Cafe Racer Forum banner

Martini? Gin vs. Vodka

5K views 43 replies 28 participants last post by  texmawby 
#1 ·
So. Vodka Martini. Pale substitute? Like lite beer? Or am I being a pain in the ass purist.

Gin. The true Martini? The heroin of alcohol? Is it the juniper berries? Why does Gin tend to make one an asshole, or is it just me?

We've covered clubmans and knee dents, lets weigh in on something important.

Cheers,
Leo

#5 ·
Tanquaray and tonic. The only way to go with gin. Vodka is useful for Bloody Marys and and other breakfast drinks.

Ken

#7 ·
I tried to get into Martinis. Even bought a real Martini glass. I just couldn't enjoy 'em, tasted too much like rocket fuel to me. Gak.
I do enjoy a Gin and Tonic, or a good Rum and Tonic. Vodka and Tonic not so much...in fact I can't remember why I have Vodka, maybe for Bloddy Marys as Ken suggests.

We've been sipping Margaritas this summer, with the occasional Strawberry Dacqueri made with garden fresh strawberries, but they're almost done.

FR

#13 ·
Well my vote will have to go towards the gin...as a suggestion to my fellow builders/riders go with a little gin and dew. this is my fav. and seems to work great on a hot day in the sun.

#14 ·
ken is right again.....(that's the THIRD time today.)

tanqueray and tonic is the only way to go...i will suffer thru bombay sapphire and tonic.

a great new gin to check out is bluecoat, from philadelphia...where else?!?!?!?!!!!!!

summit in september, loudon on labor day.....T&T's in turn 2?

texy

#15 ·
Texy,
"ken is right again" I like the sound of that.

Becky

#18 ·
Me? doesn't matter; Gin, Vodka: they're equally flammable when setting fire to hipsters.

But as a libation, they're both a little too brisk, kind of what I imagine a 500cc Motogp 2 stroke might have been like. Maybe it's my inability to sip.

How about a nice India Pale Ale? Kind of like a big single four-stroke. Make it a port and polish job and have it a double IPA...out here in the Bay Area, Lagunitas brewery makes a bunch of pleasant examples. What do you guys have on the East coast?

#23 ·
I'm a Tito's or Kettle One (SP?) martini guy. But I do love some gin as well. Hendricks and tonic or soda is the way to go. It's just too hot in Texas for beer right now.

And yes, if imprudent, I can go from zero pissed in no time flat.

--Chris

#24 ·
Glad to see we have so many Gin drinkers here. Hendricks is the best available for my money. http://www.hendricksgin.co.uk/us/about/index.asp My ABC store (VA) doesnt carry it, so i have to have them order it for me. Nothing like getting calls from a liquor store telling you your booze is in. 14oz Rocks GLass > 2 cubes > Gin to about 75% > Tonic to about 90% > Lime on top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.