Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
540nova where's the pic of your bike man... Vintage bicycles with lawn mower motors don't count... Yes I see there's a kit cool. I'll look into it.

What kills me is my original post was had a any one do a Mikuni carb swap......ya all have opinions great but none of yous are running a Mikuni carb so wtf would u know if I need a shorter or longer cable the cables were perfect on the old carbs

·
Registered
175 Posts
oh yeah? have you looked into that yet because I am pretty sure the shaft drive interchangeability of that bike with one that has an 18" rear is almost nil. I've never seen someone pull off an 18" wheel swap on one of those without converting to chain or machining an adapter for the rear wheel....but please tell me all about this planned 18" wheel swap.
Not to jump into the BS portion of this program (I swear the rake looks like somewhere around 10° in that one pic), but I am honestly curious if the splines would match for a direct swap of an 18" GL1000 wheel. Otherwise, you could work a drive shaft mate no problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
When I have the wheels on the bike I'll post it... As far as rake are any of yous certified motorcycle mechanics ? Who do it for a living and not a hobby I've had 2 mechanic take it for a ride. Plus the mechanic had the same bike add me he woulda told me about it cuz he took it for roaring 15min spin and he wasn't light on the throttle he was revving 9 10 k at the light I've put the bike to 70 mph it's a beast. But nothing higher speed limit and traffic

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
would u know if I need a shorter or longer cable the cables were perfect on the old carbs
well....have you looked into the throat of the carb while you worked the throtte? If you open the throttle all the way and the slide doesn't come all the way up and hit the stop, then you need a shorter cable inside the sleeve (ie shorter pull). there is some adjustment on the carb where the cable sits that will allow you to fine tune it but if it isn't opening more than 3/4 you are going to need to adjust the cable.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Google Venhill Universal throttle kit, available on eBay and other places, for less than $30.
Revival Cycles has a kit that is more complete, from Venhill, but it has more pieces than you'll need. Very easy to assemble the perfect length cable.
I don't want you to see my bikes, because then you'll feel bad about what a piece of crap you have, by comparison. I don't want to look like a show off.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I wanna know how you learn to shorten throttle cables? I'm curious
LOL. You should stop yappin' like you know what you are doing.

You can get a cable shortening kit or buy proper length cables.

Spending a bunch more money on usd front ends and spoke wheels is wasting money. I doubt the bike is "stupid fast", more likely just uncomfortable to ride fast.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Not to jump into the BS portion of this program (I swear the rake looks like somewhere around 10° in that one pic), but I am honestly curious if the splines would match for a direct swap of an 18" GL1000 wheel. Otherwise, you could work a drive shaft mate no problem.
I don't think so (and also I think all GL1000 wheels of that era are 17"). IIRC the cx500 and the cb900c share a spline count.

I have heard of guys putting the whole GL1000 final drive into other bikes just to get the 75-77 spoked rear wheel, but that's a lot of work for little return.

FWIW, you can unbolt the 2 speed unit from the 900 engine cases and convert to chain easier. I think there was a guy on this forum who did it. But honestly, cb900Fs aren't expensive and are literally a better bike in every way.

·
Registered
175 Posts
When I have the wheels on the bike I'll post it... As far as rake are any of yous certified motorcycle mechanics ? Who do it for a living and not a hobby I've had 2 mechanic take it for a ride. Plus the mechanic had the same bike add me he woulda told me about it cuz he took it for roaring 15min spin and he wasn't light on the throttle he was revving 9 10 k at the light I've put the bike to shoot 70 mph it's a beast.
It's pretty well documented what different rake and trail does to the handling, particularly as it relates to turning and long line cruising. Offering data like "he took it for roaring 15min spin" "revving 9 10k at the light" and "shoot 70 mph it's a beast" does nothing to prove anyone wrong on where your suspension is. You can get a simple angle gauge that will tell you where you're at. There are advantages and disadvantages to different numbers. I, for one, ride a chopper every day that has a 44° rake that's a blast to ride, but turns worse than the Peterbilt box truck I drove for a job in college.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Well if u read before that I said I already put over 100 miles on it and that I've put it up to 70 mph . I've cruised locally I've also taken the h.w for like 60 miles .she goes straight and fucking turns . Has more power than I need 2 over take cars like any sport bike .let's face it it's a 1980 Honda cb900 it's not gonna take corners at 100 like a cbr give me a break . But that it's extremely fun and extremely fast with these Mikuni flat side RS 34mm carbs . It's all that matters u can say what u want why don't u do this or buy this ...it is what it is ...Mr nova I've checked your previous post u not once have put a single picture of A bike non the less bikes ..so spare the bullshit. If u wasn't such a asshole there wouldn't be no reason 2 put u on blast .but here u are in a motorcycle community with a car sn and only negative shit to say and not a bike to show for it.... a Tire kicking window shopper is what u are

and by the way it's very comfortable my foot pegs are in there original position and the clip ons are raised so I'm at the same height as the stock but with the front cleaned up ... This is a community I see for wanna bes and people who have a million opinions but not a bike to show for it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
What I'm saying irk Miller is that the mechanic took it for a ride and he wasn't gentle at all ...he would have told me if there was a problem with the front suspension he rode it hard like he stole it to see if there was any flaws in the carbs and in everything else don't you think a experienced mechanic woulda came back and said we.need.to fix this and this none of yous have ridden the bike to even wonder how it handles lol speculation is all it is that the geometry change of course it was lowered does it ride good does it turn and corner yes ... All ya say is the geometry changed but since you guys are so experts in this since it's lowered in the front 2.5 inches is it gonna wobble in a straight line is it gonna suck at turning ? Which one fellas let's hear the expert opinions none of yous have specified in what way good or bad did this change do to the bike is it going to corner better but not go straight is it gonna go straight but not turn amuse me

·
Registered
107 Posts
Come to the Atlantic City, NJ indoor 3-day motorcycle show in January, and you can ogle 2 of my bikes in person. Bring your camera, and take notes, you might learn something.
Sorry I gave you the tip on the cable kits. Wasted effort on a gorilla who probably can't even install spark plugs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Wow it's a s*** storm outside and in here today :I guess I should say something constructive.

Are you an experienced rider? have you ground hard parts on a motorcycle? If yes and yes
you should be fine as long as it doesn't wobble or headshake on fast bumps and doesn't bottom out in corners on your first spirited ride down a bumpy wet road.

and
If it performs well I'd love to see you race it, but not on street because street racing is for dolts.
& If you are buying stolen motorcycle parts to build it you do not want to hear what I have to say about that.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
"let's face it it's a 1980 Honda cb900 it's not gonna take corners at 100 like a cbr give me a break ."
What's that about, the ability to corner depends far more on the rider then the machine.
& if you haven't figured that out yet you should probably pause on using the description "it's extremely fast" when you are chatting with a bunch of seasoned bike racers and engine tuners ;)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
This thread rocks!!!

I especially love the I’m 6ft and 200# comment. I’m just imagining some roided out numbskull trying to type but his fat fingers can’t move fast enough.

I’m very impressed.

I don’t think the geometry of the bike’s gonna bother him too much. The dragging knuckles should provide a third and fourth point of contact to stabilize the bike.

Please continue.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
that is a hideous ugly motorcycle srsly it just looks like something an alien from another planet would try to pull off
the cb900 off the dealer floor it was a thing of beauty in comparo

to the op is this a cultural thing ? is your bike what black america likes ?
it actually looks like something a mexican would put together

21 - 40 of 45 Posts