Premium Member
1,645 Posts
I need "a 836 web cam" too!:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/2049735017.html

quote:
75 cb 750 cafe racer - $1 (smithton)

Date: 2010-11-08, 6:51PM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

1975 cb 750 big bored to a 836 web cam to much to list make offer asking $8000 over $7000 invested in parts 724-***-**** will and pics soon

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 2049735017

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
yeah that just looks like piss poor typing.

750 big bored to a 836 web cam to much to list... -> 750 big bored to a 836, web cam, too much to list...

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
well its tough to enjoy our smug bickering without a picture. Maybe it looks awesome and is hand made of titanium... and totally worth the money.

My favorite is guys who sell 1yr old bikes and ask close to out the door price as if paid fees and taxes was added value - though (in CA) you have to pay sales tax in used bikes too. I have seen many close to new bikes sold like this:

"Buy this awesome kawi/yami/honda for only $7500 - paid over 8k with taxes also invested in 600 mile maintenance $350!"

Basically
a) the sale price with fees and taxes ends up higher than a competitive dealers out the door price for a new bike
b) the idea that maintenance cost adds to the value of the bike is retarded. Same goes with the old bikes: "just spent $350 to have carbs cleaned" It is not an investment that makes your bike more valuable than the next bike that also runs but didn't get $350 treatment.

If maintenance would add to the value a BMW with 80,000 miles would go for $25k

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
well its tough to enjoy our smug bickering without a picture. Maybe it looks awesome and is hand made of titanium... and totally worth the money.

My favorite is guys who sell 1yr old bikes and ask close to out the door price as if paid fees and taxes was added value - though (in CA) you have to pay sales tax in used bikes too. I have seen many close to new bikes sold like this:

"Buy this awesome kawi/yami/honda for only $7500 - paid over 8k with taxes also invested in 600 mile maintenance $350!"

Basically
a) the sale price with fees and taxes ends up higher than a competitive dealers out the door price for a new bike
b) the idea that maintenance cost adds to the value of the bike is retarded. Same goes with the old bikes: "just spent $350 to have carbs cleaned" It is not an investment that makes your bike more valuable than the next bike that also runs but didn't get $350 treatment.

If maintenance would add to the value a BMW with 80,000 miles would go for $25k

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
quote:Originally posted by steve barker

Can someone tell me what this steampunk thing is about? I've heard of it, but I have no idea what it means.
It's basically full-time LARPers ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_action_role-playing_game ) that pretend they come from a parallel universe where electricity (to a lesser degree) and combustion engines (to a great degree) did not catch on, and steam power continued on as the primary power sources.

Aesthetically, it's a mix between Pirate couture, WWI military gear, steam train engineers, Victorian, and some 40's styles.

Some of the girls fashions really are quite fetching. http://www.robotvsbadger.com/images/steampunk-girls/

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by steve barker

Can someone tell me what this steampunk thing is about? I've heard of it, but I have no idea what it means.
steampunk is a genre of sci-fi that is basically what if the victorian steam age continued into the future instead of giving way to the gasoline age. Steampunk style is victorian brass era styling applied to things that are more advanced than the victorian era. A lot of it traces it roots directly back to Jules Verne, esp 20,000 leagues and the Time Machine.

look around this site and you will get a feel for it:
http://www.steampunkworkshop.com/

Some popular films that use the style are:

City of lost children
Wild Wild West
The League of Extrodinary Gentleman
Steamboy
That new Sherlock Holmes Movie with RD jr.
The Prestige
Metropolis
That God Awful Hugh Jackass Van Helsing movie

you get the idea.

Steampunk in machines usually mimics the mfg styles of the day, which is liberal use of brass or copper for decoration, rivets instead of welding, hammer marks in sheetmetal, lots of gears, or intricate mechanical devices to do what modern electronics do easily, etc. A combination of high industrial and crude.

Things don't have to be steam powered to be "steampunk" either, they just have to look like a victorian version of the thing that they are. To this end a vincent Rapide B is a very steampunk motorcycle without doing a thing just because of its overly complicated unconventional mechanical look and its small mechanical details.

however, that seat in the ebay ad just looks sloppy and ugly. Even if the pattern is not symetrical, the shape should at least be. And if it is not the shape should at least be visually interesting. That seat just looks like someone rolled a bad joint out of metal and rivets.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
the original tv show wild wild west was awesome!

man i miss that show....and being 12, and stealing countless frozen milky way mini bars out of my grandmothers freezer.

casey and i were out for mexican a few months ago and a gal sitting across from us had one of these on.....it was hard to pay attention to whatever casey said to me....or i to her. we tried to steal a cell pix before we left but it didn't come out so well (too dark...no flash). this hat is steampunk.

steampunk can be cool if it doesn't consume you as a way of life.

i always like homeboy from chicago who had the CB450 honda cafe (he's the guy that advertises for the tonup stuff on here)...i always liked his copper fittings on the end of his headers. it gave a neat contrast to the header wrap.

tex

·
Registered
968 Posts
Oh my....reminds me of something, cant think what right now....

·
Registered
5,780 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
i like that..."it has been a pleasure to own as a collectible"......read: "i couldnt get it running so i let it sit in my shed..."

101 - 120 of 2222 Posts