Cafe Racer Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Maybe you should have another go at it. With the advent of modern software and a computer with all of the plug ins and virtual instruments you can do things now that we're simply unheard of back then for the average person. Still the MOST important part of any recording is the capture....which now can also be done with high end mics and some basic preparation for home studios.

Plus now your mind might be a tick clearer and wiser for the wear.
All the silicon whizbangs and whoop-whoops are very clever, but ultimately it's the human factor that trumps them all. How come Brian Eno produced the bulk of the influential music in the late seventies and early eighties? ,it was the man, not the machine. Digitalization has only made music worse to the ear, not better. It's like Muzak escaped the elevator, had sex with Godzilla's Walkman, and then it's spawn attacked everyone's cell phone.

Danger, is my business."

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
that stuff makes me want to curl up in the fetal position under my bed while sucking my thumb and crapping my pants.
That sounds like the average U.K. politicians idea of bliss, on a bank holiday weekend. Max Mosely? Cyril Connely?

Danger, is
my business."

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Maybe you should have another go at it. With the advent of modern software and a computer with all of the plug ins and virtual instruments you can do things now that we're simply unheard of back then for the average person. Still the MOST important part of any recording is the capture....which now can also be done with high end mics and some basic preparation for home studios.

Plus now your mind might be a tick clearer and wiser for the wear.
I fully understand Protools and it's magic and though I'd love to go back and do it all again, there are many reasons that it won't happen. Mostly me, but also the group dynamic. I was a real bitch to work with and had a hard time communicating what I heard in my head to what was coming out of our collective hands. That and controllable outside influences pretty much killed what should have been life long friendships at minimum.

Just not worth it at all, though I do have a bank of bits and pieces of songs that have occasionally popped into my head. It's just what I do, post stoner...

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I feel ya...

I know the dynamics of a band is important. I am not a musician but we have them in the family. I've noticed some of the best bands....not all.....have a specific "shot calla" so there's no mosh pit of thoughts and feelings. Maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Exactly my feeling Jag. I too would love to see harsher penalties for both pot and alcohol if/when it is made legal. And just because it becomes legal doesn't mean everyone will suddenly smoke pot everywhere.

And if not made legal, why is alcohol still legal? Why is nicotine still legal? I go back to my original statement on who gets rich from each.

An aside - Back in college, when I needed extra cash, I'd rent myself out to the National Institute for Health (NIH) in Bethesda. They paid top dollar to run experiments on us college kids, most of which were nothing more than entertaining.

One such experiment, which paid $1500 for three 3-hour sessions, was to test a new drug to combat memory loss and Alzheimer's. They ran a set of baseline tests, then injected me with something that blew my memory away. Next set of tests proved it. Then they injected me with a scopal amphetamine, I believe it was a derivative of Scopolamine. This shit really blew my mind. I saw the ceiling blow off and the walls peel back. I don't think it ever improved my memory for these tests, but getting paid to trip was...well...quite a trip!

Reactions: Farmer_John

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
An aside - Back in college, when I needed extra cash, I'd rent myself out to the National Institute for Health (NIH) in Bethesda. They paid top dollar to run experiments on us college kids, most of which were nothing more than entertaining.

One such experiment, which paid $1500 for three 3-hour sessions, was to test a new drug to combat memory loss and Alzheimer's. They ran a set of baseline tests, then injected me with something that blew my memory away. Next set of tests proved it. Then they injected me with a scopal amphetamine, I believe it was a derivative of Scopolamine. This shit really blew my mind. I saw the ceiling blow off and the walls peel back. I don't think it ever improved my memory for these tests, but getting paid to trip was...well...quite a trip!
All of a sudden your avatar makes sense!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
That should be the slogan for anti legalization.........
I assume I'm not normal though. I see people smoke that stuff like there was nothing to it…… and it's not the wimpy shit that used to come from Mexico back in the day. The locally grown stuff has so much THC in it that it's absolutely stupefying. I'm all for legalization, but young folk with developing brains should stay away from it. Unfortunately they will get it legal or not. The amount of money wasted on policing it is ludicrous. It baffles me why alcohol is ok , but weed is not.

I was at a bar a few years ago with a couple of buddies and there was some sort of wedding celebration going on. A young lady walked up to us and asked if we wanted a brownie. I abstained, because I don't function all that well in public to start with, but my buddies figured why not. One who almost never partakes in that sort of thing decided he should wolf down two and the young lady (who we now call the "Brownie Girl') says…Oh.. you don't need two…
Anyway wasn't too long after that when it started to kick in. He found it amusing at first, but then it got to the point where he honestly thought he was in Las Vegas and then it eventually degenerated to the point where he got this look of horror on his face and wanted to go home immediately. Turns out that although he could still walk, he had very limited feeling below the waist and thought he might have shit himself. He wasn't entirely sure, but desperately wanted to get home and check…. and no we didn't let him behind the wheel of his 396 4spd Chevelle. Took him about 48hrs before he knew which way was up.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I always liked this comparative; When you're drunk, you drive the wrong way up the interstate. When you are stoned, you keep missing your exit.
Sounds about right to me.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Regulate, not legalize. And tax the shit out of it! Benefit. Benefit. And keep it out of the hands of minors.

·
Registered
63 Posts
All stoners do is get stuck on the couch, drive too slow, and raid the refrigerator.

Drinkers, commit crimes of passion, are abusive (sometimes), speed and drive recklessly, try to fight cops.

I conclude weed is superior.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
That actually sounds scary to me. Your memory pretty well accounts for who you are and what you are. Wonder what it was that they used to clear your mind. Even that stuff they gave me in the hospital while they were shoving a fire hose, air hose, and camera up my ass in search of my dignity gives me reason for pause. It seems to me that it would be more fitting to use some diddlers from the local gravel factory for those types of experiments. I mean really.. we're capable of fucking ourselves up enough at that age without the help of a bunch of fog bound mad scientists.

·
Registered
440 Posts
That actually sounds scary to me. Your memory pretty well accounts for who you are and what you are. Wonder what it was that they used to clear your mind. Even that stuff they gave me in the hospital while they were shoving a fire hose, air hose, and camera up my ass in search of my dignity gives me reason for pause. It seems to me that it would be more fitting to use some diddlers from the local gravel factory for those types of experiments. I mean really.. we're capable of fucking ourselves up enough at that age without the help of a bunch of fog bound mad scientists.
The pharmaceutical industry is the most psychopathic of them all. They do very shady stuff all of the time and are responsible for more deaths and injury than can be accounted for. Then they tell us it's because they want to help. LOL Check out the story behind Bayer and factor 8 if you don't already know. They kept selling HIV tainted blood products overseas after it was discovered that the medicine had given thousands of people AIDS. Hey! They needed the money. College kids who are broke enough and desperate enough to risk their bodies for money are just rats to them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have seen too many young lives wasted and ended with booze and drugs. Anything which is addictive and fries or stultifies your brain has to be bad for people. Especially the young, who are always curious and experimental making weed a gateway to hard drug. Use for many. I hear many regular users of cannabis regaling me of its merits and safety. This begs the question, am I listening to the cannabis talking here? Everyone who is drunk spends all their time trying to convince those around that they are sober and everything is great. I like a drink, I love bars, I am not proud of that but I try to limit it by avoiding liquor and sticking to beer and cider. I never mix booze and work or riding/driving.. Whatever you may feel for your own state, always ask yourself if your children deserve the world you are advocating and justifying. Political and religious brainwashing is also very dangerous. If we cannot keep full control of our brains there is no hope for us.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have seen too many young lives wasted and ended with booze and drugs. Anything which is addictive and fries or stultifies your brain has to be bad for people. Especially the young, who are always curious and experimental making weed a gateway to hard drug. Use for many. I hear many regular users of cannabis regaling me of its merits and safety. This begs the question, am I listening to the cannabis talking here? Everyone who is drunk spends all their time trying to convince those around that they are sober and everything is great. I like a drink, I love bars, I am not proud of that but I try to limit it by avoiding liquor and sticking to beer and cider. I never mix booze and work or riding/driving.. Whatever you may feel for your own state, always ask yourself if your children deserve the world you are advocating and justifying. Political and religious brainwashing is also very dangerous. If we cannot keep full control of our brains there is no hope for us.
For the sake of argument...

Humans have been ingesting mind altering substances since the beginning of recorded history, and the human race is still growing. Lumping Heroine, weed and alcohol into the same category is not very objective point of view, they all have quite different effects. The weed gateway drug thing is an old myth, without conclusive scientific evidence.

I do agree too many people think weed is "good for us", it really does nothing good for the body. I know several people with serious ailments (like MS and cancer) that it does help with symptoms and pain relief, but otherwise I consider it a minimally harmful recreational drug.

·
Registered
454 Posts
And tax the shit out of it!
I live in Colorado and smoked before legalization and have bought/smoked after legalization. The taxation part is insane, getting close to 30% in some areas - nothing else here comes close to that rate. Does it benefit the cities and state? Not as much as hoped, for two reasons: 1) the high rate encourages "undocumented retailers" to stay in business, and 2) the government frantically spends most of the money on "drug education" propaganda and for-profit "rehab" centers.

Thankfully I have a medicinal card which allows me to buy the same product at a discount rate and a mere 3.5% tax.

After 30 years of smoking I can say one thing with absolute confidence: I've done far, far fewer stupid things when stoned compared to when I was drunk, and without hangovers the next day.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts