never gets finished and you keep it in your family room.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
What shop owner, in their right mind, would put the safety through on it. There certifying that they accept the liability for his fabrication.

My mechanic is so paranoid he stopped doing certifications. He'll only safety mine if I'm keeping it to ride.

·
Registered
174 Posts
First thing I notice is no license plate followed by a whole bunch of reasons why there is no license plate on it now.
... and a Mississauga address lol I bet his insurance turned out to be 3 or 4 grand minimum and he can't even get the bike certified. Unless a "project" bike is something that never gets finished and you keep it in your family room.
I know its scrap but thousands to insure?

Whats the average cost to insure say a street triple in Toronto?

Always interests me how costs in countries differ

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I know its scrap but thousands to insure?

Whats the average cost to insure say a street triple in Toronto?

Always interests me how costs in countries differ
It is more expensive in Toronto than where Trials and I live. A general rule of thumb for a clean driving record, 10+ years bike licence is about $1/cc (half pound). You would need a lot of years riding before they would insure a triple.

The older monsters up to an 800 cost about $600 for the year out here in da bush.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ouch even transferring that to the pound its painful.

2019 Street trie living in London and i pay 450 British nuggets a year.

Bearing in mind that Street triples in London grow legs and walk if you so much as turn your back on them.

Most i pay for my bikes i keep at my old mans is 190 a year (zrx1200r and sv650)

I will never complain about my insurance premiums again.

·
Administrator
466 Posts
You have to really shop around here in Ontario. Many companies won't even insure sport bikes and there is a premium on them if they do. If I recall, my 89 1100 is around $85 per month. I had quotes as high as $305 a month. I am old and in Niagara Falls, it would be much much more if you were a young guy in the city.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
You have to really shop around here in Ontario. Many companies won't even insure sport bikes and there is a premium on them if they do. If I recall, my 89 1100 is around $85 per month. I had quotes as high as $305 a month. I am old and in Niagara Falls, it would be much much more if you were a young guy in the city.
92 cents per cc is still a pile of dough for 4 months of decent riding on a vintage bike.

·
Administrator
466 Posts
Yeah. And they make you pay all year. No taking it off the road for the winter or they just divide the annual premium by the months you ride. In reality it is $340 per month of actual riding.

Once they get their head around what insurance is here we will tell them what we pay for fuel.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Oh i think you would have to work hard to beat how expensive the fuel is in the uk.

The people behind the cashier desk may as well where a balaclava as it feels like being robbed!

£1.51 per litre at the moment!!

2241 - 2260 of 2286 Posts