Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
not in this country (USA). Actually I can't remember the last yamaha sporting twin produced after the xs/xt series - can you?

before you go throwing around the SR, remember that the SR is a single with an exhaust pipe for each exhaust valve. The SR is still made but is a japan only bike.

come to think of it who realy has a sporting twin out there these days?

Kawasaki:
ex250 and ex500
Ninja 650

Suzuki:
sv650 and sv1000
GS500F

Ducati

Triumph
Bonneville (does this really count as sporting?)

and that is about it for mainstream marques. Sure there are other smaller companies but really - does yamaha need to enter this market when the 4 cylinder sportbikes sell so well?

·
Registered
699 Posts
word came from my buddy that works at harley that harley is trying to aquire MV Agusta....i can't imagine why since they already have buell (another manufacturer of sport twins) but i'm sure they have a good reason...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Most have already seen this but I find this pretty exciting.

XS-V1 Sakura Prototype

"It will be officially presented at the Tokyo motorcycle show (from Oct. 27 to Nov. 11). In the "revival" style, Yamaha shows us a cafe racer pôwered by a good looking V-Twin engine, this is a prototype (not a concept) so it can be released soon...

In the image of Yamaha’s first 4-stroke model, the XS-1 (650cc), released in 1970. Its design is full of XS-1 DNA, in its simplicity and functional beauty and finds new refinement in a retro-modern aesthetic. It is a model that proposes a very Yamaha and very Japanese vision of premium motorcycling life, bringing together the unique characteristics of a 1,000cc air-cooled, V-twin model with its strong pulse feeling and easy-going running performance in a finely crafted body that is lightweight and slim and defined by a low seat height."
Joe

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
oh yeah we had a good time making fun of that bike the last time those pics came around....

the powder puff cafe racer....

that shit needs to be black yo.....or just something other than pink...

that brown seat is hawt.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
doubt it'd ever be released in the US. there a lot of little bikes like that in yamahas other markets, that would probably do well over here now that the gas prices have gone up. those damn ex250's are out of control.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i get harassed about them 20 times a day as a kawasaki dealer. people downright demanding them, and getting pissy because we don't have one. however i can sell those little dudes to the highest bidder. $$$

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
great....h-d wants to screw up another great italian manufacturer!

tex

·
Registered
204 Posts
oh yeah..aermacchi. i would assume that HD is more concerned with their profit margins as opposed to their research and development. Harleys have not been selling to hot in this particular economic slowdown. there will always be people waiting to buy the newest $40,000 MV.

·
Registered
699 Posts
all i have to say is that harley better be happy that it cornered the doctor and lawyer crowd. they want new bikes and they don't want to work on it themselves. they also want to buy a lot of motor clothes! i wouldn't be surprised if harley used the MV factories (if acquired) to produce harley's overseas, they are having a TERRIBLE time with their labor here in the states

·
Registered
216 Posts
From what I understand as well, the Harley market is slowing down more and more as most of the people who are buying Harleys are the baby boomers, and they are beginning to saturate that market. The younger generations buy Harleys, but not nearly on the scale of the baby boomers.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Well, not a surprise there -

First, new, they're freaking expensive as hell. Second, everybody and their mother (literally, now!) is getting in on the "hardcore biker" action. People want to be "different" and stand out, getting harder to do that now. Third, they're freaking heavy as hell. Lastly, the market is totally saturated - look on craigslist - there's literally dozens of harleys that people can't get rid of. I've seen this one harley (a '74 I think) that's been for sale for over a year with no takers. People want far more money for them than they're worth, and they're not getting the resale out of them that they thought they would.

There was a CL harley ad for what was a barn bike - rusty, didn't run, no title - $3000 bucks. The ad was there for weeks and weeks before the guy finally radically dropped his price. Why the hell would people want to pay that kind of money for a heap when you can get a nice running machine for half that?

The Harley market is a bubble and is doomed to collapse, in my opinion. It's a shame, and I hope it doesn't kill Harley, but I think a crash is coming.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
harley merchandising may be all thats left of them eventually, a lot of skateboard companies go totally aparral eventually when style overruns actual product. do you really need a harley leather jacket to drive your k car to wal-mart? i guess you do. i refused to take my dads old leather jacket until i actually got a bike.

a company can't survive on people selling their used bikes, even if they are overpriced. what harley needs to do is branch out. aren't they the only american motorcycle company??? why are they so fused keeping it traditional. they'd likely sputter some in a transition but as long as they made a good product, not just relied on that they are harley. it could work out. i think a lot of harley riders are trashy, (its just the image thing) and currently wouldn't want to be associated with that cruiser crowd... but if they made an inline four superbike that actually had performance and was priced competetively, why couldn't it work? i'd buy a harley enduro if it were quality, and not just some stylized image of what can we do with a v-twin.

the american name thing really dried up for the american car companies, and its doing the same to harley. you can be american all you want but if your products shit or lacks innovation people will move on. i guess

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
quote:Originally posted by coreyjdl
...aren't they the only american motorcycle company???

... but if they made an inline four superbike that actually had performance and was priced competetively, why couldn't it work? i'd buy a harley enduro if it were quality, and not just some stylized image of what can we do with a v-twin.
No they aren't the only American motorcycle conmpany. There's Victory too.

The chances of Harley (or Victory, or Ducati, or Moto Guzzi, etc) building an inline four that is competitive with the Japanese on both cost and performance is zero. Even if Harley wanted too, they couldn't afford to develop a competitive four cylinder bike. There's no reason to believe the people that work there now could do it. If they somehow DID develop something that had the same performance, it would be more expensive. (As an aside, I was really hoping the VR1000 would be built in a street version for the US. If it cost about the same as a Ducati I'd probably own one)

None of this is to say I don't like Harleys. I do! But.. they're never going to compete with the Japanese in the sportbike segment, certainly not with an inline four of their own design anyway.

As for a sporting twin... now THAT'S what I wish Harely would build. Take a Buell engine (the sportster based one) and build a bike akin to the Ducati Sport Classics. Spoked wheels, vintage style, upmarket brakes and suspension - hell yeah. No need to go after the 1098 or any of that stuff, they're too much bike for the street anyway. (And before anyone gets on my case about how great a Ducati superbike is, yeah, I know. I've got a 996 I bought brand new. It's the worst street bike I've ever owned and is a big reason I got into vintage bikes. The 996 was overkill for a street rider and the current bikes are even more so)

FWIW - that's the bike I really want to build, a modernized Sportster. Playing around with ideas for it led me to this site to begin with. I'm quite sure there's a REALLY cool bike in there somewhere...

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
As for a sporting twin... now THAT'S what I wish Harely would build. Take a Buell engine (the sportster based one) and build a bike akin to the Ducati Sport Classics. Spoked wheels, vintage style, upmarket brakes and suspension - hell yeah. No need to go after the 1098 or any of that stuff, they're too much bike for the street anyway........

isn't that what kenny dreer did with norton?

tex

·
Registered
43 Posts

I've been trying to convince my wife for awhile now she needs one of these. Yamaha SRV 250 Renaiasa. Pretty cool little bikes and there are 2 just like this one for sale close to my home in Hiroshima. Kind of looks like that XS-V1 but not as gay.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Just about as basic as one can get with a MC. Note the drum brakes on the back and the low bars and set back foot controls. It is a cute little bugger. Make that a 750cc and it would sell like crazy here in the states..

·
Registered
204 Posts
Poor Kenny. Those were gonna be cool. the new Motorcyclist cover bike is the euro only (for now) XR replica sportster w/ inverted forks revised intake and oil cooled heads probably pretty similar to the Buell design. Yeah the chances of HD going road racing any time soon is slim to none. MV would just be another feather in its cap, with no crossover between the two companies. You gotta diversify your portfolio these days, like they say on TV.
Anyways that is a cool yamaha twin. Japan has lots of cool stuff that we will never see. Has anyone seen the RZ 50's. now those are cool.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
quote: Yeah the chances of HD going road racing any time soon is slim to none.

Dunno, the new 1125 seems to be pretty hot. A little homely but apparently quite a beast on the track...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts