Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the grandaddy of all motorcycle swap meets is right around the corner. Every year, as we prepare to pack our caravan and head up to Mid-Ohio, its always interesting trying to figure out what to bring. There's little in life I enjoy more than roaming around Thursday night (vendors only), checking out what all of the other salvage yards have brought and comparing strategies. Some guys go all light plastic, others go all heavy complete bikes. Some go rare and expensive, others go cheap and non-durable (like cables, grips, etc.). And some...I don't know what the hell they were thinking.

What has really been interesting is watching what ebay has done to the swap meet in general. Some things I've noticed:

1. Haggling over price certainly ain't what it was before ebay. ("Yeah, sure you could get $100 all day long on ebay for that xj550 maxim sidecover.")

2. Between ebay and the Japanese/Euro exporters, desirable 70s Jap bikes are really going through the roof.

3. With a weak dollar and a worldwide ebay market, it ain't gonna get any better.

That said, i think the boss is gonna go for selling stuff that is often too expensive to ship like exhausts, tanks and seats. We'll see.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Whatever you bring, bring stuff that i need! my buddy just confirmed the room reservations so i'll be there for sure now.
The market is definately goofy right now as a whole, i'm sure you have a more in-depth perspective to what is going on. With this particular pursuit it seems like little things can skew particular segments or particular bikes. Peter Egan wrote a story about how great his S90 honda was back in the day. next mont everyone responded with personal storys saying the same thing. At Davenport the next year my buddy sold his nice (but not great) S90 for a $400 dollar profit. Parts were suddenly golden. Motorcyclists new vintage mag could have a similar effect.
Gas prices and people dragging out their old bikes needing parts, just wainting to get in to motorcycling, it is gonna be odd.
Im just 26 and never had a bike newer than my 84 FJ1100 and have seen it get wierder.
$40 barn bikes not so much at the moment.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I'm planning to be there myself - I'll be the one drooling over all the parts I don't need right now... Besides that, I'll be a pit rodeo for my buddy who will be racing his flat-trackers, we will be easy to spot, just check out the winners circle....

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Yea Krap.......good observation i'd say. Luckily we bring new products that fit a wide range of applications and sell at an affordable price. I'll be bringing some italian spares as well. I've scored some good stuff on "vendor" night.

Be sure to stop by space Z-18 and mention caferacer for a special discount

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by champ

Yea Krap.......good observation i'd say. Luckily we bring new products that fit a wide range of applications and sell at an affordable price. I'll be bringing some italian spares as well. I've scored some good stuff on "vendor" night.

Be sure to stop by space Z-18 and mention caferacer for a special discount
And by discount you mean "reach around"....right,champy?

......I'm just fucking with you.....I'll bring some beer this time. Are we still going to do the caferacer.net reunion on noon Saturday? (that is when we did it last year, I think).

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also predict nothing short of a mass invasion of cheap Chinese scoots.

These gas prices are just what Jincheng, Roketa and the others have been waiting for.

P.S. John (Champ), I'm still good for a set of 350 clipons. I'll even bring you a frosty cold beer.

EDIT: I'll just pay full price. No reach-arounds will be necessary, thanks.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Yea.....that would be cool if everybody came by at noon on saturday.
Tons of fun.......we play pin the tail on geeto!!!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, man.

Me, XS650Joe and his wife Michaela rented a vendor spot to represent our VinMoto "chapter". We did well, sold some stuff, bought some stuff and met some great folks. By the way, Geeto's a cool guy.

I barely made it over to the track or the paddock to check out the race scene other than dropping in on some friends and meeting Ken and Tex (finally). From what I hear, there were a LOT of wrecks, Sunday's track oiling fiasco notwithstanding.

The swap side of the show was in every way the typical assault on the senses that Mid Ohio has become for me. VMD is less a swap meet than it is a phenomenon. Hundreds of vendors from all over the world converge on a hot dusty field nestled inside a race track and set up what amounts to a four day Moto-Circus Extravaganza. Its fucking existential when you stop and think about it.

Friday morning begins at 7:30 with the tinny blare of the loudspeakers announcing "Attention in the paddock, Attention in the paddock. First call, Practice Group One" and I roll out of my sleeping bag with a bladder full of last night's beer and stumble off to get some track coffee and have a much-needed piss, dodging fat guys on CT70's heading for the showers (eeeeegh) and 12 year olds on cackling dirt bikes getting a lap around the swap in before the swarming hordes arrive to clog the aisles. Sure its a couple hundred yards to the nearest porta-potty (best bathroom wall graffiti: "Porta John is Ichiban!"), but where else can you roll out of bed, spot a pristine '73 Z1, dodge a Montessa, admire a Triton and buy the exact sidecover you've been looking for all on the way to take a leak?

This is Vintage Motorcycle Days.

Oh yeah, and I finished the CB160 build -- on the grass, at the swap. I needed a breaker housing base gasket, walked up the hill, found a partial CB160 gasket kit for $1 after 10 minutes of looking, came back, finished the top end, hung the motor, fired it up and took the little girl on her first ride in probably 30 years.

Here she is sporting branson megaphones and champ clipons (thanks guys):

A big Thank You to all who helped on this build.

I also caught dirt-bike fever this weekend and picked up a CLEAN '74 KS125 for $400 and a NICE, titled '74 MT125 Elsinore for a friend for $300 (you can just make out the Kawi on the left side of the above pic). On the west side of the Mid Ohio property is an awesome set of wooded trails where they host the AMA vintage trials competition. I hadn't been trail riding since I was 16. Damn that shit is fun.

Good god, what a weekend.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
My plans to attend mid-o fell through for this year, I had work commitments - so if you guys have pictures - please post them. I more than likely saved a bunch of money from parts. It would have been nice to run into some of the folks off this site.

Next year - dangit

1 - 13 of 13 Posts