A little frenzied activity over the last week or so.
The summer has been a nightmare, everything being turned around far too slowly. Parts delivery has been appalling with 2 weeks waiting time tuning into 4 weeks then 8 weeks then 16weeks, some specialist services have been very problematic which pushed my blood pressure well into the danger zone i.e. Waving a 1 meter length of scaffolding pole and shouting threats of execution did speeded things up a bit though. But just like waiting hours for a bus to turn up then many turn up all at once, so it was with the parts I had been waiting months for, everything turned up at the same time but for 3 different bikes!
So over the last few weeks I've got stuck in and have pretty much finished the rolling chassis, just a few parts to fit but these are bolt on and therefore no great drama. That said there are few bits with a chrome plater who I am sure makes his tea using the liquid in his plating baths. He's totally barking mad.
Anyway the front end is now on and oiled up. Everything has been stripped and cleaned, measured and found be generally OK with just a little wear on the stanchions. I have made new upper fork shrouds in alloy, as used by John in period, I think the originals came from Norton and are similar to those used by works bikes 1951 - 53. Note the correct type mudguard bracket for Manx up to 1956 (Y brackets turned up in 57.).
Lower fork legs were in good condition, so linished then polished. New seal holders as the old ones were battered, sometimes its just not cost effective to restore and re-chrome. Made new alloy brake air scoops, larger top scoop is works type, lower rear is standard but its hard to see. The brake linkages are a mix of original and new replica using whatever I could. Internally the brake condition was remarkably good so a quick assembly and adjustment after the clean up.
Fork crown area turned out nice and bang on period wise.
Rear end had problems like the sprocket studs and dowels were wrecked so been reinstated at mid point.
All repaired and fitted. Rear shocks are the originals refurbished and have made new alloy top and bottom shock shrouds again a used on early works bikes and by Surtees.
The chassis needed everything, it was bent, brackets cut off, brackets added, the rear subframe and upper shock mounts were mostly scrap. The frame restored back to standard / original!
The chassis just about finished!
Next is engine assembly time!