Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a couple of customized SOHC 750s online with modern(ish) sport bike wheels and forks.

On Carpy's site, there are a couple (I've seen others, but none with any sort of info posted) One with Thundercat wheels and swingarm, with 2002 R1 forks... another with CBR600 forks swingarm and wheels.

has anyone pissed around with this? Can ayone shed any light on the conversions? Stem sizes? Fork tubes? Etc etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
The cbr600 f2 rear wheel has the same axle size as the cb750. From what I understand you can even use the stock F model swingarm but you will need to fab up a disc brake stay and custom spacers. No clue as to chain line but sprocket specalities can probably help you out with offeset sprockets.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I put inverted Gixxers on one off trees having a hidden stem

with RF900 wheels and disc rotors/sprocket carrier

six pots off something I cannot recall

8 years ago

on a Triumph Trident Rigid

it's sitting in my living room

all it takes is wanting to do it and some work

things like axle and stem diameters, or stuff just bolting up doesn't really bother me

if it's the right stuff, won't look like ass, and will work

just do it

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See... I'm not a weldor, fabrictor or machinist. I trade sweat equity for that stuff, usually leatherwork, or food (barbecue mostly). As for lookin like ass... don't care. If it works and is safe, I'm ok with it.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
The cb DOHC 750/900/1100 guys have figured out how to get a cbr600 f2 front wheel and brakes to work with their stock forks. I think it requires a bushing for the axle in the front and an adapter plate for the brakes.

to get that to work on a SOHC cb750 you will also need:

1977-78 F triple trees
1979-1980 cb750F 35mm forks

This and the above mentioned rear wheel are the only wasy I know how to do it with minimal fabrication. If you are willing to do a lot of trading and cooking this year you can press out the stem from your cb750 trees and have it pressed and welded into a 1990s sportbike front end. You will need one with a steel bottom tree (fzr600s and cbr600s from the 1990s have this).

If you want to spend stupid money on it you can have jmc make you a custom swingarm that will take any wheel and bolt into your chassis. Thsi swingarm will easily cost you well over $600 but you get it, you bolt it in, and you set up your rear. The is the throw money at it solution.

a word about tire sizes: unless you are going to a 16" rim and a low profile tire - the largest tire a cb750 frame will take is a 150 (and even then it is tight).

having done something similar on an h1 I can tell you this is not a budget kind of thing. Even if you score your parts cheap this kind of custom work will nickle and dime you like nobody's business.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah... swapping stems is the way I'm looking to go. I have a very close circle of very talented friends. If I can find something with compatible bearings, I'll be happy. I'd like to swap the entire front end.. no point in great wheels and brakes with shitty forks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just the question I wanted to hear an answer to. I can get a complete f3 front end tire to clip-ons for 200$. From what I know the only thing that would be a problem is the neck. Know if they are the same size on 750 dohcs?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
on the DOHC cbr front end... yes the stems are DIFFERENT and will not swap. Also I believe the axle diameter is different.

In doing a cbr 600 front wheel and brakes on STOCK forks, the cb1100f.net guys originally addressed this with custom bushings but I belive they now have figured out a different wheel bearing size that makes this a bolt on.

using the stem swap method you can put pretty much anything on anything but becareful, not all bottom clamps are steel.

search around the cb1100f.net forums and ask ray over there (fasterspider). He can give you the skinny but there should be a coupel of posts with pics.

this is a lot closer to what you are doing:
http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=25002&highlight=cbr+wheel+swap

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I have put different front ends on four different ways.
1. straight bolt on mixing and matching bearings
2. swapping out steering stems
3. shortening the new steering stem so it matches the old one in length and bearing spacing and then mixing and matching bearings
4. reaming out the stock triple clamps to fit the new larger fork tubes.

They all work and none of them are terribly expensive to have done. I just did #3 to put the Interceptor 750 front end on the XL500 frame. It cost me $30 cash at the local machine shop with overnight turn around. Not even a special deal since it is the first thing I have ever had them do. Won't be the last. As far as wheel bearings and axle size goes, usually a swap of wheel bearings between the 2 wheels are all it takes along with some axle spacers.
Right now in my garage my CB 350 has XL350 forks method 4, XJ550 has FZ600 forks method 3 and the XL500 has VF700F forks method 3. The cb350 has the stock front wheel, the XJ550 has an XV550 front wheel and the XL500 has a CBR600F1 front wheel. Minimal machine work in all of them.I have one CB350 with RD 350 forks method 2 and FT500 with VF500 forks method 1. It helps to have a box of bearings and such to try out to see what works. I have plenty of wheels sitting around with no bearings in them, I save all axle spacers and have a bin of loose balls and cups and races from every front end I have ever taken off. Seriously, start collecting and keeping that kind of junk if yo want to make these kinds of thing work easier.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
That would be method #4

Ken

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
That would be method #4

Ken

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new to the site and also new to hondas. but i am also looking to do some sort of wheel/fork swap for my 1980 cb750. i want to go to a 16" rear and thinking a 17" front and maybe a little wider. should i be looking at modern sport bike forks and wheels?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I'm new to the site and also new to hondas. but i am also looking to do some sort of wheel/fork swap for my 1980 cb750. i want to go to a 16" rear and thinking a 17" front and maybe a little wider. should i be looking at modern sport bike forks and wheels?
9 year old thread.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
9 year old thread.
Yet some of us are still here.

Post #9 is still good info.

How about you give us some info so we can give you informed guesses?
What model CB750 do you have K, C or F?
Why would you pick a 17 front and a 16 rear for wheel sizes?
Do you want mag, comstar or spoked wheels?
What is your intended use for the bike?
What tires are you thinking about putting on it?
What are you going to do for brakes and suspension?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts