Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many guys here ride modern sportbikes? I am looking into getting something to replace my 500r in the near future, so I would be interested to hear what you guys are riding and how you like it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
I had a 05 ZX10R new. loved it.....then became a statistic

Kinda thinking about a newer bike to have something modern. I say i want an adventure bike....but litter bikes are so freaking fast....lol

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I rode a friends '12 GSX-R600, and it was stupid fast lol I definitely don't want anything bigger than a supersport.
I'm considering the Triumph Daytona 675, it has to be one of the sexiest bikes around, and not just the looks. I'm just waiting until I get a chance to ride one.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Love the 675, WAY better street bike then the other 600s
I hate the 600s....way to many revs for the street

Why not a standard like the cb1000r, monster, speed triple ect?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I used to only run modern sport bikes before moving east to urban hell. No place to ride them where I live but plenty of cars to stuff them into. I am working on getting a reasonably modern Dual Sport 600 for general commuting on if I was not going that route I think I would get a 2000s ZRX or 11oo Bandit or the likes where you can sit up and ride to the next intersection stop point. The beauty to the DS is I know some good traffic hour short cuts the DS can do which I would not use with a street bike.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive never ridden a street triple, but I'm just not a huge fan of the way they look. While they aren't ugly, they just don't excite me. Also, since I am an under 25 year old male, insurance on a litre bike would be completely outrageous. It is bad enough for a supersport. A monster would be cool, but there is no Ducati dealer near me for servicing, not to mention it is a bit out of my price range.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 500r sits fairly upright, and where I live there are tons of awesome roads loaded with curves and hills, so the ninja just doesnt feel right going around a bend with any kind of speed. Alot of this is the bikes fault, the 500's are severely undersprung.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im looking at bikes for around $4-6k used. SV650's are nice, but it wouldn't be as much of a power bump as I'm looking for.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are fine bikes, but it would be too similar to the 500r. Yeah I'm pretty much looking at I4's or I3's like the Daytona.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sure it is much more advanced, the ninja didn't receive any major updates during its entire production run. They just straight up replaced it with the Ninja 650r. That R6 looks pretty nice, thats pretty much what I'm looking for. Yeah the roads here are pretty amazing, you dont have to go very far to find a good one.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
I have a 2006 duc sport 1000. If not for the plastic tank issue I would say I love the bike but as it stands I will NEVER buy another new Ducati ever.

That being said I have a new found love of big twins. Unless it has to be a "newish" late model bike I would seriously consider a 1991-1998 900 supersport or a Tonti framed guzzi or even a buell lightning.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I'm a little leery of ducatis just because of the high cost for parts/maintenance etc. I'm definitely getting something with FI, just because of better performance, fuel mileage and less maintenance. My plan, if I can swing it, is to try and keep the ninja for daily commuting and get something else for weekend riding and the possibility of going to track days. I was really looking for someone with seat time on a specific bike that fits what I'm looking for. Most people I've dealt with, including new dealerships, aren't too keen on test rides, understandably, so its hard to really have an opinion on any particular bike over another.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
GSXR 600s are great sport bikes that can go much faster than is sane on the road, long distance can be done "at a fast pace" but i once rode the CA coast from Fort Brag to LA "too long" and I could not walk for days after the trip and never wanted to get on it again. Half the trip would have been fine in one stint, total was like 600 miles

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nic- I dont plan on taking it on many trips, I would more likely use the ninja for that since it is at least reasonably comfortable. The GSXR I rode was a blast, and yes it is ridiculously fast for public roads, but then again, so are most bikes. The ninja even accelerates faster most cars.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts