Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. I'm looking for some carb manifolds (insulators) for my 1965 CB450. The stock manifolds were made to attach to the original Keihin's that had a spigot diameter of approximately 43mm. The Mikuni's spigot diameter is 40mm. The CB450's bolt holes for mounting the carb manifolds are approximately 64mm apart, whereas the only SUDCO Mikuni manifolds (flanges) with a 40mm spigot diameter either have a 60mm or 75mm mounting bolt hole diameter. Does anyone know where I can get some Mikuni VM32 manifolds for my CB450? Oh, and it would be a bonus if they were angled like the 350 manifolds (the battery box is not removable and it is tight in there). Thanks!

David

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I'm just going through this same issue with a mikuni installation on one of my bikes - Sudco makes different size manifolds with various spigot openings and diameters. They even have angled manifolds. Take your carb parts down to your local bike dealer, they should be able to match up your requirements in their parts unlimited book. Your might even be able to use your current manifold as a clamp should make up 3mm with no problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quote:Originally posted by bmartin

I'm just going through this same issue with a mikuni installation on one of my bikes - Sudco makes different size manifolds with various spigot openings and diameters. They even have angled manifolds. Take your carb parts down to your local bike dealer, they should be able to match up your requirements in their parts unlimited book. Your might even be able to use your current manifold as a clamp should make up 3mm with no problem.
I just talked to SUDCO tech support (Chad). He said they don't make a manifold to fit the 1965 CB450, but that they recommend using the stock manifold and "stuffing it in there". When I pointed out that the bead in the stock manifold and the groove on the mikuni spigot aren't even close to lining up, he recommended "milling down the spigot". Well, I can't do that...nor do I want to, just in case I need to return them. He didn't have any other ideas...nor did he seem to care [}:)]. I found a website in the UK with a manifold that looks like it might be really close:

http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/products-manifolds.html

It's the PM15 listed for an RG500 and VM34. The C dimension (35.5) on my stock manifold is 32mm, so I'm not sure if that step down going into the head will cause problems, and the A dimension (63) on my stock manifold is 64mm, close enough to buy and try, I guess. The PM14 listed for a TR500 and VM34 comes close, too, if it weren't for the 8.10 bolts (mine are 6). Interestingly, The PM16, listed for the CB450 (and the VM36!) is way off (except for the 65mm "GP centers"?). Maybe it's for a late model CB450. *sigh*

Seems strange that such a thing isn't easier to find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts