Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NYC or NE moped guys, I know there are some out there. If you know anyone interested in a Complete running Batavus VA, 1976, send them my way. New tires/tubes (not on yet), new belt and carb cleaned. Seems to run good. Has nice Patina. I am not sure what it is worth, but I know what I have in it, maybe you can guide me a bit.

Also a Puch Magnum Project. Probably will be running next week after the points come in and I get them installed.

I checked into it and NY does not need titles for these "special use vehicles".

While these would be great for running around a city, they are useless where I live in the country.

If there is interest I will post pics tomorrow. Bikes are 3 1/2 hours north of NYC. I could bring them somewhere North of the GWB for gas money.

Thanks,
jack

·
Registered
325 Posts
Jack, I usually would...but I'm trying to get rid of a bunch of bikes and random projects of my own right now. Get some pictures here and I'll direct some people towards you.

If anything, we can do some consignment deal maybe at my gang's moped shop.

Larry -

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tex,

Which one may you be interested in?

Personally I think the Puch has much more potential as a fun, hopped up ride. I was thinking $400 for it, but special Tex price email me. I have a muffler and aircleaner coming for it. Will at least need a seat cover ($25), a rear brake cable ($8), two brake levers (not sure $, seems like any Magura moped levers are OK), the footboards, which I have on hold now ($25), and two tires ($20-$100 depending on what you want).

I took the tank off today to see how it would go on my C110 racer, and it looked great. At that time I noticed lots of loose scale in the tank. It is solid and should be OK after a bunch of screws get shaken around in it for a while.

There was a thread just a bit back (Larry Bones to the White Phone please) with a quick pic of it.

Once I get the new tires on, the '76 Batavus VA should pretty much be gas and go. I ran it for a bit today and it ran well. I need around $400 for that one. I think it would sell for $5-600 in the spring if I took it up to Portland.

Jack

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
If I knew for sure I would be in Brooklyn for the summer I would be on the hunt for a cheap puch

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's just what you need! You could use it to run around Potsdam too. Heck if you decided you didn't want it you could sell it to some NYC hipster and double your money.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
I still think they are ghey and that some....take them way to seriously.
But for running around in williamsburg for the summer it might be my best bet for cheap and durable

·
Registered
325 Posts
So...whats the idea then?

Buy the Magnum from Jack...keep it at my house. Drive in from Long Island and we ride to work in the morning? Cause even I will say that it's a little faygo if we roll up to the office both on Puch Magnums.

Get it though, I can make it fast.
Cause you can't ride a stock Magnum...it won't go more than 15-20mph with you on it. I say...I have a extra 72cc Athena AJH kit, 70cc high-comp head, 24mm Mikuni Flatslide and just go out and buy a Circuit pipe for the low and mid range that you'll need...and we can make it go fast. Just make sure the engine is a 2-speed ZA50 and not a e50 single. Your ass will go nowhere with the single speed. But...alas, if Jack's comes with a single speed, I have 2 za50's sitting under my shelf at the garage.

Cause theres no chance in hell you can ride it from Bay Shore to Williamsburg.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm just thinking...if the engine is the original engine on Jack's Magnum, it should be a 2-speed automatic ZA50. The rest of the bike is a original silver MKII magnum with snowflake Grimeca mags. I would switch to spokes though...you can't buy the brake pads for the snowflakes as easily anymore...or, just do what I did and put a disc brake on the front and it's plenty of stopping power.

·
Registered
325 Posts
quote:Originally posted by LarryBones

I'm just thinking...if the engine is the original engine on Jack's Magnum, it should be a 2-speed automatic ZA50. The rest of the bike is a original silver MKII magnum with snowflake Grimeca mags. I would switch to spokes though...you can't buy the brake pads for the snowflakes as easily anymore...or, just do what I did and put a disc brake on the front and it's plenty of stopping power.

You know you want to ride around and have fun on something that can end up like this.

Jack, sorry for trolling. I just need to get Will to appreciate the fun of a stupid small bike for city commuting.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
No i would never think about riding from bay shore to BK.

thought it would be fun to have a beater bike in the city.
Im not moving in with you for the summer? if not maybe kerry, mike or shilo need a live in nanny?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I'd ride that for sure, but then again, I'm totally ghey, so...

If I wasn't trying to get rid of stuff I'd buy it and ride back and forth to work. My goal is one car and one bike by the end of May.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thats from the Hell's Satan's rally down in Richmond.

I guess it should be known here that I am in the NY chapter gang of MopedArmy...branch Mission23.

In fact...it's our year to host the NY rally in which people come from all over the country. We haven't set a hard date yet, but it's going to be at the end of July.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Larry,

It's a ZA50 motor.

You don't think the Batavus would be better for Jag? I am not sure which one is Gheyer, not that there is anything wrong with that.

On another note, do you have any take off stuff from that CB160 you picked up from Gene?

Jack

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
quote:Originally posted by texmawby

jack, i sent you an email. cheers, tex
Tex,

I didn't get it. Did you use the Caferacer email system? That seems to be like 3rd world mail--you never know if it got thru.

jackcole138 two zero at yahoo will get to me.

Jack

1 - 20 of 31 Posts