Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am picking up my CB550 tomorrow, and its getting a new tailsection on it for sure. I have been looking at some pre-fabbed fiberglass sections, especially ones on glass from the past, and i am stumped as how the seats actually get mounted on the bike. Does the stock seat hardware get bolted on? or do you guys just find a way to permanently mount them?

-Also, what are you guys doing for upholstery?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
have gftp upholster it too. i mount all of mine with hinges so i can have storage under there. you are going to have to drill holes in the fiberglass either way you do it. fab up some mounts.

this topic was right before the hiedi topic...i swore i saw "mounting Hiedi". i got excited for nothing. thanks alot.

'72 cb750
'75 cb750
'76cb750
'82 cx500 (but mine is cool, i swear. Why don't you believe me?)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HAHA!

So is it tough to get them mounted on there? just reuse the stock hinges and bolt them on to the fiberglass seat? Do you have any pictures of the underside of a seat that you have installed? Thanks

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
You're gonna have to fab up something that serves the dual purpose of mating the different shapes of the seat pan and the top of the frame AND provides rigidity to the 'glass. The last thing you want to do is hard mount the fiberglass to the frame without some sort of cushion/damper/undercarriage to absorb vibration and the shifting weight of your ass.

I've shaved and shaped 3/4 plywood (cheapest option that works) and built a carriage out of soft steel (think 3/4" channel and 1 1/2" strap, in my case welded together but XS650Joe on this forum made a neat hinged carriage for his RD out of aluminum drilled and bolted together).

It's a bitch to do right, especially if you're not a professional machinist, bodyman or welder, but it can be done with some basic tools and a lot of sitting there staring at it.

Honda go sideways!

http://groups.google.com/group/co-ohvinmoto

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
and the 550 seat hardware does not unbolt from the bottom of the seat so you are going to have to fab something to take the hinge pins (I have had good luck recently with 2 part epoxy and some small tubing).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, thanks for the help guys...would any of you have any pics? or could you snap any of your setups?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I mounted up the seat on my CB450 the easiest way I could think of.

I made a "plate" outta alum. and attached it to the frame. Then I built up the inside of the fiberglass seat with some wood, untill it sat on the bike how I wanted it too. Then I stuck them both together with industrial velcro.

With my weight on the seat it doesnt move an inch, and plus I didnt have to re-invent the wheel to get it to work..

Good luck with your project...

P r o T e a l 5 5
MEMBER: Half Fast Chicago

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice! that is exactly what i was looking for! Gorgeous bike by the way, wish i had a twin.. One question though, whose seat are you using? where did you get it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice! that is exactly what i was looking for! Gorgeous bike by the way, wish i had a twin.. One question though, whose seat are you using? where did you get it?

·
Registered
217 Posts
quote:
Thanks for the kind words on the CB450. I originally built it to sell, but as the build went forward I started to like it..
The seat on the scoot is a replica of a Ducati single seat.

I got it from a place called Clubman Racing Assoc. I believe it was something like $150 shipped (and it came with the pad)...

P r o T e a l 5 5
MEMBER: Half Fast Chicago

Edited by - PROTEAL55 on Feb 12 2008 4:21:35 PM

·
Registered
9 Posts
sorry to revive a dead thread, but.... proteal: you're 450 is amazing. could you let me in on what you did with the battery? did you switch to SLA's and are they under the seat? and if so, how are they bridged? mind sharing some photos? im really at a stand still for what to do with this wretched battery box!!! thanks a bunch...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts