Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
319 Posts
It can be done, but we need a consensus from everyone here, and an agreed upon count. On most of my sites that do this, the count is 25 posts, but we can enter just about any number.

I have to ask why this is coming up now? As I see it, the idea should be to provide an opportunity for the forum community to 'get a feel' for a new member as regards trustworthiness or expertise before they can sell here. The reason it was implemented in most cases is that some sellers turned out to be "drive-by sellers", selling misrepresented goods---bent wheels, warped rotors, etc---and were GONE. The post count does seem to have reduced that sort of shady activity. What's the reasoning here and now?

·
Administrator
319 Posts
Nothing new. Just tired of the one and done b.s. posts.

It'd be nice to weed out the fly-by posters.
To be fair, I'm pretty sure that a not-unnoticeable number of those one and done's get run off during 'hazing'. :eek: That said, we don't want to discourage noobs by over-restricting them as they get known here. I can, in good conscience, recommend this change IF we're dealing with a consistent problem. I can't, though, if you're just wanting to put up a heavier front gate and dig a deeper moat.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
To be fair, I'm pretty sure that a not-unnoticeable number of those one and done's get run off during 'hazing'.
That is about the only good part of those posts. Good way to let off steam by ripping on those turds

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
It needs to not be just a post count but a time frame also. Otherwise you get the noob that just wants to hawk his POS here coming into a number of threads with just short replies like "I agree", "Sounds Good" , etc. and getting his 10 post requirement in 5 minutes. If they are not here to participate then the hazing he gets for hawking his POS doesn't concern him, because his POS is still listed with a link somewhere else to reply to and gets exposure when they didn't plan on coming back here anyways. Other forums require like 25 posts and 25 days before you can post a for sale ad, and then their post needs to be reviewed by a moderator before it is posted to the general members.

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
I have been very much in favor of this in the past.

Now I just flat do not give a shit.

Most of our core members don't list there good stuff here anyway.
Only action is the one post wonders.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Most of the forums that implement this rule do this to protect their members from scammers and rip off sellers.

This forum doesn't really suffer from that as most members either don't buy stuff that is listed at stupid prices or know what stuff is actually worth.

In other words there's not much point in implementing a post limit over here.

·
Administrator
206 Posts
We have investigated and read the comments of members in this thread.

At this time, we do not see a need to implement the system, however we will continue to investigate and make changes as necessary.

Thanks for the suggestion and input.

- JB

1 - 16 of 16 Posts