Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
You obviously haven't seen the movie.:rolleyes:
I have not read the official real story. I wonder how much they embellished in the movie?

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I have not read the official real story. I wonder how much they embellished in the movie?
Very little embellishment. It's a true story. The guys who helped him get it together at the track and help him with the issues so he could break the record were the record holders themselves.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Very little embellishment. It's a true story. The guys who helped him get it together at the track and help him with the issues so he could break the record were the record holders themselves.
That's really cool. Even the pissing on his home cast piston heads? lol Given the condition of the bike in the movie, he would have had to have had giant brass balls to even attempt that.

Record from the grave - news - motoring | Stuff.co.nz

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
That was kind of the bummer for me about the movie actually. I saw it with a bunch of non motorcycle people and I squeee'd like a little school girl when they introduced Rollie Free and everyone looked at me funny because they didn't understand. I felt like they should have played up who some of the people were more, but then again some of the people were composites.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
That's really cool. Even the pissing on his home cast piston heads? lol Given the condition of the bike in the movie, he would have had to have had giant brass balls to even attempt that.

Record from the grave - news - motoring | Stuff.co.nz
You gotta remember that he did that in 1967, balls were bigger because the machines were not what they are today. It was a 1920 Indian and he was 68 when he did it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It does suffer from the Hollywood treatment. The book One Good Run tells the story much more thoroughly. The movie condensed many separate trips and runs into a few to create a dramatic ending. There is a really good documentary that was on the DVD about his last trip to Bonneville.

Scott

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Anybody remember "the masters of menace"? No good bike scenes but cameos by Dan akyroid and John candy. I remember it being hilarious when I was younger, but now it just seems funny.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Anybody remember "the masters of menace"? No good bike scenes but cameos by Dan akyroid and John candy. I remember it being hilarious when I was younger, but now it just seems funny.

Wow, how did I ever miss that movie ( maybe because it was D list movie). Surprised who many name actors were in it, I see James Belushi in there also.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Wow, how did I ever miss that movie ( maybe because it was D list movie). Surprised who many name actors were in it, I see James Belushi in there also.
the Top Fueler in the movie is no joke. Ceriani forks, PM chicane wheels, finless barrels, laydown frame - it was built with all the good parts.

The entire movie is on youtube. Lee Ving from the band Fear plays "Roy" but he his hardly recognizable under the beard and hockey hair.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I'll look that movie up this weekend...mindless entertainment.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts