Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after getting my bike running today the right cylinder froze up briefly. after cooling off i tried again and it will turn over but there's a not so pretty sound that comes from it when it does.

if it can be avoided i don't want to tear the top end down right now. the jugs have bent and broken fins so they aren't going to stay there forever anyway. i'm looking for a trick to keep these going for a little while till i can get my other top end prepped.

a damn shame. she screams like a banshee, can't wait to get everything dialed in.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the SL350 i've been posting about. i think the seizure was the result of the bike having sat so long, me not letting it warm up enough, and a slightly lean carb all mushed into one. i sprayed some wd40 in the cylinder to give it some kind of lube in there and when i turn it over i can both hear and feel friction on the right side.

fang is doing well, i just got an email from him today, i think we're going to try and play bikes sometime soon.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I don;t think that lean carb or short warm up would case any kind of seizure, just accelerated wear. That leaves a problem from sitting. I suspect that you got rusted rings and bore. You may have a stuck or broken ring at this point. If it were me(and it's not)I would dump some Marvel mystery oil down the plug hole and let it sit overnight. Then I would kick it over a bunch and see how it feels. I would then do a compression or leakdown test and compare the 2 cylinders. If there is some compression in the damaged side I would go ahead and fire it up and let it idle for a while and see what happens. I bet that it will probably have to come apart but it might make a comeback for a little while.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've never seen this mystery oil you guys speak of, not sure if they have it down here. magine i'll try what you say with some wd40 instead.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
another thing, today is the first time i started the bike but iv'e turned it over plenty without any sign of trouble. seems that if the rings and bore were rusted they would have let me know before today. also i ran it for a bit after it had cooled and there is no sign of smoke from the exhaust like i would expect from a broken ring and it sounded great.

something else has occurred to me though. i'm saying it seized but this didn't happen while in motion. the bike died at a light and i first experienced the problem when i tried to start it again. the lever is catching about mid way down when it's horizontal. it will finish the stroke but it takes more leg work to follow through. is it possible that it's the kickstart and not the cylinders at all?

Edited by - snorkelfork on Jul 25 2007 12:36:06 AM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I am with ken on this, a short warm up or running lean for a short while doesn't make something seize, not in the way something in the bore or clogged oil passages does.

Marvel mystery oil can be had at any auto parts store. it is pretty good stuff.

Throw out your can of wd40, it is pretty useless when it comes to bikes and you ought not to be using it. Need a penetrant oil? use liquid wrench, acetone and tranny fluid, or pb blaster. Need lube? use conventional oil, royal purple, or marvel mystery oil. Unless you get your bike severly wet there is nothing wd40 can do to help.

spraying it in a cylinder will only result in cleaning the conventional oil lining that cylinder bore off.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
kroil is the snizzle when it comes to good penetrating oils.

texy

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
note taken, any thoughts that this might be something other than a seized piston? if a short warm up coupled with a lean plug won't do it then i doubt that is what this is.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
broken spark plug? Happened in a buddy's chevy once where the ceramic cracked and fell into the cylinder. Made the car hard to start and scored up the cylinder wall.

could be anything at this point.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nah the plug is fine. what about it being the kick start that i'm feeling rather than the cylinder?

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Snork,

Can you try this? Put the bike on the center stand. Take out the spark plugs and put the bike in top gear. Can you turn the wheel without hearing the "not so pretty sound". If so then yes it sounds like you're on the right track with the kickstarter.

But you mentioned that the right cylinder froze - why do you think that happened?

Craig

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the bike has a 2-1 exhaust and no center stand, i see where you are going but i'll have to pull the pipes to put it on the lift so that might have to wait.

i mentioned the cylinder because the problem first began when it died on a test run. when i tried to kick it back on the lever was really stiff and i can now hear friction from somewhere</u> on the right side. this being something i hadn't experienced before my initial assumption was the cylinder.

since my last post i have been tinkering with it and it will start fine, no white smoke like i would expect from a blown ring.though the kick start is stiffer than it used to be.

Edited by - snorkelfork on Jul 25 2007 2:17:18 PM

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I tore a buddy's H2 apart one day many moons ago because I thought I blew it up, was a broken kickstarter spring.

You should be able to with someone's help lean it over on the sidestand to get the rear tire off the ground to roll the motor over with the plugs out.

04 KDX 200
01 GSXR 750
87 FZ 600 basket case
75 GT 550
68 Chevelle- trade for front motor digger

1 - 15 of 15 Posts