Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems a year or so ago someone here or on the USCRA board was talking about riding a bike from Texas down into central america.

While I am not going that far, I plan on entering Mexico at the Pharr/Reynosa bridge and then driving as far as I can into Mexico in one day, hang out a day, then drive back to meet a mission team I am leading. We build little houses in poor neighborhoods, and this year dodge bullets from the cartel wars.

Anyone here ever been a ways into Mexico??--I am looking for a colonial mountain village, nice plaza with a church on one end and a small cheap hotel on the other, a nice outside resturant to enjoy a cervesa or two, served by tall thin darkeyed senoritas.........., or maybe the same thing on the beach with the beer served by a tall thin darkeyed senorita in a bikini....

I have been spending a month each year in Mexico for the past 10 years, but never got more than 30 miles inland.

Jack

Edited by - Jackc on Feb 06 2008 8:51:11 PM

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Jack: I use to read blogs off of this site awhile back and contemplated writing a few about my trips around southern South America on my yamaha 125. Anyway, there are a few good stories about trips into Mexico. Too bad you can't get to la Barranca del Cobre (Copper Canyon) in one day from your entry point. That place is neat.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/gregfrazier/news/2002-11-30.shtml

exhito, mi hermano. Vios con suerte y cervesa, por si tu tienes los dos, tu no necesitas el dios. Basta! Basta!

Pedro!

Yeller'
---
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs”

Edited by - Pete Casper on Feb 07 2008 12:40:58 PM

Edited by - Pete Casper on Feb 07 2008 12:43:56 PM

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
mikeo/dirt pete does it, hes actually on his way south right now. and time courts i think has ridden all of the way into south america. at least central america. you can drop mike o a note. hes checking his mail.

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys!

Pete, my spanish isn't as good as yours, but I figured out everything you said except the "Basta Basta". Translation please.

my spanish can get by in the present tense, in good situations. A guy could be telling me that he was going to cut off my balls and fry them up,and as long as he had a smile on his face and a cordial tone to his voice, I would wonder what game he wanted to play with a pelota.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Jack; I lived there for a year in Mexico city back in the '70s. Guanajuato and Guadalajara both fit the description you gave. Can't remember how far south of the border they are. No beaches though; they are inland. They are not small towns however. Try to stay away from american tourist places like San Miguel de Allende and all the places on the pacific coast within a day's drive from the border; I hear it's just an extension of the US in that area now. Bring plenty of cash for "la Mordita".

Zijuatanejo used to be a great little beach town but it's all developed with hotels and stuff now.

Dreamqueen
USCRA #305

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DQ,

We are headed down the East coast, thinking about about somewhere maybe around Monterry or Saltillo.

Please translate "La Mordita"

It should be an intersting trip.

Jack

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
what a loooonnngggg strange trip it's beeen . . . . . (name that band)
let us know what happens.

I'm slow and not so evel

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:
Please translate "La Mordita"
Bribes. All transactions are negotiable. I overheard a vendor talking to his friends after some american tourists bought some tourist crap pottery from him. He went around the corner and was laughing with his friends about how much he charged for some crappy pottery, but came back with a straight face, and was polite to them in very good english.

Most mexicans expect american's can't speak spanish, so they'll lie to your face and make fun of you as you walk away. At least in the tourist towns they do. Everyone's hustling something. Rather annoying if you're just trying to relax.

Stay out of the tourist towns.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unga,

Thanks for the translation. There is a gesture for that--running your right hand from you left shoulder diagonally across your upper body while letting out a light whistle. I didn't know the word for it. I have never had to pay a bribe, but I have never been pulled over, yet. I was told if a cop gives you a fine, ask if you pay him, or where do you pay?

I spend at least a month a year in Rio Bravo Mexico, but it is far from a tourist town--if you see a gringo in town the chances are about 90% they are, like me, working with a mission organization. I have never been overcharged for any transaction, and they have had plenty of opportunities with lots of flat tires ($2.00 for a vulcanized inside patch) and other auto repairs. But once I get away from the area I don't know what to expect. I don't think many tourist are in the north east part of Mexico--there really isn't much there.

To buy trinkets and belts I always make a trip to Neuvo Progresso, the closest tourist town. That is a different world--I get annoyed by all the tourists insulting mexicans and generlly being jackasses. Unfortunatly my espanol isn't good enough to hear what is said behind my back.

Jack

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
quote:
thanks guys!

Pete, my spanish isn't as good as yours, but I figured out everything you said except the "Basta Basta". Translation please.

my spanish can get by in the present tense, in good situations. A guy could be telling me that he was going to cut off my balls and fry them up,and as long as he had a smile on his face and a cordial tone to his voice, I would wonder what game he wanted to play with a pelota.
Bastard...in Mexico, they may yell it at gringos....I use it as a term of affection.

Yeller'
---
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs”

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Jack, I have a funny story for you. When I was in the Peace Corps in Paraguay, the Paragauyains have a signal for "getting some." You rev
your hands like you are on a motorcycle. I didn't find out about this for several months, and since I was alway riding and looking for parts for my 125cc, I'd do the rev your hands sign...boy, an entire community thought I was a stud... how far from the truth...lol

Yeller'
---

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats funny, I will have to remember that and see if the gesture is the same.

One time a team I was with in the dominican republic wanted some creosote to put on posts they were putting into the ground. they didn't know the proper word, so decided that maybe it would be preservative, so they went to the lumber/building place and asked for "preservativo". It took them a while to figure out why the guys at the store were cracking up. The proper word was simply criosoto, and they,as you know, had been asking for condoms....

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:
To buy trinkets and belts I always make a trip to Neuvo Progresso, the closest tourist town. That is a different world--I get annoyed by all the tourists insulting mexicans and generlly being jackasses. Unfortunatly my espanol isn't good enough to hear what is said behind my back.
Yeah, I didn't mean to sound so negative. Most americans will walk up to a mexican and start speaking english, expecting them to understand. Rather rude when you're in their country. It definitively goes both ways. It is a great country and we did meet some very nice people. Just stay out of the tourist towns. And the air in most larger towns is pretty nasty.

But there are some rather pretty areas.

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
Who was the USCRA couple that rode down about five or six years ago....the guys wife was raped and murdered on the beach while he worked on the bike just a couple hundred yards away?
Can't remember their names just now.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:
I thought that was Courts . . .

I'm slow and not so evel
Nope... I remember hearing that as well. Random violence is just that. Random. Happens all over the world.

I have an interesting story about a guy I met while hiking part of the AT a few years back I'll tell sometime over beers. Guy had serious mental problems...

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unga,

Can you name some of those towns to avoid? From the photo looks like maybe you were on the west coast?

Johhny B, you really know how to make a guy feel safe and secure...
of course, the same thing could happen down at Wal-Mart.

jack

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:
Unga,

Can you name some of those towns to avoid? From the photo looks like maybe you were on the west coast?
WTF do I know? I've only been to Mexico once. For most towns, the smaller the better. But anything on the coast will be overrun with tourons. My dad just got back from Costa Rica. Said that the whole place is being taken over by big hotels and tourists and people buying huge tracts of land to retire on.

Money talks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts