Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All:

When I bought the CB360, the previous owner said the left carb drained into the motor and got fuel in the oil. I figured it was a matter of rebuilding the carbs, which I did.

Last night, I went to start the bike for the first time in 10 years. Turn the petcocks on (there are two), and after a minute, fuel starts pouring from my fuel filter. Moreover, it fills the cylinder with fuel. The offending carb: yep, the left one.

I don't understand Mikunis; I just don't. But when looking in the carb, the fuel is pouring from three tiny holes near the filter edge of the carb. I thought the were mix inputs, but whatever.

I also dropped the bowl and noticed that oddly, there was no fuel in the bowl. I expected it to be atleast half full. I do have the stock carbs that I can go back to if needed.

--Any guidence is appreciated, Chris

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Chris;
Smells like a clogged carb jet or a float level not set or a float that is stuck. Best bet after 10 years the carb needs a good dunk in some carb cleaner solution. Check out your local auto parts store for a one gallon of carb cleaner with a basket inside. Take the carb apart and leave it in the solution for a day or two, then use a fine wire to clean out your jets. Reset the float level and give it another whirl..

good luck.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
if it has been standing for ten years

make sure the entire fuel system is clean, including the tank, fuel lines, any filters, and carb internals

all it takes is a bit of sediment or debris to result in forever pesky fuel problems

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions gents. I did completely tear the carbs down, soack them and rebuild them up. That's why I don't understand why this is happening. Of course, i don't understand Mikuni's...

I do have that manual suggested, but I'm still struggling. Do I need to try to blow compressed air up those three tiny holes? WTF are those little holes near the edge of the carbs?

--Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
did you find any debris or crap in the carbs?

have you popped the bowls off again?

any trash in them now?

trash in the fuel supply will cause flooding since it doesn't take much to keep the float needle from seating

did you set/check the float levels?

did you clean the tank too?

post a pic of the carbs if you would

you either have a bad float or problem with it's guide pin if it's a VM, a worn float needle/seat, float level incorrect, or trash/debris in the fuel

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

did you find any debris or crap in the carbs?

have you popped the bowls off again?

any trash in them now?

trash in the fuel supply will cause flooding since it doesn't take much to keep the float needle from seating

did you set/check the float levels?

did you clean the tank too?

post a pic of the carbs if you would

you either have a bad float or problem with it's guide pin if it's a VM, a worn float needle/seat, float level incorrect, or trash/debris in the fuel
The tank is brand new, as are the petcocks. Each fuel line has an in-line filter as well, so i don't think it is a NEW clog. I did pop the bowls off and curiously, the offending carb's bowl looked empty.

I'll review the manual and have a look at the float bowl height. I remember when i disassembled them that there were two washers used to space the float needle seat away from the carb. This may have been used to correct the issue I'm dealing with--though it seems like a awkward approach. I'll try those and see if it fixed the issue. I'll also play with the float height.

--Chris

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
If the bowl was empty, check that you haven't switch float bowls by accident. If your pair of carbs has a enrichner lever on one carb, then the bowls are different. They'll have different drain tubes in them. Could be the empty bowl is simply draining all the gas out the... drain.. thing.

Brain cramp. Take them both off and compare them. You'll see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
still a good idea to clean even new stuff

you never know when a brown recluse or wasp decides to nest inside something

1 - 9 of 9 Posts