Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm 17 and I just purchased a 1979 cb750k DOHC in about a million pieces. I'm new to building bikes in general and I'm having a little trouble figuring out how the front motor mount closest to the neck is supposed to be situated. If anyone owns a '79 and is willing to post or send me some pictures of that front motor mount I would really appreciate that. My main problem right now is that I have the "hangars", for lack of a better term, attached on both sides of the frame, but when I slide the bolt through, it seems like its about an inch too long. I don't know if I'm using the wrong bolt, if I'm missing some sort of spacer or bushing, or if my hangars are incorrectly mounted. Any advice, or especially pictures of the motor mounts on a '79 will be very helpful. Thanks. (this is my first time posting on a forum like this so please don't bash me if i don't know the etiquette or what not).

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Do you have a clymer or Haynes manual for the bike?

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Tried to think of some kind and constructive advice I could offer you and it came down to this: Your next first motorcycle (the one to learn to wrench and ride on) should probably have 1 cylinder, 1 carburetor and in a perfect world it should be complete and running when you purchase it. Put that CB750K basket case in a storage unit until your retirement when you need something to consume all your spare time and disposable income.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
If this is starting with boxes of unlabeled parts you should do an inventory before you worry about putting things together. Unless you are a silver spooner you'll likely want to know what it is going to cost to bring your box o' bike to running condition. Missing parts, worn bushings, bearings, seals, cracked carb rubbers, cables, chain, sprockets, tires, tubes, brake pads, all the shit I didn't think of, nor have you. Costs can multiply like rabbits and you will not get your time and money out of it. Is the engine any good, how do you know? In your budget allow $1000 shop labour for dealing with the 4 carbs and another $1000 for gear to keep you from being killed should you get it rideable. Having said all that; part it out, sell it as is but get rid of it and buy a single or twin that won't have you pulling your hair out before you even get the engine mounted.

For doing inventory it's easier to use a parts fiche one component at a time. This is a link that might have a manual if not your best to pay the $50 and get a Honda fsm on ebay.
https://mega.nz/#!oIJD1BoA!QdbWIhNewxnti_eSTcg7sV9tp2k0GLXyoXFVwyu4pgM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts