Cafe Racer Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 2223 Posts

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Tanshanomi: "I can only think of one case..."

Yeah, but if you could ride that thing around Central Park in Manhatten at 4am, the last thing the authorities would be looking for is a motorcycle. They'd be looking for a two stroke terror drone or something. At least all those mega-bucks panic rooms would get used for a few hours.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
That video should be tagged, the worst rider to ever be allowed the opportunity to ride an RC166.
Um, that's HRC works rider Hikaru Miyagi. He only had so-so racing successes in the mid '80s (6th place in domestic Japan superbike, four GP starts), but he went on to a career as Honda's top development test rider for over two decades. Evidently he has a phenomenal engineering mind and an uncanny ability to assess bikes' behavior as he rides. He can then then give remarkably erudite feedback to the R&D folks. If I was going to pick a rider to take my mystifyingly complex, 45-year old, priceless piece of history out on the track, I would probably pick him over somebody who can wring more out a bike at 10/10s. If he's the worst rider to ever ride it, its a reflection on how great the others were, not on how bad he is.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
He certainly wasn't trying to make it sound good, so I would love to know what he was testing.
um, & I don't want him on my bike thanks :|

& ?:I … can the RC166 idle, or is it a requirement to incessantly pump the throttle between 1 and 10,000rpm

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
can the RC166 idle, or is it a requirement to incessantly pump the throttle between 1 and 10,000rpm
It's a requirement. No idle circuit on factory racing machines running racing carbs. It's also a fast way to get it warmed up and to make sure your throttle isn't sticking (a surprisingly common problem on old race bikes in general - there is a video on youtube of me doing it on a 500cc BSA for Team Obsolete because Don Emde said it was hanging up and I was trying to diagnose).

Also that isn't 10,000 it's probably closer to 5K except at the end. Old race bikes are always straddling the line between boggy and peaky.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
That video should be tagged, the worst rider to ever be allowed the opportunity to ride an RC166.
This is one of those times I'm gonna tell you to shut your whore mouth. ;)

Here is Jim redman, yes that Jim redman, not doing much of a better job:

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
yeah those carbs have no idle circuits, Rev-ing it vs say a throttle lock to hold a set RPM is preferred to prevent hot spots, keep operating temp with in range, and keep everything circulating. Also you don't want your race bike stalling since no kicker and no electric leg.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I've held all 6 pistons from redman's machine in one hand and a g50 piston in the other and the g50 was still heavier. Yeah they have a very light flywheel and will sing to the moon.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I doubt you would even get that Honda Six mobile without stalling it ten times or even breaking the crank. Even with two guys pushing you. Even the best racers back in the sixties would break cranks on these things when the motor was too cold.

Plenty of Hondas sixties race bikes needed to be revved for anything up to half an hour to warm up the oil and get reliable results from the sixties metallurgy. Some of the smaller Hondas needed to be revved in the pits for a while at anything up to 18-20K revs. Some of those Hondas were so much at the limit of four stroke tuning that the motor would stall and cut out riding under the cool shade of trees at speed, like at 16K RPM and then fire up again back in the sun.

Honda would have built at least half a dozen race motors that would hardly run under 10K RPM, let alone idle.

Miyagi might not be the best winner out there. But that's not his job. His job was to get near the extreme limit, back off and survive to go tell the rocket scientists in the little Honda caps. He's a lot like a kamikaze pilot that jumps out of the plane, 25 seconds before impact, goes home, eats rice and punches the clock the next day and does it again.

He took a bike worth maybe 1 million dollars+ for a ride, without falling off or blowing it up. That takes skill.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Here ;) not much to look at, but these guys sound pretty smooth on the throttle.

oh & twitwort, your first sentence was stupid enough i didn't bother reading the rest

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
TrialsRider: " not much to look at, but these guys sound pretty smooth on the throttle. "

It's so obvious you don't know what you are talking about. Do some research.

Ask Geeto about old sixties Honda race bikes, like he's probably sat on a Honda Six race bike, pushed one around and heard it run on the track and in the pits.

The last time you were in pits next to race winning sixties Honda race bikes was when exactly? I think it was about 18 ago months for me.

I'm sure " it all makes perfect sense in your head ".

Danger, is my business.

PS: You are bored, you would read everything. :)

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
The last time you were in pits next to race winning sixties Honda race bikes was when exactly? lol that would be the last time I went to a vintage rally,
do you figure knowledge of them rubs off on you by standing next to them ?
last weekend I was busy taking first place intermediate class at a CMA observed trial :)
and today I was prepping my bike for some practice and for a 2 day provincial round in 2 weeks time.
:I actually ride the things, you should try it.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
The last time you were in pits next to race winning sixties Honda race bikes was when exactly? lol that would be the last time I went to a vintage rally,
do you figure knowledge of them rubs off on you by standing next to them ?
last weekend I was busy taking first place intermediate class at a CMA observed trial :)
and today I was prepping my bike for some practice and for a 2 day provincial round in 2 weeks time.
:I actually ride the things, you should try it.
In the turkey class, I'd say. Or two guys turned up.

When Toni Bou gives you a call, get back to me.

Asked Geeto about he old race bikes yet? He's a mine of information.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Flywheels are "pork chop" style and have minimal flywheel effect. The bike will stall below about 7k and has no bottom end at all. For a 1964 design it is amazing. Compared to a modern CBR250RR, it is still amazing but not as good. Valve angles are very wide by modern standards and that also makes for a steep piston crown and that in turn hurts flame propagation. Compression is low - fine for a very high revving motor of that time but that hurts bottom to mid power. Ignitions and carbs have come some way since then but it is a jewel and ear bleedingly noisy

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Teazer has way more info on this than I do. I fondled the internal guts a while back but I wasn't assembling it and I didn't measure anything. I wish I still had my pics but sadly they are currently on a corrupted hard drive. The last time I saw one run was back in the 90's long before I knew Rob. I honestly know more misinformation about this bike than I do actual information, but I have held the pistons in my hand.

I will say this about the bike, seeing one up close is like seeing the lunar capsule at the Smithsonian. You look at all of it's manual simplicity compounded upon manual simplicity to create something complicated and you think "we went to the moon in that?"

1101 - 1120 of 2223 Posts