Cafe Racer Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
The bolts are 8/32, which means no drilling of the holes. I'm going to start by taking 5 disks out which will bring it back to 9 like you calculated (8.7). I'm pretty sure the 3inch series all have the ridge but I could be wrong. I've never seen them with out. They are 2inch exhaust springs that I bought out a small motorcycle shaop of them today. I don't think there hard to get a hold of but he gave me a deal on 20 of them so, I took it. The stack is of brand new Bonnville rear fenders from whats looks like from 1964 to 1970. I was pretty sure that you were going to ask me about the closed end cap.

Aaron

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
You told me you were going to make it out of a disk...I figured that's what you did.

Sometime before next year I'm going to make a couple of ultra trick end caps out of 1/2 aluminum, milled down in the center with recesses for the socket heads. .... if you know anyone that might want one. Not really cost effective to sell, but cool to have. Course they would be hard to safety wire like that...so maybe not.

I've also got a stack of 3" mounting plates with the holes drilled too large, they would make good end plates with the center hole welded up...a bit heavier that they need to be.

Did you see the aluminum ingots I poured up, I posted pics on the skulls list. Very cool to do, can't wait to figure out some way to use it. Maybe tricky rear set pieces or something.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
I have not seen the aluminum ingots. I'm not really on the skulls group. I only view once in a while. The end cap is just a disk with a small steel disk silver soldiered in to the middle of it.

Show me the ingots.

Aaron

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I just want to say how exceptional it is that so much advice/help and hard earned knowledge is offered up to everyone here. Most racers aren't going to tell the people they grid up with all the right stuff and make it that much harder once the flag drops.
I'm not trying to redirect the thread, this seems the most appropriate place to say this.
Thanks
bfd

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
See the Beautiful Ingots..

Just melted some 6061 in a steel ladle and poured it into some round steel objects sitting on my anvil.

Second photo shows the bottom of one I machined to check quality...very good, machines better than the raw stock did. Ugly piece is the slag that was left over in the ladle.

JohnnyB

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
Bill,
If prize money was at stake I wouldn't give you homos the time of day :).

As it is, you give, you get. I like to get answers to my questions too so it's information barter. I've yet to find anyone in the group of 200gp racers that won't give up information to me when I ask. Sure most of us want an edge, but most of us want to see everyone run well too.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
I like your ingots. I'd like to try and make rear sets with that but I don't have any rear set shaped anvils. What are your plans for it or was this an engineering exercise? If you want some exhaust springs I have a few to spare. I had some things I wanted to discuss but I'm all zooted up on Vicodin and I'm having problems staying focused. So now I'm going to run one off over my Terminator exhaust system.

Aaron

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
Aaron,
Thanks for throwing your bro a few meds .... oh yeah...you didn't :(

Whatcha taking it for? Are you in pain? Or just having fun.

The ingots were like you say, an engineering experiment. Next step is to make a basic one sided mold in plaster of paris and try to actually cast a shape of some sort.

My Anvil doesn't have shapes in it... I sat things on TOP of my anvil that were circular in nature...like old bearing races...or a cylinder sleeve. Next I'll try hearts, and moons, and clovers.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Well normally I don't like perscription drugs but I had 3 wisdom teeth out today and my face hurts pretty bad. One of my teeth was impacted, they used some type of wiz wheel or drill and now my face is shaped like a football on one side from the swelling. I do have a bunch or different meds that I was going to send you for Christmas, but I need to see how much of what I have right now that I'll need.

Aaron

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Scott, They were very tiny little wisdon teeth.

Branson, I still have all kinds of other stuff from previous accidents and illnesses. I have hard time with perscription stuff and never finish any of them. Plus just so everyone knows JD is getting back suergery tomorrow and we'll take his meds as well.

Aaron
Oh yeah, JD's back problems are cause by strain from head weight.

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
Seriously...good luck on the surgery JD. Hope everything goes well.

And don't feel bad if you cry for no reason when you wake up... happened to me a couple of times.

Ok..enough with the homo talk...back to 175's.

JohnnyB

81 - 93 of 93 Posts