Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know for sure if CB450t pistons be fitted to a CB500t?
Seems like that would be the case since the motors are supposed to be the same exept for the 500's longer stroke, both share the same 70mm bore.

The reason I ask is I found a few sets of overbore pistons, rings and wrist pins for a pretty decent deal. One 73mm set would bump my 500 to 542ccs and a bump to 9 to 1 compression from the stock 8.6 to 1.
The 74mm set bumps it up to a whopping 557ccs and an equally whopping 11 to 1 compression!

I've been offered really good prices on both sets, and in concert with the porting I'm doing tonight (yes I've already ripped the poor bugger apart!), a free flowing exhaust and my new 34mm flatslides...I think this rig should rip right along. I'm also looking into a cam set from Megacycle which may be a good idea especially if I raise the compression.

One more....does anyone know if the OEM cam profiles are different between the 450 and the 500?

Thanks agian for all the help, this is a good group!

Lead, follow or get out of the way!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm pretty sure the deck height is different. You might have to measure to make sure.

I ordered a set of the ebay big bore pistons and they appear to be really heavy for what they are.

The cams are the same between cb450/500t - the pn is 14120-292-013 for exhaust and 14110-292-670 for intake.

How are your stockers? Mine are all scored up so I'm going with Megacycle out of necessity.

You will have better luck if you ask these questions over at www.cb450dohc.com.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks, I'll check it out!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked to Team Hansen and was able to find out that it can be done. You need a shim between the cylinders and the crank case. The cam chain also needs to be long enough but I'd bet that with a little tweaking done to the tensioner it could be done. Looks like I'm gonna have a cb550T....cool!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank guys, you rawk!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts