Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Corey,
You generally can't race a retro in vintage. Plus that bike would not be competitive in any class it would fit in by displacement.

Ken

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Corey,
You generally can't race a retro in vintage. Plus that bike would not be competitive in any class it would fit in by displacement.

Ken

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Corey,
I don't think it could be made competitive in any class for which it would be eligible. It is a 250cc, air cooled, 2 valve, single overhead cam single. It will never compete with a 250 4 valve LQ DOHC single, and especially twin. Physics says no. If you want to go racing then find something different. I think your XS400 could compete in AHRMA lightweight vintage superbike.

Ken

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Corey,
I don't think it could be made competitive in any class for which it would be eligible. It is a 250cc, air cooled, 2 valve, single overhead cam single. It will never compete with a 250 4 valve LQ DOHC single, and especially twin. Physics says no. If you want to go racing then find something different. I think your XS400 could compete in AHRMA lightweight vintage superbike.

Ken

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
If it runs, it is not that far off. Tires, shocks and safety wire will get it on the track. You can improve the bike to match your skills as they improve. We used to have true production racing. We could change the tires and shocks. that was it. Then we started getting all fancy and adding steering dampers, stainless brake lines and aftermarket pads. It was crazy. Get it safely on the track.

Ken

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
If it runs, it is not that far off. Tires, shocks and safety wire will get it on the track. You can improve the bike to match your skills as they improve. We used to have true production racing. We could change the tires and shocks. that was it. Then we started getting all fancy and adding steering dampers, stainless brake lines and aftermarket pads. It was crazy. Get it safely on the track.

Ken

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the coils are certainly aged, it does run but not strong, and i need to finish the tailpiece so that it doesn't look ghetto. it has clip-ons, stainless brake lines lots of weight removed. (two totes worth actually, how do they fit all that $hit on there?) it has new progressive suspension and new avon roadriders. no safety wiring. and i twisted the speed bleeder off in the caliper. so no front brake at the moment. starters been removed, and the starter clutch off the crank, (i weighed it, and its was exactly 16oz removed from the flywheel.) the carbs aren't tuned terribly well because the weak spark. and it needs rear sets. and i am going to put a narrower tire on the rear. also i need a better way to strap the batter to the crossmember on the rear of the frame.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the coils are certainly aged, it does run but not strong, and i need to finish the tailpiece so that it doesn't look ghetto. it has clip-ons, stainless brake lines lots of weight removed. (two totes worth actually, how do they fit all that $hit on there?) it has new progressive suspension and new avon roadriders. no safety wiring. and i twisted the speed bleeder off in the caliper. so no front brake at the moment. starters been removed, and the starter clutch off the crank, (i weighed it, and its was exactly 16oz removed from the flywheel.) the carbs aren't tuned terribly well because the weak spark. and it needs rear sets. and i am going to put a narrower tire on the rear. also i need a better way to strap the batter to the crossmember on the rear of the frame.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts