Cafe Racer Forum banner
61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
You're right, I'm thinking of Sunday (Bear Ladder to 30 to west Kill). My only faux pas Saturday was going left instead of right but I came out on the same road as I should've, just further away from the next turn. I I don't have my route sheets in front of me.
Yeah, some of that dirt/mud was a challenge for me with my Cheng Shin road tires and near zero off-road experience. Somehow kept it on two wheels though.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
although i wasn't there (sadly) i must concure with dale's sentiments (except i've never minded the distances of any of the legs on previous giros). the colorado 500 is a dirt giro...do that if you don't like pavement. my tacos aren't too precious for the dirt but i love seeing unusual and well restored bikes at the giros. too much dirt and no one will want to bring the high grade. it's not just about the ride...parillas (frank), the occasional mv, and other cool bikes make the giros special. glad no one got hurt...heard it might have been a different story.
-parks

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
hey parks, i tried my best to put a bultaco in the top spot, and it was close,
but in the end flack and snyder where best,
the three of us had a hoot,
it was a fine competition, and the race director did a great job,

·
Registered
61 Posts
Being a newbie (I've only run in the last four Giros) and an outsider to this group (I don't roadrace)I hesitated to add to this thread. But having recently joined the Medicare group (old people), I've lately felt the urge to voice my opinion - even if no one listens.

I think Dale has a valid point. While little can be done about the weather and the camping for me just requires a reasonable level area also I've always felt that food was a personal responsibility, just tell me if there will be food avalable.
But it would be great if someone noticed his comment about the speed. Don't get me wrong I've seen 150 on my roadbikes a bunch of times, but that isn't why I started coming to these events. Last winter I had a chance at a Yamaha YDS-3 and considered moving up to the big bikes, but then I thought, what would be the challenge riding a bike that could easily cover the course in half the alloted time. Last Falls Sunday route over a lot of 50MPH blacktop and this past Saturdays afternoon loop with a 30.6MPH average makes it hard on the little bikes and shows (IMHO) a preference toward the larger and faster machines. This has resulted in fewer small bikes and an increase in the larger bikes, this past weekend there wasn't even one bike in the 50/65cc class that finished the event.
The kicker was when #38 (a fine and talented rider I'm sure) was congratulated and given a round of applause for coming into the check point right on the heels of bikes One and Two, what kind of a message is that sending?
If the purpose here is to have a roadrace why not open it up to 500cc singles and make a proper roadrace out of it.
Excuse me for the long post, I have to go eat my oatmeal now :)

Harry C.

BTW: The route (as usual) was great, I really would like to (and will try) to ride it in the dry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Harry, good points about the speed. I'm always one for driving fast and taking chances, but I don't like to feel pressured into pushing it either. I stepped up to the 250 "big bike" class this year and it was nice having the extra power for some of those hills (I never had to take any in 1st gear unlike my CD175), but it shouldn't be a requirement for staying with the pace. I seem to remember having alot more time to stop for a smoke break, shoot the breeze and enjoy the scenery in 'giros past. I only made one unscheduled stop this year and that was for an emergency bladder vent.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
you guys have a point, especially about coming in fast or early. In an enduro you HAVE to get a stamp if you are within sight. That should apply here too. On the other hand, as THE 50cc rider I gotta say I had a blast. We had to run at WOT for the whole duration without stopping just to have a hope of finishing on time. It was really balls to the wall riding on a ludicrous course (for this bike) and I had a blast. May not be every small bore riders cup of tea. I ended up pulling out not because I was having a bad time or didn't like the course, it was family issues.

We managed an average speed of 35mph for the first section, pretty retarded considering it's on a 1964 super cub! Add the dirt, gravel and grades... let's just say we HAD to push it to make it work. Some stupid 50cc stats:

- made it 79 miles of WOT on 1 gallon of gas! (consider the course)
- top speed indicated on digital speedo: 56mph!(tucked AND drafting)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I think the set up works pretty good, if you build up some time by running fast, you lose it all at the check point and start each section without any built up lead time, last fall there was a section ending at the fair where it seemed even if you went fast the whole way you could not make it on time, I know a few of us ran wide open and just made it, this giro, the pace seemed reasonable me, Rick and Steve where reaching all the points with plenty of time to spare maybe 30 to 40 minuets, and we where all riding in the 200 class and my bike will top out at 55 ish maybe 60 going down hill, I don’t mind the dirt myself but if I had a real pretty bike I may feel otherwise, it may be harder to find quiet back roads the are also paved, remember we had rain so the dirt was mud if the weather had been better they would have been nice little dirt sections rather than the slippery stuff we had,

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Hey Rosko,

As if I don't have enough, do you know if the owner of that Cub you rode wants to sell it?

I WAS going to ride my c100 50cc cub but after I took it for a test ride from the ski resort out to the 4 corners and back (1st gear up the hill, bearly making it with my 215 lbs on the seat) I decided if I wanted to be back before Wednesday I had better ride one of my other bikes.

The bike is much slower than I remember from when I was 11 years old, but then again I am MUCH fatter.

Jack

·
Registered
569 Posts
hmmmmmmmmm, I haven't a good poon (whatever that is) in a long time...parks, are you sniffing the premix again...

dch.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
just thought that guy looked like he was imagining what a 160 without a mud flap would look like.
-parks

·
Registered
569 Posts
so far a 160 mudflap is unobtainium, guess it's wait out ebay and hope something turns up..

d.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
dale,

Might be a little late at this point but... You were on a street ride when somebody with a licensed street bike hit you and damaged your motorcycle. Why isn't their insurance paying to fix your bike? In New York state, where this ride took place, all motorcycles are required to obtain liability insurance. Seems like this would be easy. But it sucks that your bike was damaged. And it sucks that the person that damaged it hasn't stepped up to make it right.
And the price of those mudflaps is crazy.

Good luck,
Craig

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
if i hit and broke another guys bike i would appolgize 100 times then insinst on fixing for them, then appolgize some more,
hey dale it wasn't me was it?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
now i know you love me champ, cause dale told me the whole shut up thing was special code of love between you guys, now i feel special too, thanks buddy i love you too

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I've seen those flaps go for $80-120. Used to see one about every six months on ebay. I think there may be some reproduction pieces out there now.
JohnnyB

61 - 80 of 95 Posts