Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody considered rigging up a monoshock rear suspension on an old Honda bike? I've been thinking about it and I feel like it could be interesting to try so long as I did my research and didnt mickey mouse it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It would be hard to pull off. The bracing required should be done with a lot of care. I have a formula at work that I think is applicable to the monoshock and can help you with the math portion. It is like the lever system used to actuate the dampers in the rear of my car, only much less complicated. All sorts of stuff come into play like swing arm length, damper mounting angle, damper pick up location.

--Chris

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
depends which bike? I have seen a lot of japanese guys do it in japan with everything from a cb350 to a cb750. There are several kawasaki h1 triples I know if in england and a few here in the states that have had monoshock conversions.

a good starting point would be figuring how far do you want to go? usually guys who do this conversion start with a modern sportbike rear end and adapt it to get the weight savings, modern rims, and modern brakes.

If you are working with a cb750, you may want to start with a cbr600f2 rear swingarm as you could use either your stock rear rim or the cbr600's. copy the suspension geometry onto the cb750 frame when welding in the upper mount and you will be able to use the stock links and stuff. I don't think any of those garbage-y 1970's dual shock swingers are up to the task of being converted to mono.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im also bussy with a monoshock conversion on a Suzuki gs1100s katana. Have everything in front and rear but have to mount the monoshock now im not sure what is the tech specs theat I need to follow if someone can assist please.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
ok, what donor bike are you using for the shock? swingarm? etc.....

Ideally you want to mount the shock at the same angle it was in when it was on the donor bike. This means you may have to go measure it on an assembled version of the donor bike. At the very least this means you won't need to revalve the shock and have it resprung due to a change in angle (and therefore a change in leverage - you may still have to have it resprung for your weight).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am doing a 1983 Suzuki katana 1100s with donor bike Yamaha thundercat, i used the complete front and rear suspension and just need to mount the monoshock to the frame. seems its going to be a headache. if you could be of assistance to tell me the procedure the fit the monoshock. thanx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts