Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
yep, another excellent mid-o event. it was great to see all of you again and thanks for stopping by our spot on the field!!! i must say saturday was the balls hanging with judy and the girl. you two are troopers and it was a pleasure to get to know you both. btw..judy bakes REALLY good bread!!! post the 3 up picture you dork!!!

and craig....you know how all pretty women like to sit with me on my bikes....yawn....its a chore but i get through it :)

i AM going to race the event next year..........it was killing me to not be on the track.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
quote:Originally posted by JudeyramoneNO, I am not posting the 3-up photos, because I look like an incredible dork (I hate having my picture taken).
Hmmm... It's a damned shame I took some pictures of you guys three up on the Bultaco too.....

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I believe that's Paul Germain. The new Vintage Grand National Champion. He competed, and did well, in vintage flat track on Friday. Then did very well in vintage roadracing on Saturday and Sunday. He was the Canadain Flat track national champion in the early 70s. I not sure who would have been straightened out. :)

Craig

·
Registered
23,292 Posts
BTW, the yamaha that Tex is riding is a Team Obsolete bike, so those who bitched about T.O. not racing a bike at Mid-O here and on the WERA board can....well...kinda suck it. Granted it is not a factory Works pukka pukka race bike but given the short notice they got about AHRMA being outed I am not surprised. T.O. is not as huge an organization as most people think, espically if you judge them by the tow vehicle.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Speaking of tow vehicle, did you guys make out any better on the way home? I didn't. My van is in the shop now for a $1800 repair bill.

Craig

·
Registered
23,292 Posts
van gave us a little trouble on the way back, slowed us down but really we didn't lose more than 30 min. we found that if we pulled over, shut the van off and then turned it back on again the fuel pump would prime up and we could then continue on our way. I did have one really white knuckle moment with the van about 2 hours out of the track when the thing hiccuped and then died on me while I was doing about 70mph on the highway. Just shifted her into neutral and restarted - didn't even have to change lanes and only lost about 10mph during the whole incident but it was pretty hariy for about 30 seconds staring at a dashboard with every idiot light lit up and a semi bearing down on me.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
we had to lose the bat......it fell out during the trip home on a stop to "check the load." after we lost it, the van seemed to go better. maybe it was a bad omen after all.

we named the van "philis." when she got sick, we called her "syphilis."

no breakdowns on the way back. we knew the procedure by then. next year we will have to take the sprinter!

tex

·
Registered
623 Posts
Here's a link to a video of the first race sighting lap. A couple more bikes went down after turn 6.

[video=facebook;1136076974341]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1136076974341&comments=[/video]

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
What is it with Vans and racing anyway. Seems like everyone I ever heard of that used a Van had an unusual amount of problems with it. They just don't seem to tolerate long hauls full of stuff very well.
Trannies seem like they are always blowing out.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I drove up to Canada to race this weekend and mine started making a noise like someone shaking a metal can full of rocks- I thought maybe it was the alternator. I was already more than halfway so I kept driving and shut off the radio, fan, running lights, etc. While sitting in the line at the border crossing, with everyone staring at me, the noise went away as I rolled up to the booth. It stayed away the rest of the trip and the whole way home and has been more silent at idle than I remeber in a long time. Voltmeter on the dash never wavered, I stared at it more than the road so I could pull over quickly if needed.
I have no idea what it was but now don't know what to tell a mechanic to look for.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
The only problem I've had with my (Ford E350) was that the tensioner pulley seized and started to eat the belt. I thought it was a little noisy on the way back from riding on the ice this winter. Pop the hood when I got home, and the belt had eaten through half the pulley. Belt was barely hanging on. Got me home, though.

Easy to fix with so much room. My fuel pump has been loud ever since I've owned it. I should replace it.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Rob - which engine do you have in your E350? I've got an E350 as well. With a V10 triton motor. The coils sit on top of the spark plugs just waiting for an excuse to fail.
When it's running right this gas motor can pull my trailer without any problems. When it's not it's a piece of crap.
Craig

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I still prefer the van over the pickup. Everything is locked up and dry when you walk away and you have a place to sleep. Tents are for hobos and boy scouts

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Oh. And I didn't find any dead bats in my van but I did find a dead frog which had begun to bake quite nicely in the small amount of sun that we had at Mid-Ohio. By the time I made it home he was completely done. Which made it easy to find.

Craig

41 - 60 of 74 Posts