Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys -

Looks like you all have been having fun - I shouldn't let it go so long without checking in.

Who on here have I failed to get back to or failed to get stuff out to? I'm pretty sure someone here was wanting something from me but I can't for the life of me remember who. I apologize ahead of time to anyone I've accidentally blown off...

Like usual I can't come close to keeping up with the email I get and I'm terribly disorganized with the side biz, real life gets in the way etc etc.

Heading to the track this weekend - will be trying out some new stuff - Riddle's XR50 magneto setup for the 175 for one thing. 2" longer swingarm too. TimO tried both at the first race weekend and loved them. No batteries! I got mine installed but haven't tried to start it yet - running behind as usual.

Also trying out Heidenau tires - the front runners are going fast enough to give us problems with flats on the Bridgestones. Hard to give up the contingency $$ but I think the Heidenaus are going to be great for those going faster. I'll report back after the weekend.

Missed the great racing in Portland - right in my own damn back yard. Sometimes I miss the days of being young, unattached and having disposable income and time!

Bateman

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turns out I did fairly well - I took the overall win.

Third in the first race, second in the second race. They're olympic scored together. Tim O'Mahony finished 3-2, and Tom Deem finished 1-4. Mick Hart won the second race, but had a problem with one carb fouling on the warm up lap for the first race so came in and switched bikes, which put him out partway through the first lap. He didn't finish well in that race... We ended up with a 3-way tie for 1st place in the overall between Tim, Tom and myself, and the finishing order in the second race is used to determine the overall in the case of a tie. So it ended up me with the win, TimO second and Tom third.

We had some fantastic racing with good hard racing, lots of lead changes, close passing etc with no one crashing. Sunday morning practice was some of the best racing we had all weekend with a 4 way battle for the practice win. I don't even recall who won practice - but it was sure fun.

The XR50 Magneto works great. I didn't think about batteries the entire weekend. Loved it, and it seemed to make about the same power as before - I wasn't hurting for speed though Tom Deem's bike was rockin for sure - it's fast. He's still using the Pertronix ignition, but using "fuel" (oxygenated race gas - worth at least a half horsepower if not more on our bikes) where I'm sticking with pump gas 'cause I'm cheap and I hate having to drain the tank after the race and re-fill with pump gas and run again to clean out the carbs and get rid of the corrosive race gas crap.

Love the longer swingarm too - the bike was way more planted in the corners and combined with the Heidenau tires and 1" shock extensions it just felt great on turn-in and mid corner. And I didn't run into any corner clearance/ride height issues the whole weekend like I did with the shorter Brigestone tires.

The Heidenau's worked well also, though they're going to cause us to have to work on our front suspension a bit. Both Tim and I ran Heidenaus for the first time this weekend and we both had pretty significant front chatter at first with higher tire pressures (27 cold). We both had the front end step out a good 2' sideways several times in fast corners when pushing the corner speed up - which was somewhat exciting... :) They recovered well though - neither one of us ended up on the ground.

They're a bit heavier than the Bridgies (but still lighter than the Avons), and the sidewall is not as flexible as the Bridgestones (a good thing really, as that was what was causing the sidewalls to overheat and burn through the tubes giving us flats). But as the tire is part of the front suspension it's changed the overall front damping rate and we need a bit more rebound damping to accomodate. Dropping the front pressures down to 22psi cold made a huge difference - almost entirely getting rid of the chatter. I think with some oil weight changes it'll probably solve it entirely. Adding cartridge emulators to the forks would for sure solve it as would going to "real" forks like 35mm Cerianis, but we're Cheap Bastards. They're very grippy tires and I think we'll be able to make them work as well or better than the Bridgestones. A win with them on their first outing with no development at all beyond changing tire pressures is certainly a good sign.

I think that they'll end up being fantastic tires for anyone going fast enough to push the Bridgestones into the "flat zone." The cheaper Bridgestones are still highly recommended for those not pushing hard enough to get the "stripe of death" around the sides of the inner tubes. Grip with them is great, they slide really predictably and the light weight of them works well with the stock forks. If you're running hard enough to start to wear the inner tube or running out of ground clearance - I highly recommend you try out the Heidenau tires.

They get the Bateman Racing/Group W Racing "seal of approval" - highly recommended.

Two thumbs up for the Riddle Racing XR50 Magneto conversion too. A great alternate to the Pertronix/RC Airplane battery setup which is also highly recommended. It'll be interesting to run them back to back on the dyno - the Pertronix setup gives a <really> good fat high energy long duration spark when run at 16v on a Li-Poly battery, and the batteries weigh almost nothing. The Pertronix also works great on the fully stock bikes with stock batteries and even charging systems.

Bateman

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
turns out I don't

I'm still madder than hades you didn't weld up my intercooler and still can't double space

Congratulations on all that jumbled up stuff I didnt read and glad you're back so I can stop wimpering myself to sleep.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Welcome back, Michael. I was looking for some stuff from you, but I have meanwhile made what I needed most, e.g. starter motor block off plug, and am probably a better man for it (although my plug isn't as cool as yours). Is there a preferred access channel to get parts from you? I know the line tends to get long....

Meanwhile, the freebie information is much appreciated -- stay connected!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome! Unfortunately the preferred channel is patience and persistence...

Easiest is to show up at the track when I'm there.... :) Not possible for most of course.

Thanks for the welcome back!

Michael

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's it. Mike Riddle is one of the "California Contingent" 160/175 racers, a friend and fellow competitor and the guy who's developed them and is selling them. I have serial number one, though he's managed to sell about 65 systems before I got mine installed and raced with it. C'est La Vie - hazard of sending something to a slacker like me for testing.... :)

The magneto works great. I think I'll end up needing to rotate mine on it's backing plate a touch in order to get a bit more ignition advance - I've got it set as far advanced as the adjustment will allow right now and I think I'd like just a touch more for best speed. I'd at least like to try out a bit more advance and see if it's better. Clearly it's pretty close to right - I was able to win with it and kept up with guys significantly lighter than me (like 30 pounds lighter or more).

I'm using a 0.7 ohm Dyna coil with it. According to Riddle it works fine with coils from .5 ohm to 1.5 ohm. I don't think anyone's dyno'd coils back to back to see if one's better than the other, but they all seem to work quite well.

Spares are "dirt" cheap once you've got it installed.

Bateman

1 - 12 of 12 Posts