Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know any contemporary base models for a cafe racer? something w/ the standard triangle under the seat style frame etc.
yamaha ttr230's maybe? its seems like cheap offroad bikes are the only ones left w/ that style of frame.
whats the most contemporary cafe racer you have seen/built?
does a bike have to be street legal originally to register it for the road?

·
Registered
699 Posts
check out the triumph thruxton if you want a modern old school bike. they are pretty cool. you also might want to look into getting a dirt track racer frame. they have the shape you are wanting and you can mount just about anything to them with the right spacers. good luck in your search

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I'd make room in the barn for one of these:
www.triumphperformanceusa.com/?main_page=page&id=2

It's a decent platform for a cool project. Point is to have some fun, like put it on the salt (not in the new england sense). My beef w/ the thruxton is that it's kinda bulbous. For me cafe bikes are defined by parts that look like what they do. simple as that. cheers, bcr

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
hey triumph, time to move out of the 60s and build something with inverted forks.

jc

·
Registered
699 Posts
you guys wouldnt rock one of those thruxtons? i mean, they aren't my favorite bike ever, as i prefer to yell "stock sucks" and go my own way with a build of an old bike, but it is modern nastalgia. like the new mustangs or something.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Just like a Sportster, Thruxton looks like a motorcycle should. Tank, seat, wheels, motor. Nothing extra. Yeah, It bugs me that these retro bikes skimp on the technical goodies. That bike with inverted forks, twin discs, mono shock rear, and some real horsepower would be cool. Don't understand why Triumph can't put a full tune speed triple motor into that thing & keep the pretty spoke wheels.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
quote:Originally posted by joe c

hey triumph, time to move out of the 60s and build something with inverted forks.

jc
joe-

i'm awaiting delivery on this:

i still have my old '01 bonneville which was kinda cafe'd. i put 80K on the clock before i totaled it in '05, i loved that bike.

-tt

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
tt - those stripped triples are the balls, props to ya for stepping up to the mark, and yes I'm green w/ envy......'cept I just got a new bike today: a 1988 trackmaster w/ a KX125 in the hole. I'm racing this season woooohoooo
cheers, bcr

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
leo- the bike was at mototown, just like the one I was making a run at (but didn't get) off the vft.org site ( and thanks again for the back up). FR called and said "I'm looking at your bike". I said find the guy and set me up, phone numbers were swapped, calls made, tall tales told, real decent guy from upstate NY, deal done. Dude, you're gonna run framer around a dirt track this summer. Can not wait to mix it up. I'll post up some pics when I get them.
cheers, bcr

·
Registered
699 Posts
WAHOOO...another flattracker in here! i have a boss framed rotax 505 sitting in the garage. racing season is almost here! if you guys quit convincing me to build another cafe style bike, my next ride is going to be a triumph street triple. i am in love with that bike!!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
now that this thread is totally jacked, tyler, did you see the champion framed RD on the VFT.org classified?, you'll be a believer- sold it in about 20 min. good luck w/ the rotax this season. cheers, bcr

·
Registered
699 Posts
i didnt catch the RD on vft, in fact, i had never been to VFT until last week. if i can find a roller for cheap, i am going to put my other RD motor in it just to race it on the half miles. i think it would be fun to see what it can do out on the limestone! sorry about the thread jacking...LOL

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow i never meant for this to be an argument thread, basically i was thinking of making a cafe road racer styled bike for my neice. ( a bit of subversion as her parents don't let her ride her bicycle on the roads) in a few years she'll be old enough for a motorcycle permit.
old bikes are a little hard to find in these parts and it just seems to me a modern power plant. say off a ttr230 would save her some wrench time on her way to school.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts