Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rabbie won 350 sportsman
stan i think took second (guess now i owe craig some beer too!)
im assuming craig got in the top 6.
whatevs took 7th.
tex got his bike together and took 12th.
bj took a 17th i think

no real other details. lots of crashes. i heard possibly a fire. but the caferacer.net crew survived. if i get any sunday details, ill pass em along.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tex was having problems with his throttle hanging open a bit, so he didint do as well as he could have unfortunately. He, Bj, ken and everyone else i met down there yesterday (im horrible with names) were awesome guys, top notch gentlemen. I was really hoping to go back today but i cant make it, so i hope to hear the cafe crew does awesome today. I cant wait to hear how it goes.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
rabbie was glass all weekend. won both sportsman 350, stan took second both times. lotsa bikes on the grid....sportsman 350 had 23 both days. plus about 8-10 in lightweight suberbike, and also 28 in 350 grand prix.

basically 60 bike on the grid at one time in two waves. lotsa traffic to go thru.

i was gridded behind stan on saturday. he was 18A, i was 19A. on the start i followed him into t1 and we passed 10-15 bikes. then he pulled away from me and went for the leaders, rabbie, wes orloff, and steve brown. i had a sticking throttle, standard shift pattern with crazy/clumbsy shift linkage, and a slipping clutch....but no oil leaks.

ended up in 12, ran 7 out of 8 laps (was lapped by roper, dean de st croix, and yoximiller) and rabbie and stan got me at the carousel on my checkered lap.

sunday was much better for me. fixed the throttle (gummed up from race gas?!?!?!?!) and the clutch. still with standard shift and clumbsy linkage, but more confident on the bike. i took an 8th out of 20-23. lotsa crashes, a guy oiled the ENTIRE track in practice without noticing or anyone else noticing.

these are the caferacer.net i met and hung with: brew, krapfever, burntblacktoast, scott from chicago (formally the guy in the orange shirt), joe's homeboy chris (who better start posting), champ, kenessex (and his/our beertopia), dale, bj, aron, and more...but i haven't thought who you are yet, so please don't be offended.

more later, but i got to get to the track for the ducati days. work, work, work....it's such a burden.

peace,

texy

·
Registered
25 Posts
We were in the garage next to rabbie. He dominated sat. and sunday in the sportsman 350 races. Nice guy too.

That oily track on sunday was WAY sketchy...tried riding lines around it and still slipped all around the track.

Good weekend for me, 2nd place in both races both days (prod. hvy and prod. light).

Met kenessex standing in line for armbands sat. morning. Spent the rest of the weekend in racefocusmode.

Good times for sure.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
ChuckS,

I wish I knew that. I was in the garage with Rabbie. I had the yellow and red Honda.

I had the skirt on this weekend. Even though I did some of my fastest times at Mid-Ohio I still came in sixth place on Saturday. And on Sunday I tried a new line thought the Ss and was feeling pretty good after my practice session in the morning. Then the Exxon Valdez showed up and I bailed out on Sunday's race.

Craig

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the two silver Triumphs next to you.

Even with the rain delays and the oil delays, it was hard for me to do any meet & greet during the day, and after the races everybody scattered in a million directions.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
It was good to meet so many of the guys and girl from the board. We did have a few beers in our oit that we were happy to share with anybody that would have one. I finished 7th and 9th in Vintage Middleweight superbike. On saturday I had an interesting start that BJ got on video. I tried to go between the two bikes gridded on the next row in front of me and they came together and pinched me off to the point I was afraid it was going to be messy. I had to completely back out of it and try and go around them. Sunday I had much better grid and got a good start, but between lack of HP and being tentative around the oil I just cruised around and stayed ahead of the bikes I beat on the start and never caught up to anybody that had gotten away from me. I pretty much road like a little girl.The coolest part of the race was being passed on the back straight by a TZ750 close at speed. I was winding out in 4th over 100mph when the leader lapped me like I was chained to a post. He went by me into the right hander and just disappeared. It was so cool. There were 7 TZ750s on the grid this weekend. I have never seen that many of them together.
It was a great weekend. Next year could be the est ever if some of the rest of you show up.

Ken

·
Registered
204 Posts
thanks for the beer offer and the h20 and gatorade offer as well. if it was not for the 6 hr car ride ahead of me i probably would have taken you up on your offer. Nice meeting you guys, if only briefly.

·
Registered
623 Posts
What a great weekend. There were some problems with oil on the track and I missed the first two practice sessions on Friday due to bike issues (world's biggest swap meet and I had to go to Walmart for a battery!) but it was still a blast. Great meeting everyone and putting some faces to the names and checking out all the amazing race bikes. Too cool.

Watching Stan working on Tex's motor was an education. I wish I had video of the operation. The worst part of the weekend was seeing the cracked engine case on Aron's Duc. It was enough to make a grown man cry!

I did ok in my race finishing 15th. The track is pretty intimidating, especially with so many fast bikes out there. I passed a few but mostly was just trying to keep a steady line and not get in the way. Can't wait 'til next year.

I got some photos and a couple short videos I'll post tonight.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Duc is dead...long live the Duc!

Very sad, as we've been through so much together. Always a silver lining, though. Now I can build the 250 I have been wanting for a year, and having all the Ducati experts and aficionados come by to take a look was great. Everyone had a different idea of what happened inside, but once I showed then all that it still had compression, most were stumped. We were thinking of setting up a "Suggestions Box" for all the different theories, then rewarding the person closest once I cracked the cases and took a look. My personal theory is that a small crack developed behind the bevel tower where I had previously noticed some oil weepage and which bolt torquing never helped. I couldn't see anything back there, though. At any rate, during Sunday practice I noticed some gradually increasing vibrations that I thought might be loose engine mounts, but halfway down the back straight...POP! I immediately grabbed the clutch and coasted, found a high gear and slowly let the clutch out, noticing that it seemed like everything was moving as it should. Once off the track and behind the wall, I saw that the damn thing was near decapitated. I guess it just let go all at once, catastrophically cracking both halves the the cases. There was no horrible noises or grinding or anything, so who knows. I'll update when I get it apart.

It was a good weekend nonetheless. Was kind of disappointed in my 7th place, but the grid was huge, laden with fast guys and I was gridded dead last. I know...excuses, excuses! I did smash my previous lap times, doing decent 1:58s in the race when my best times from previous years were somewhere in the 2:06 range.

Good to hang with everyone...I am so bad with names, but you know who you are. Good to see Bill down there after his initiation at Summit this year. I was unjustifiably famous with the USCRA crew (Craig, Steve D and others) for reasons I won't mention here - a story to tell at the next race. Immeasurable thanks to Tex for hauling my bike and gear - he is a saint...a resilient, immovable, hard racing, hard partying, insanely popular saint.

Hoping it's not the end of my season...we'll see.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hehe.....the wera gp classes are getting better and better! sorry to hear about your luck man. sucks. chris repod his bike a few weekd ago, or youd still have the back up machine to come have fun with us on. shoulda built that cb! youll love a 250 though.

jc

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Endurance race fatigue? Blame it on TT!
BTW, I ran into a guy who owned and raced that bike before you and Chris Stein.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
lot's of fun in the sidecar races. Rig ran like a champ all weekend after replaceing a weak fuel pump. 3 rigs dnf'd Sat. but only 1 wasn't able to be repaired and start (and finish) on Sunday.

A great time for our first visit to Mid-O, sure hope to make it next year

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
aron
sorry to hear and thank goodness it didn't go bang mid corner with someone on your wheel....rolling off a straight piece of track under control seems to be a safe exit. will enjoy running 250's with you when you get it together.
-parks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts