Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so about 2 years ago i rebuild the top end of my CB360. honed the cylinders. gave it new rings and new gaskets. the only gasket i could not find for it the is the one for the cylinder head. when i took it apart it had silicone on it so thats what i did but later on a shop owner said that i should have used a gasket and that one existed. i have searched high and low for this one gasket and can't find it anywhere. does anybody have any insite to this? does it really exist or did it only come for the factory built motor?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also it has a small oil leak coming from behind the points so i think the problem is the silicone seal.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
There are plenty of gasket sets for CB360 on ebay, not too expensive and will work better than silicon (which tends to get into oiling system and clock up passages)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I will check Ebay again but my experience is the sets come with everything but that head gasket set. I'm wondering if there is someone who makes them custome or a decent NOS parts seller.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
So you are serious you have run this bike without the "cylinder head gasket'?? And silicone??

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
Hopefully he was talking a "A" gasket on the cylinderhead not "THE" cylinderhead gasket.

I once bought a little honda 50cc engine that had an red RTV head "gasket". It ran .... not well. And the shit was all over the inside of the engine. Oil pickup screen almost completely clogged with it.
JohnnyB

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
Hopefully he was talking a "A" gasket on the cylinderhead not "THE" cylinderhead gasket.

I once bought a little honda 50cc engine that had an red RTV head "gasket". It ran .... not well. And the shit was all over the inside of the engine. Oil pickup screen almost completely clogged with it.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
87 Posts
The oil from behind the points might also be cam bearing-related. Search the site for CB360 cam bearing discussions, there's lots out there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The oil from behind the points might also be cam bearing-related. Search the site for CB360 cam bearing discussions, there's lots out there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
quote:Originally posted by jbranson

JohnnyB
I hope not otherwise i'm SOL. The bike had silicone when i took it apart so it would be long gone by now. Its not that it is a huge problem, it was a clean steady bead and wasn't wiped around like you sometimes see from someone who doesn't know what they are doing. i just want it to look that much better

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
quote:Originally posted by jbranson

JohnnyB
I hope not otherwise i'm SOL. The bike had silicone when i took it apart so it would be long gone by now. Its not that it is a huge problem, it was a clean steady bead and wasn't wiped around like you sometimes see from someone who doesn't know what they are doing. i just want it to look that much better

·
Registered
840 Posts
I've got a bike the came OEM with no head gasket. The factory used alum paint on the cyl and the head while tacky bolted the head on. Granted this was 1952 and a flat head with 6.25:1 compression....
If they call for a gasket find one! silcone sealer is deadly to 4 stroke motors and should be baned IMO. It's only good used is sealing 2 stroke trany case and even then only yama or hoda bond brands.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I've got a bike the came OEM with no head gasket. The factory used alum paint on the cyl and the head while tacky bolted the head on. Granted this was 1952 and a flat head with 6.25:1 compression....
If they call for a gasket find one! silcone sealer is deadly to 4 stroke motors and should be baned IMO. It's only good used is sealing 2 stroke trany case and even then only yama or hoda bond brands.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Loctite 518 is good in this situation, it's rated to be used by itself as a head gasket, and stays liquid if exposed to air and not pressed between two metal surfaces so it can't clog oil passages, etc. That said, if there IS a gasket available, use the gasket.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts