Cafe Racer Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 2216 Posts

·
Registered
23,287 Posts

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
A buddy of mine was all about old Saabs for a while there. He had 250 K on his last I heard. It was a '90 I think.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
when I was in college 1980's 3 door saab 900s in upstate NY were like the defacto college beater car. I have like 4 or 5 friends that had them and drove all of them on a regular basis (including a turbo) but never owned one. All of them had like 200k miles on the clock and bodies so rotted you could push through with your finger. I saw one the other day and it suddenly made me nostalgic for one. It doesn't even have to be a turbo, just a 3 door 900 in a color other than that tomato soup red they all seemed to come in (if it is something really weird like Azure blue or one of their weird solid greens). There was an Azure blue one for $850 on Saabnet last month but it was 600 miles away and at 204,000 I was hesitant that it would make the drive (it was also rusty).

It seems all the weird quirky cars of my youth are disappearing quickly. I sad now.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I hate this hobby so much right now.

Anybody have a love of old Saabs? Been thinking about buying a pre 1994 900 beater.
Cheer up a bit Geeto.... Deep breaths and count to ten.
If your interested I'll be seeing a friend tomorrow who happens to own an old Saab (no idea the year). Also a cleaner at work has a very nice looking convertible. I'll try and get some pics.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Got to go and get a 2 stroke 60's SAAB.
I like myself too much. Also the only one I would consider is a Sonnet and...well...I don't fit in a sonnet. I would consider a 99 though because as much as I like myself I don't like myself that much.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Geeto,

Did you ever see that small two Stroke collection in Beacon NY, or near there? I have a friend crazy about Saabs, and we took a trip to visit Motorcyclepedia in Newburgh and stopped into this guys house. In his barn, more like a museum, he had at least a dozen of those two strokes, right back to the first ones imported. Some very cool rally racers, even a couple station wagons. I will have to search the computer to see if I have any pics.

Made me actually want a Saab, for about an hour..... I was a Morris Minor guy for several years, and I could see the similarity in both makes from the same era.

We took a tour of down town Newburgh, and my friend got annoyed because all the crack whores were still asleep.......it was a Sunday morning.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I like myself too much. Also the only one I would consider is a Sonnet and...well...I don't fit in a sonnet. I would consider a 99 though because as much as I like myself I don't like myself that much.
A 99 Turbo with Inca wheels is on my bucket list. Unfortunately, I think the ones worth having have all been snapped up.

·
Registered
830 Posts
This approach I have not seen before in the ad narrative. I will post the link and copy-n-paste the verbiage so it doesn't get lost in the ether:

1973 Honda CL750 Streetracker/Cafe

AD TEXT: 1973 CB 750, Streetracker/Cafe: engine has; new pistons/rings, crank/rod bearings, Cam & Primary chains, cam & primary tensioner & guides, valve job, carbs rebuilt, new carb isolators, custom fabricated; cl type exhaust, oil tank, side covers, skid pan & headlight guard. 19" DID aluminum rims laced to a CL450 front drum and stock rear hub, XL350 forks w/750 springs and adj preload, Trail Tech dash, LED lighting, Dominator twin headlight assy, Streetracker style fender & seat assy. needs to be ridden, asking $5400.00 below are some of the reviews I've been given on this build.
Steve C. (socal) custom builder/parts sales "great ride"
Frank (New England) parts sales. "Holy crap, dude that is great"
Peter (Berlin, Germany)builder "Great Tracker"
Finly (Austin, TX) "that pretty Rad"
Pete (Road Island) Cafe Cycles "nice.. I've always wanted to do a hi pipe 750"
Steve ( Sidney, Aus) Bikes sales "Cool"
Doug (UK) "good Job"

Now, I'm not passing judgment on the bike itself, the components, paint, build quality, asking price etc., what amuses me is the reviews that were obviously garnered on-line, I would assume from DTT or some other handjob-rich forum. Imagine if people selling bikes used comments of their piles gleaned from this esteemed collection here at CR.net? Let the mind wander through the trail of ruin you've seen pass through the e-pages of this forum and the comments left in their wake. Use said comments to form an ad containing a cluster of our reviews - hilarity ensues!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I think it is a little weak with the suspension area and the front drum brake is a little odd but what the heck I think it looks like a pretty nice job.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I love the audacity and frivolity of that bike. Color sucks and the front brake is plain stupidity IMHO. Besides, who makes a street tracker out of a 750 seventies bike fer heaven's sake. Oh that would be me too.

I went with a brake upgrade though because a pissy little drum is not going to scrub off that amount of energy at any respectable rate.

1061 - 1080 of 2216 Posts