Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys seem to know more about engines than most on TT, so I'll ask here as well as TT. My 05 DRZ400 is making a strange ticking noise that I don't believe is the valves or cam chain. The bike doesn't make a ticking sound at idle, under acceleration, or cruising. It only makes the sound during engine braking. If I pull in the clutch, the sound stops.

The tick itself isn't normal. It sounds like a metallic heartbeat. Again, only on decel engine breaking: tick tick -- tick tick -- tick tick. The sound doesn't really seem to be related to engine rpm as the the speed of the tick only marginally slows down, almost not even noticeable in time.

Do you guys have any ideas? The noise came on suddenly, it didn't grow louder as time went on, it was just there one day.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Some DRZ's had bad cam chain tensioners. The fix is to install a manual cam chain tensioner.
The DRZs are noisy bikes. Have you checked the valves yet? I don't think they have an auto-decompression valve. If they do, that could also be what's making the noise.

I have a DRZ400 as well. A 2002 E model. Love the bike, just wish it had a 6th gear.
I probably should replace the cam chain on mine. I beat on it quite a bit.

Check out the Thumper Talk forum. Plenty of DRZ knowledge there.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
I think the tt hes referring to is thumper talk. but yeah, they are kick ass over there.

jc

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm about to check the valves soon, maybe this weekend. That is a few votes for a drive chain issue now so I'll check closer into that as well. I didn't mean to diss ThUmper Talk, they are knowledgable. It's the DRZ section seems to be riddled with a lot of know it alls that can get a good response deluted in a hurry. Don't have that problem in the XR section.

Unga, I should do the MCCT but they seemed to fix a lot of the issues with it in later DRZs. It's only a fifty dollar item, but that's cash that could go to the CB!

Geet, no burning oil. I'll check valves though.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
They do have an auto decompressor but its centrifugal like the ones on TL1000 (and the ATV's :D)
Not sure if it has a torque limiter clutch though, haven't been inside one yet (well, not bottom end anyway)
Carb slide flutter maybe or an air leak at silencer joint?

PJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts