Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some pics I took of the CD1-C while getting it ready for the next race. It's seldom seen with it's secrets hanging out like this. A two time champion NAKED!!!

Pics here: (high bandwidth warning)
http://www.jrbranson.com/HondaRacer/honda/CD-1c-naked.htm

Here's a teaser.
JohnnyB

PS. Hey, Geeto... you going to the 08 GTOAA Convention? It's in Saratoga Baby!

Edited by - jbranson on Oct 02 2007 06:15:19 AM

Edited by - jbranson on Oct 02 2007 06:24:47 AM

·
Registered
569 Posts
you're such a tease.........

d.

I love the smell of castor oil in the morning, but I have a Honda....

·
Registered
227 Posts
quote:
Here's some pics I took of the CD1-C while getting it ready for the next race. It's seldom seen with it's secrets hanging out like this. A two time champion NAKED!!!
It's a beauty John! Mind telling this clueless one what that bike started out as and what you added or modified/what class it runs in?
Thanks!

Dreamqueen
USCRA #305

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
hey john, im always amazed at how gorgeous that little bike is. man.....one day.

jc

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Beth,
Here's the rundown. Frame is originally Honda SL70, swingarm was lengthened 3" and had all the usual race mods, Front end is a MB5/CR80 hibred, wheels are Excel and Honda CR80, rear hub is CT90. Body work is AirTech MT125.
Engine is SL70, manual four speed box, close ratio 1st and 4th gear, Kitaco race clutch, Kitaco Mag/CDI ignition, Keihin 20mm race carb, DRP cylinderhead, roller bearing camshaft, Kitaco crankshaft, DRP piston, Kitaco exhaust, Takagawa oil pump, and a bunch of other small performance mods I've learned over the years.

Frank, top clamp is aluminum, does need an alloy lower though. Also needs a new lightweight fuel tank. Matt and I are working on that.

It's my favorite bike, one of these years I'll go through it really well and take care of every tiny detail.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
227 Posts
Very impressive! It's a real high tech jewel. Thanks for sharing the details.
I'm still trying to figure out how to make a rearset brake setup for a CB200T that works with the stock rear hub.

Dreamqueen
USCRA #305

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Forge the bike. i want to know how he keeps his garage floor so clean. Mr. Spic and Span!

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you didn't have a machine shop that cylinderhead you made would have cost about $1500.
So there.

JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
plus frank's shop hour total puts his bikes near the national g.d.p....$100/hour X40hours/week X3employees (frank's so smart, he does the work of three people) X40weeks/year (12 weeks of for summer vacaton) X50years of racing. what i could do with a qtr. million...
parks

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not to mention the $150,000 machine he used to make the parts. The $10,000 software, the $5,000 computers.

Yeah...Frank and his cheap bikes .... I scoff at his pretend cheapness.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did all the machine work with a cheap set of nail clippers and a spoon.... a plastic one.

If I had Frank's shop I would carve a bike out of a solid chunk of aluminum.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
504 Posts
JB,
We just found some high silicon aluminum bar to make some pistons. We looked all over to find it and McMaster Carr had it.
Too bad you're taking next year off cause Matt will have a much faster machine and will need someone to beat up on.

FC

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Frank...my pistons are already made from high silicon, low expansion aluminum. You are behind the curve baby. And believe me... I still have some tricks up my sleeve that I'm holding back on till I need them. Pretty sure I can get 28hp out of these engines if it's needed. All I gotta do is show up at one race and trounce you guys and I've made my point.
Used to be the Hatfields and McCoys... now it's the Bransons and Camillaries (sorry about the spelling..I can't ever get it right).

Don't protest me when I show up next year with a laptop computer hooked up to my bike in the pits. Hey...rules say any ignition you want. And I'm still only using 24mm carbs...I can go 26 to 28 no problem.

I say...bring it baby!! You wanna piece of this!
JohnnyB

1 - 20 of 28 Posts