Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The bars are just a place holder for the pic. Plan is to run 1"d bends, bolted directly to the top clamp with an internal throttle and the cable obviously run thru the bars and out the bottom of the top-clamp. I still haven't milled a clutch handle for the tank shift yet but I think I'll be making the handle tie into the linkage arm a bit more visually anyway.
The pipes are completely photochopped but more or less what I'm looking at though there will be some form of muffling going on whether that be a damped crossover box under the swingarm pivot or just some inline 'glasspacks' or sporty takeoffs with the nice long fishtails. The rear wheel is also just a place holder, the final one will be a matched 19" 64 spoke to go with the 21" front.

I'm sticking with the carboard seat though! haha

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tony!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I like that linkage, in fact, I liked it the first time I saw it as well :D
I'm building something similar for my XS, made a brass lever (it's real heavy)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks PJ, I'm probably going to redo the handle to resemble the linkage a bit closer and have been thinking about a brass lever too...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's off a Wards/Benelli as stamped on the now missing front wings, I hacked them off after a brief and failed attempt to weld something to them. The sheet metal is really light, enough so that I'll be keeping a wary eye on it for cracks and such. I'm pretty sure it came from a little dirtbike or mini that wasn't expected to get much action. It's well made, just really light.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's off a Wards/Benelli as stamped on the now missing front wings, I hacked them off after a brief and failed attempt to weld something to them. The sheet metal is really light, enough so that I'll be keeping a wary eye on it for cracks and such. I'm pretty sure it came from a little dirtbike or mini that wasn't expected to get much action. It's well made, just really light.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Very nice. Such a subtle change overall, but what an impact!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Very nice. Such a subtle change overall, but what an impact!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
busapilot: Thank you! There really isn't much done here that's particularly difficult, just some parts swapping for the suspension xs650 up front and a CB360 swingarm out back though I'm turning bushings this evening to swap in the XS650 swinger as well. It's a couple inches longer which will give me the wheelbase stretch i want without being too cartoony. It'll also allow me to run a neat old pair of Koni adjustable shocks I've got sitting here waiting for something.

Tony: hah...they are completely fake at this point, 100% genuine photochop! But....I love'm on the right bike so this one will get a set!

Other changes likely will be centered around the seat frame. I like the way this one is shaping up but I think I want to do something a little more unique. I like the look of a minimalist solo seat but they look stupid as skinny jeans just plopped on top of flat rails.
I saw an Enfield bobber a while back that worked though. If you look at the picture, the first part of the seat rails are angled down toward the axle so I think I'll hack them off and run them down to the diagonals. I'll probably machine some nice looking steel shock mounting arms to weld in back there. That should allow me to mount a nice solo with springs and the whole bit, keep the shocks and lend a little something to it. I have three titled frames so it's not like I'll be out much if it sucks.

That's the plan as it stands now anyway......

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
busapilot: Thank you! There really isn't much done here that's particularly difficult, just some parts swapping for the suspension xs650 up front and a CB360 swingarm out back though I'm turning bushings this evening to swap in the XS650 swinger as well. It's a couple inches longer which will give me the wheelbase stretch i want without being too cartoony. It'll also allow me to run a neat old pair of Koni adjustable shocks I've got sitting here waiting for something.

Tony: hah...they are completely fake at this point, 100% genuine photochop! But....I love'm on the right bike so this one will get a set!

Other changes likely will be centered around the seat frame. I like the way this one is shaping up but I think I want to do something a little more unique. I like the look of a minimalist solo seat but they look stupid as skinny jeans just plopped on top of flat rails.
I saw an Enfield bobber a while back that worked though. If you look at the picture, the first part of the seat rails are angled down toward the axle so I think I'll hack them off and run them down to the diagonals. I'll probably machine some nice looking steel shock mounting arms to weld in back there. That should allow me to mount a nice solo with springs and the whole bit, keep the shocks and lend a little something to it. I have three titled frames so it's not like I'll be out much if it sucks.

That's the plan as it stands now anyway......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts