Cafe Racer Forum banner

Mostest Special Daytona Exhaust

4K views 38 replies 11 participants last post by  LiLBull 
#1 ·
Here's a 175 2-1 exhaust I just built for a certain person who's going to run it at Daytona....if he pays for it. If he doesn't it's for sale. But you probably don't want to pay what he is....it involves wearing women's undergarments.

Note the one piece pipes...no pre-bends and welds here baby.

http://www.jrbranson.com/showandtell.htm

JohnnyB

#17 ·
Champ,
If you are serious I'll send you samples of the head pipes with flanges, the collector and mid pipe. I need un-wrinkled mandrel bends in 18ga DOM or Stainless tube. For let's say $100 a set.

And don't just hand them to Will Herman and ask if he can have them made....I can do that myself.

I'll bend up custom templates all day if you can get them copied cheap and with decent quality.
JohnnyB

#19 ·
jb,

Your welds are clean. What would it take a veteran like you to teach a young hip/model type guy like me how to weld? Actually, what would you recommend as a do it yourselfer/first timer welding kit? I'm cheap, just keep that in mind. For steel & aluminm welds.

Alex

Whodaman!

#22 ·
alskee,
The secret a lot of good welders don't want to tell anyone is that for the most part it's far less skill than it is knowledge that makes a good weld/welder.
The quality of your welds depends more on the quality of your equipment and your knowledge than it does on what you do with your hands. Most people have more than the required coordination and skill, but don't have the equipment or the knowledge of what materials to use.
TIG welding takes a few days to learn torch handling, feeding the filler and operating the pedal. It takes years to learn what settings work best on a particular project and what filler material, and how to grind the tungsten etc.

By far the cheapeast most versatile welding kit you can get would be a oxy/act gas setup. Problem is...that's the setup that also takes the most skill. With the right tip, the right gas pressure and the right filler rod you'll be gas welding steel pretty well rather quickly. Old time pro's can do aluminun with Oxy/Act....I've never developed that art myself. With gas you can weld, braze, cut, heat, bend, do all kinds of things.
For aluminum...well in my opinion you have to use TIG, and the quality of the welds will be related to the quality of your equipment. Yes, experienced welders can make due with inferior equipment, but it takes years to get to that point.

My advice would be to start with a gas outfit, get a book on gas welding and practice a lot. Gas welding can be done slowly and in a controlled manner that's easier for a beginner to cope with. Arc/TIG/MIG makes things happen fast, and can be frustrating to both handle the equipment and the fundementals of welding at the same time. A gas outfit is easy to understand...fire gets things hot, move the fire away, things get less hot. Gas wins hands down when it comes to cost and versatility. I've got two MIGs, one TIG and a gas setup...I don't use the gas much, only because it's slower. But it will do almost everything the other machines will do, and in expert hands it will do more.

Frank C. has probably forgotten more about gas welding than anyone here will ever know. He'd be a good person to talk to. In general, all I can say for motorcycle work would be to get small torches, easier to handle and control and most of the bike related stuff you will be doing won't require a lot of heat.
JohnnyB

#24 ·
still Im waiting for Champs(edited from sighting the wrong person aaron "The Angry") source for those inexpensive exhausts he mentioned he could get all day for little money.....

model types learning to weld aluminum and steel use this link they have all the books videos and live classes to learn all you need to give up that frivilous life style of modeling and become a real fabricating welding man like JohhnyB

http://metalshapers.org/pros/

Edited by - LiLBull on Nov 05 2005 07:13:00 AM

Edited by - LiLBull on Nov 05 2005 07:15:21 AM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.