Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, Hi to all as I'm new on here. My name is Mark and I live in Liverpool (UK), I have built bikes for a long time ranging from standard restorations to hybrids or specials but lately seem to be drawn to caferacers (maybe an age thing??). With a house move coming up and 2 half built projects in the garage and lots of special parts I decided it was time to have a clear out, sell it on so I don't have to take it with me to the new place. The 3 main reasons for doing this are :- The new place is a wreck so finding time to build complete bikes from the ground up will be tough, it will free up some cash and finally I can use some of the new found funds to buy a running project that is both inexpensive and usable. It didn't take long to find a suitable bike.
In fact I'd already found it before selling anything but as I tend to only keep really nice bits in less than a week I had made £760. The asking price was £800 but I offered £750 and the seller accepted! So I now have a Triumph 1200 Daytona, mechanically standard with 145 HP on tap[:0] but minus its fairing. It has a streetfighter nose cone and I have a buyer for that already, the short term plan is to fit a single round headlight and over the winter fit a ducati 750ss fairing and maybe some spoked wheels (time permiting). Here it is, let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Mark...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Cool bike, good price. I don't think I could find a daytona 1200, even an early one for $1500...

I have a soft-spot for UK-style street fighters. I don't see many around LA, but they're cool.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Hello Liverpool and welcome to CRN....

neat bike, those are really fast

the angle of that photograph makes it look like a household appliance

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Philos1, Steven Gerrard would only approve if it had a Bentley badge on it ;)

HackAsaw, you must have an interesting home :) it is a pig ugly contraption though!

Mark...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Oh man, I loved my 1200! I have a Daytona SuperIII now because the 12 kept lunching gear boxes.
I'd really like to find another one and give it another chance...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This had a stater gear problem and the parts to repair cost about £300. A mate of mine fitted them and after about 6 starts it broke 2 teeth!! turned out the dealer had supplied the wrong parts as there are 2 variants of gear. They refused to refund even though they asked for the frame number before the order was taken, so he had to pay again! The only saving grace is its all done through the removable cover under the carbs unlike the later ones that need to have the crank cases split. The superIII makes about the same power as the 1200 doesn't it?

Mark...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I've got a Sebring Ti 3-1 and a set of FCR39 flatslides with pods, up-rated Cosworth cams and high compression pistons on it plus some port work, last time it was up on the rolling road it pulled [email protected] which is nice but it definitely lacks the gear rupturing torque of it's big brother. I've done a bit here and there to shed some weight but haven't decided how far I want to take that part. I'm not much of a "Collector" (must be spoken with a smug Oxford accent) so I may just tear into it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The radiator cover will be put back to black to be less obtrusive. Shedding weight will be my intention too, some lighter exhausts would be a good start and maybe fit some Astralite wheels as I have some already and they are the right size 3 1/2" front & 5 1/2" rear.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not what I had in mind but it was cheap, better than the scooter thing and will do for now:-

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I hate the new fairing, god only knows what I was thinking but that's ebay for you. It is better than the contraption that it had when I bought it and keeps the wind blast @ 100mph to an acceptable level, so for now at least it can stay. It is a real big heavy bike so I started to look at easy ways to shed some weight. First up was the exhaust, maybe swap for a 4 into 2 into 1 but I like the balanced look of 2 pipes. I removed one can to see just how heavy it really is and was astonished to find that each end can (muffler) weighs in at 12 1/4 lb!! and it has 2 so that's 24 1/2 lb of dead weight. I started looking for suitable retro looking replacements and found some used M4 megaphone's made for a Hayabusa at a good price :) with very little effort they will fit like a glove. Here is a picture of one loosely bolted up, let me know what you think.

Mark...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I hate the new fairing, god only knows what I was thinking but that's ebay for you. It is better than the contraption that it had when I bought it and keeps the wind blast @ 100mph to an acceptable level, so for now at least it can stay. It is a real big heavy bike so I started to look at easy ways to shed some weight. First up was the exhaust, maybe swap for a 4 into 2 into 1 but I like the balanced look of 2 pipes. I removed one can to see just how heavy it really is and was astonished to find that each end can (muffler) weighs in at 12 1/4 lb!! and it has 2 so that's 24 1/2 lb of dead weight. I started looking for suitable retro looking replacements and found some used M4 megaphone's made for a Hayabusa at a good price :) with very little effort they will fit like a glove. Here is a picture of one loosely bolted up, let me know what you think.

Mark...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
COOL!!!!! I can say with absolute certainty that there's a lot of weight to be shed in the seat/cowl area. My SuperIII will lose proximately 20 pounds by ditching the seat/cowl/subframe and associated bits and replacing it with a fabricated aluminum subframe and in my case a 'glass Ducati 748 seat. The whole exhaust is heavy (typical 90's Hinckley overbuild), there's several pounds there that can be shaved off, more if you score one of the old Skorpion Titanium sets.
Your already ahead of the game by not having that massively heavy OEM fairing.
Want to get crazy? Two words....Forged Wheels. The stock hoops are fairly heavy for 17" sportbike wheels.

If I can ever get the time to finish the silly thing my SuperIII should be ready to ride at a hair under 340lbs! But......I'd give in on a few pounds to run a fairing like you have there.....me likes!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I may loose the seat later on, check out the wheels further back in this thread. The gold astralites are nice & light but I love spoked wheels, any pictures of your bike?

Mark...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Well shit....let me find out what's wrong with the pics on this end....

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
heh....email me thru the boards here and I'll send you some snaps.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts