Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow what a fun time. Great seeing all the USCRA smiling faces and participating in the festivities. The VRRA crowd were great hosts and put on a super event. TONS of spectators. The track is so huge and spread out with elevation changes. Moss's was fun. A total table-top corner. Picture the bowl flipped inside out and you'll get the idea..... Had fun chasing Midge, battlin' with Jeff Marcoux(JAM614) on Ozzie Auer's BMW 500 from Calif. A bike Jeff had never ridden at all before....though I think Jersey gets the rookie award for doing sidecar duty with no practice. OMG!!! [:p] Just a wonderful weekend with some bike issues thrown in to make it fun. Always bring more than 1 vintage race bike if you can :D
Happy Tuesday
Junkyard
(Jon Sutton #566)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Wow! What a weekend!
Great seeing all of the regular USCRA travellers under a perfect stretch of weather. Even beter being on track with some of them in mixed classes. Midge is fast. Got to follow him around some. Caferacer crew represented!!! Met fellow board member Bandit. Great meeting you man. Same for Chris Marshall.

The DP Motorsports, Ozzie BMW and Barrington Motor Works was represented well too and had a great lineup of BMWs including two Rennsport sidecars; #3 and #8 of 25 of these factory motors. Plans were made to break in the 1939 R51 Pre-war bike but a throttle cable snapped so the bike was static displayed only.

As echoed by others Jon and I each suffered bike issues. Maybe it was the heat? One of his rides had an oil issue that parked the bike for the weekend. One of my rides (the 500 BMW) suffered from a sticking slide and a clutch failure partially due in part to a frayed cable and a super high tall first gear making launches hard on said clutch. Managed only one lap on Saturday. Sunday's practice was no better and I got to meet Bandit again on the lovely ride back to the pits on the wreck sweep trailer.

My Open GP race on my 750 BMW on Saturday went well finishing 3rd in my class and mostly getting in the way of MR Daytona. I had more motor so he kept reeling me in and make consecutive passes on the inside entering Mosses only to have me blast by on the exit. On the last lap it played out the same and I laughed as Chris waved me by knowing that I would be coming again just as I has 3 laps in a row. Nice riding Chris. My personal best was a 1:55 on the 750 on Saturday but I knew I could go alot faster in T1-T4, shifting too much.
We scrambled to prep one of Ozzie's bikes on Sunday morning and I JUST managed to get out on the track for 3rd and final call. Hmmmm, guess the sighting lap will have to be my practice on this bike. Ha, ha. Very nice bike but in a poor state of tune. Junkyard gave me fits and was one of the best races of the weekend for me despite us finishing around 7th and 8th. Turned a 1:56 which wasn't bad considering how bad the tires were and how rich it was running. Super cool capable bike and a good comparision to the highly modded R50S bikes that Junkyard and I are running.

Sundays P1 Open race on my 750 was great as I diced with a Norton that smoked me on Saturday's Heat. On Sunday I had gained some confidence and was able to hang onto him but he'd just walk me on the straights. I'd catch up and show a wheel entering Mosses. In the end I didn't have enough but I settled for a 3rd place. First wood at Mosport for me. Yeah. Got down to 1:50.55 which was about where I set the bar for myself, dropping 4.5 second off from Saturday's best.

BFD, did you get wood? Thanks again for the kids sidecar ride. They always love that. Got a couple of good pics.

We packed alot of family things into a short vacation. We're all whiped out. Drove back straight from Niagra Falls yesterday into the night, 2 pm to 1 am this morning.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Joe,
No camera, don’t think ill see it again, I think the track will find it someday while mowing the lawn,
Kind of weird I really had that sucker mounted on there, and it never occurred to me to put my name on it or anything
And yea I forgot all about the jetting, no rush I just want to try and keep the set together so I got if I need
Are you coming to Loudon? If not see you at summit for sure

·
Registered
623 Posts
It was a great weekend. Weather was perfect and the track is incredible with all the elevation changes and the blind corners. This will definitely be an annual trip.

Joe T had a real tough weekend, working on his bike constantly, most of it made worse by the help of his friends. Sorry man.

It was my first time seeing the sidecars close up. Those guys are N V T S...nuts. And Jersey Girl, are you kidding me, just jumping on and racing? Amazing.

Nice to see everyone again and meet some new folks. Thanks especially to Chris and Mike. Chris for his tutelage. It's fun watching him work and he's very patient with us noobs. Mike, you've got a great place. Thanks feeding us and putting us up for the night.

BTW, just figured out my bike problem. The fuel line quick connect to the right carb wss blocked. Aaaaarrrrrggggg!

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
The fuel line quick connect to the right carb wss blocked. Aaaaarrrrrggggg!

Crap. That happened to me a couple of weeks ago at Loudon. Wish I'd have known. I think I have a gross of those damn viton o-rings.

Craig

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
quote:BFD, did you get wood? Thanks again for the kids sidecar ride. They always love that. Got a couple of good pics.
Nope- missed 3rd by about half a bike length. 2 years in a row. The guy in front of me pulled a good gap going up the back straight and must have thought I was closer than I actually was. He went into 9 (or whatever number that last left is) too hot, and nearly went off the track. I had to roll off a little to avoid the collision as he came back across like a pinball and went inside him going onto the front straight but came up a little short.

Please put up the kid ride photos if they came out, I'd like to see them.

It turned out to be a blessing only having the sidecar. It felt like I made some positive steps maybe because my mind wasn't trying to switch back and forth. I used parts of the track I never would dare on the solo.
It was good to put some faces to the posters here, and talk to others I've never really had the chance to before. Most race weekends I tend to stick close to my trailer so I don't get too nerved out.
If you Baltimore guys make it out to Summit in 2 weeks you're definately invited to set up camp with us

I think you and Jon must have already dipped into next seasons allotment of mechanicals. It's got to get better real soon

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Holy Shit! Even scary to see that in pics.

Just had to drive thru that plume of smoke eh, just like Cole Trickle in Days of Thunder?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I was thinking it was just like an in car camera from a Nascar race as it was happening. And hoping there wasn't somebody laying on the track on the other side of the cloud

There wasn't any oil on the track which considering the gaping hole in the case was a miracle. The belly pan was pretty full though. Maybe the flame helped that out a little too. Glad they got out of it without a scratch.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
no video from races at mosport, the camers snaped off during pratice and was never found, but i did get a little video from pratice, here are a few laps with steve deangelo, dave roper and a guy named brian lourenco he rides in p3 lw hes the green bike really fast on the back straight

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Midge - two things. Why the hell are you passing Roper in practice? Learn son, learn. You're not going to find a better teacher for free. Follow him - even if you have to back off in practice, he'll show you the fast way around. Second, did you see the line that Roper was using going into Moss's corner? That's the line I was telling you to use. Didn't listen to me either.

Craig

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
i didnt think he would stay back there i figured he would take me right back,

i did listen i swear, it just took a few shots to start getting it right,

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Champ - I had a teacher that tried to point out the better way of doing things (you). I'm just passing along tips to the newer guy. And in the not too distant future he'll be passing things along to the next newer guy.

Besides, seems like he's only bringing Kim to the giros. Never where there's real racers hanging out.

Craig

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
ha ha.... when you gonna stop sleepin in the red roof with the sissies and start camping under the stars with the wankers ????

huh midge?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts