Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
as some of you know I'm tottaly changing Gina, and want to paint one of my helmets in matching colours (nothing Radical Black and Yellow)
I've tried on an old helmet but i am having issues with the masking.
How do you mask a straight line from front to back on a curved surface, I'm using 25mm tape and no matter what i do i cant get a straight line on both side of the tape. The plan is to run a couple of parrallel yellow lines from front to back with a pinstripe in the middle.?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
tape is your best friend.use good quality thats scotch or 3m brands ONLY .its an eye ball thing stick tape at front end of helmet and lay down slowly sighting(standing behind and maybe kneeling to get good sighting) it as you go slowly over the helmet if you veer off track, lift tape and start again.

It takes even talented guys a few trys to get it straight.So dont be discouraged.may want to use 3/4 wide tape then follow the inside edge with FINE LINE Tape you can only get at a autobody supply store or a napa store its very flexible dont be to tempted to stretch it just because it does it stretchs so it will form corners easy.But what the fine line gives you is a tape that will give you a fine line on your stripe.
dont load paint on the edges thats the trick to a crisp edge.

How ever if you get crazy and load up the paint while the paint is tacky you can use a light razor blade to follow the fine line tape or let it dry COMPLETELY here ,wait it will pay off with a crisp line. When you pull the tape SLOWLY pull it(the tape) back on it self like your bending it back wards and away at a sharp angle to the stripe .This will give you a crisp sharp line. Dont lift tape straight up.. always pull like your bending it backwards and to a sharp angle from what you have taped.

its better to have paint dry, as to tacky and you may get strings of stretchy undried paint sticking to the tape.making the line unclear.and not sharpe and crisp which is your aim.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
with fine-line tape.its stretchy and comes in different widths you can draw you line with the FINE-LINE then mask up to the fine line with 3m or scotch brand tape.
why fine line its flexible and leaves a fine line(hence the name)

why 3m or scotch brand tape because they stick and seal so paint doent get under it and most important it "UNSTICKS" whith out lifting the paint underneath.

why pull tape back onitself like you were bending it back over like you were folding it backwards and on a sharp angle.To keep the arear you are pulling the tape from small so it doesnt pull up what is under it .

always pull off tape slowly so it something is coming up you can stop and keep the area small or tiny .may have to pull the other end to unstick it from behind going the opposite direction.

All professional painters have these same issues EVERY TIME THEY MASK and tape .so rules are best quality brand tape 3m or scotch ONLY and fine-line tape for the detail .and pull tape of THE PROPER way slow and backwards on a sharp angle.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
right, a wider pinstripe tape is what you need. itll flex, and bend, but wont kink. and it pulls up nicely. i used to use it all of the time, but i have no idea where you could get it. maybe charette.

jc

·
Registered
62 Posts
i used masking tape from the hobby shop. its only like 3mm wide so the edges dont buckle. it did really nicely. post it up when you are done!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts